★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Low RAM Reboot

09-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Low RAM Reboot

Hello everyone. I was curious to find out if anyone else is experiencing the "Low memory, you may need to reboot" message with games like Shake Summit or Bugdom 2? I understand that some other applications may be eating up RAM and may not be giving it back to the system when you quit, and that sometimes force quitting applications may solve this. However, does anyone know of a simpler way of achieving the same results? In other words, is there a way around rebooting the device or force quitting every application you open just so that RAM intensive games won't give you warnings or sometimes just quit back to the home screen? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.
09-27-2008, 12:51 AM
We got that warning on every device we tested for Shaky Summit. iPod touches and iPhones. The problem seems to be memory fragmentation (and maybe leaks in programs other than Summit), if you play the game for long enough you'll eventually get the message. We found that one of the iPhones that was heavily used and loaded with apps would quickly get the memory warning, then crash after 10 minutes of playing. After a reboot if you went into Summit right away, you'd still eventually get the warning but you could play for hours with no crashes.

So, since all devices get the message eventually, on most devices you can just continue playing without problems.

There's no other way I know of than a reboot to fix the issue. The iPhone juggles a lot of virtual memory around, so it's reasonable to assume the system is complicated and just slowly breaks down with fragmentation.

Last edited by dckura; 09-27-2008 at 01:05 AM.
09-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Wow! That's an awesome explanation and a thorough rundown of what's actually taking place. Thanks for the feedback.
09-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah no problem. Thanks for playing our game