★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Jiayi Chong
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 4.6 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Take part in exciting spaceship vs spaceship combat in the far reaches of space! Enjoy fast, fluid gameplay involving laser beams, particle cannons, crazy teleport abilities and more. The game has 5 unique classes of ships with very different abilities and weapons. Unlock them all and fight with your opponents over local-wifi to see who comes out first!

"Spectacular space shooter with great attention to detail and physics that adds a dimension of challenge and realism"
- tipidGamer on TouchArcadeForums

"This game has a great visual style and presentation. It has a flare all its own worth taking note of... If your big on shooters this is a good pickup."
- Chrono Gear

Features:

- Duke it out with your friends over local wifi.

- 5 unique ship classes and 10 different weapon abilities.

- Play a variety of single player missions to unlock the 5 different ships.

- Post your high scores onto a global high score board for both single and multiplayer.

- Supports customized left and right-handed interface controls.

How to play

Piloting your ship is easy. Tap ANYWHERE on the screen and drag. This will cause your ship to move in the direction of where you dragged.
Your ship has 2 weapons that are activated by tapping(or holding, depending on the weapon) on the 2 buttons situated at the lower corners of the screen.

For more information:
http://spaceduel-combat.blogspot.com/

Feedback and feature requests are welcomed.

jychong's comments:
Hello everyone,
we are pleased to announce the release of SpaceDuel!

Video of game:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Please check it out on the app store! Comments and feedback are welcome

thanks!
Developer of SpaceDuel!
12-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks neat. Are you going to make a lite version?

12-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes that might happen but first I need to take a break after this project :P
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Oops and I forgot to post the description of the game:

Take part in exciting spaceship vs spaceship combat in the far reaches of space! Enjoy fast, fluid gameplay involving laser beams, particle cannons, crazy teleport abilities and more. The game has 5 unique classes of ships with very different abilities and weapons. Unlock them all and fight with your opponents over local-wifi to see who comes out first!

Features:

- Duke it out with your friends over local wifi.

- 5 unique ship classes and 10 different weapon abilities.

- Play a variety of single player missions to unlock the 5 different ships.

- Post your high scores onto a global high score board for both single and multiplayer.

- Supports customized left and right-handed interface controls.

How to play

Piloting your ship is easy. Tap ANYWHERE on the screen and drag. This will cause your ship to move in the direction of where you dragged.
Your ship has 2 weapons that are activated by tapping(or holding, depending on the weapon) on the 2 buttons situated at the lower corners of the screen.

For more information:
http://spaceduel-combat.blogspot.com/

Feedback and feature requests are welcomed
12-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Looks nice

I am wondering how the ship controls in terms of rotating. Anyone tried ? I love touch controls for vertical and horizontal shooters but wondering if it works here ?
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Hello there,
basically you tap and drag anywhere on screen to make the ship move in the direction you want. This allows you to use one hand to pilot and the other to shoot. There are control schemes for both right and left handed modes.

thanks!
Developer of SpaceDuel
12-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Awww! Denied... It is compiled to support OS 3.1 and up only! I was going to check it out because it reminds me of the battle sequences in Star Control, but my development phone is staying on 3.0 for few more months at least.

Are you using CADisplayLink or any other fancy 3.1 features? If not, you should recompile on 3.0 and submit an update because you're losing out on half of your potential customers

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Yea unfortunately I am using CADisplayLink for the frame updates... it's a lot smoother. My apologies for making it 3.1 ... I think I should put in a fallback mechanism so that it relies on NSTimer?
Again my apologies for that issue.

thanks,
Developer of SpaceDuel
12-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jychong View Post
Yea unfortunately I am using CADisplayLink for the frame updates... it's a lot smoother. My apologies for making it 3.1 ... I think I should put in a fallback mechanism so that it relies on NSTimer?
Again my apologies for that issue.

thanks,
Developer of SpaceDuel
No need to apologize, it's understandable if you need that extra performance! Apple should be apologizing for not giving us CADisplayLink in the intial 3.0 release Now the App Store market is fragmented, and you have to either swallow the fact that a lot of people can't buy your game, or create a fallback as you describe that may not be as great performing, which could also upset people.

If you ever do that, I'm buying, and I am sure that many other people will buy it too. The amount of polish you put into this really shows in the video you made. Keep up the good work

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Well thanks for the encouragement! As a side note, you might want to give CADisplayLink a go if you move to 3.1 eventually... it does give you better FPS...