★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Game App Requirements

01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Game App Requirements

I think the following should be available in any game app upon submission.

-screen flip: One of my favrite games, Fastlane doesn't screen flip. So when playing with headphones in (on iphone) leaves the jack in a terrible position (bottom left corner)

-ipod library accesable: Fastlane and many other apps, but not all. Aloows you to play your music, without having to "fool" the device into playing tracks while keeping sound effects. this should be a feature found on every games app

-sound toggle: most games today have the sound toggle via sound/silent switch, but again most have it not all

-interuption save: Nanosaur 2....well lets just say it took a lot of time and reviews for pangea to finally include auto-save or a pick up feature to one of their best titles, in which your constantly flying through the whole game.
But hey the tire was out for decades before someone invented fix-a-flat.
case and point.....with calls and or text we there needs to be some kind of save system for each title, preferably pick where you left off.

sum up: I'd imagine some of these features might not be available with every app because perhaps the app in question might have been made strictly on and ipod so the whole call interuption thing is moot. or perhaps the specific app uses a control scheme based on accelerometer input that won't allow it to be orriented on either said of the device (landscape 180 degrees). now maybe some of these things are a programing restriction, however these are the four hard options/features i check first with any new app. i think these features greatly improve on its playable life and it's fight for it's spot on the home screen.

how does anyone eles feel about these issues.
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
I don't know how likely any of this is, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice.

What I really want is a tilt calibration and on/off option for all games. I'd like the accelerometer to have an option for the iPhone in general so that you can turn it off/on. Sometimes I accidentally turn my iPod too much and the app I'm using will go into landscape mode when I don't want it to. Just a little annoying, but not a big deal.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge

01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that's a good "list" you got there. This kid superbad made something similar a while ago but can't find it.
PS: aren't you that guy that people got mad at for hatin' on Snail Mail? Haha, good stuff.
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
oh hai EDNG.

here is the thread for reference: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1127

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
LoL yes i'm the snail mail guy/antagonist.

I agree....acceleromerter calibration should be a must for any app almost entierly based on that input.

Ironman isn't the best game but i do think it has one of the best calibration options i seen in the app store
01-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
oh hai EDNG.

here is the thread for reference: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1127
Yep, that's the one I was talking about. I agreed with that thread so much I didn't even troll in it. How's that for support?

@RedStar:

LOL. Snail Mail IS childish. I can't believe I wasn't a part of that *sigh*...
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
Yep, that's the one I was talking about. I agreed with that thread so much I didn't even troll in it. How's that for support?
And that was before the RULES got implemented... that means something to EDNG haterz

**GO LAKERS **
01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
just check out superbad thread: you said some funny but very true things.
like app name legnth LoL

well maybe if enough people keep making threads like these,
these features will be standard issue
01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStaR View Post
just check out superbad thread: you said some funny but very true things.
like app name legnth LoL

well maybe if enough people keep making threads like these,
these features will be standard issue
My god. I cannot even put into words to download a game and see that "...". It makes me want to kill myself.

I mean you go into loops and holes into programming apps/games and you DONT KNOW about the ten character limit?

**GO LAKERS **
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I hate the ones with the black background the most. It just ruins the whole fu%^#%$ iPod screen/page...