★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Bugdom help please

09-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Bugdom help please

On level 2, I have SOMEHOW managed to get the red key from the middle of the pool and opened the red gate. Then the snail tells me I have to squash all the trail of berries before he will give me a key at the other end. This is where I am stuck. I am assuming I have to move the ball, as walking over the berries does nothing, as does kicking them. But how to I move the ball?
I tried walking into it, kicking it, and picking it up, to no avail.
Help please.
On a side note, this game is REALLY flippin' frustrating me with its control! I have turned the sensitivity down to minimum, and do use the button at the bottom to stand still, but sometimes he seems to walk really slow like I want, and others he just races around like a headless chicken, and runs around an acorn several times before I finally manage to pick up the flippin' thing! Arghhh! To be honest, I know I am asking for help on this one section, but I am contemplating just removing the app altogether until they do something with the controls.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 09-27-2008 at 06:09 AM.
09-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Never mind- found out you have to jump on top of the ball. Should have thought of that. Still stick by my comments on the controls though. Also, I wish you could save at points through the level too rather than at the end of each level. This game at the moment, isn't suited for mobile gaming because of this.

09-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I understand

Hey there. I'm with you on the controls. Sometimes, they seem quite stiff and other times I have no control over the little guy. I too have used the neutral button but it still seems a bit off. I've already erased the game from my phone and won't be putting it back on until they update it. I think Pangea has a hit on their hands, but they do need to adjust the control scheme a tad. We'll see. They're a great company, so I'm sure we're bound to see an update in the near future.
09-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Hi. Yes, I removed the app yesterday. I managed to reach the toy room level, and it was this level that annoyed me enough to remove the app. Basically there are toy blocks that you can push up to walls then use them to jump on so you can go over the wall. Problem was you'd only have to get close to the block for the bug to start pushing it, even though it is already against the bloomin' wall, and even though all you want to do is JUMP ON IT! It got to the stage I was shouting at my iPod Touch "Just JUMP on the flippin' box you IDIOT!" I played the level for what seemed like a good 20 minutes, and reached a part where the snail wanted me to find 4 jigsaw pieces to finish his jigsaw before he would give me the key. This involved moving one of the blocks to a wall and jumping over the wall, killing some more enemies, finding a jigsaw piece, going back to the wall, moving a block the other side to jump back over, put the piece into the jigsaw, moving the block back against the wall (because for some strange reason the blocks kept moving back to their original places!!!!!) etc etc. Problem was (apart from pushing the blocks when wanting to jump on them etc etc) I couldn't find the last piece for the life of me. I searched everywhere 3 times. Then after a good half hour just on this one level, I thought I could really do with a break as I was getting very fed up with it. Only problem is, YOU CAN'T SAVE UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE LEVEL- ARGHHHH! When levels take this long to complete, how can they call this a mobile game? You should be able to save WHERE EVER YOU ARE in a level! Yes, this would make completing it easier, but at least it won't be so bloomin' frustrating! NO game in the last 20 years has ever got me so wound up as this game has, I really mean it. I wanted to like it with it's great characters, graphics, and sound, but the old saying stood true- good graphics don't make a good game.
09-29-2008, 07:37 AM
I really like this game. I haven't made it as far as you yet (I'm sure those blocks are going to tick me off), but I'm not having trouble with the controls. To me the neutral button solves everything. The Neutral button has 3 functions:
1. you stop- this makes control easier than I've found a number of console games, especially when jumping from leaf to leaf.
2. It recalibrates your neutral position as far as up/down goes while you hold it down. If you hold it steady when you let go of the button, you'll notice that you don't move when you let go, even if that position made you move just before you pressed the button. You get wildly variable control responses if you don't realize you're doing this.
3. As far as left/right goes, you choose which way to face without running around- Left/Right does not effect calibration. The only problem with this function is that it should automatically orient the camera behind you when you pess the button- but it doesn't.

They don't fully/properly explain this in the onscreen instructions as well as a few other elements of the game. It took me forever to figure out the difference between stawberries and blueberries. I mean, it became obvious that stawberries were life the first time I died. But the blueberries made no sense forever- they are for flying. You use up blueberries when you fly and you can't fly if you don't have any. There's already a review on the app store that says he doesn't fly when you tell him to. It would greatly behoove Pangea to explain such things so people don't complain about bugs that aren't really bugs.

The real gripe with this game is the gripe I have with most games. I need to SAVE SAVE SAVE d@#n it! Not only do you have to get to the end of the level to save- it doesn't refill your stats at the end of each level! You save how many strawberries, blueberries, and lives you had every time you save- so if you die at all trying to finish early evels, you should probably start over because I bet you'll NEED those extra lives to complete the later levels. Every time I quit it should save it right where I am! Why is this extremely simple concept so difficult for devs to see the importance of?

Last edited by davidmdowning42; 09-29-2008 at 07:50 AM.
09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
The real gripe with this game is the gripe I have with most games. I need to SAVE SAVE SAVE d@#n it! Not only do you have to get to the end of the level to save- it doesn't refill your stats at the end of each level! You save how many strawberries, blueberries, and lives you had every time you save- so if you die at all trying to finish early evels, you should probably start over because I bet you'll NEED those extra lives to complete the later levels. Every time I quit it should save it right where I am! Why is this extremely simple concept so difficult for devs to see the importance of?
I completely agree with this, considering this is a mobile phone platform where short 5-15 minute gaming sessions here and there are common the lack of frequent save spots is galling. And what is a person supposed to do if the phone rings while your playing the game? Maybe I'm too fussy, but this was a big enough problem that I just quit playing the game. It's too bad, it was a fun game otherwise (Though i freakin' hated the sewers!)
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't hold your breath.

None of Pangea's 3D platform games for Mac (Bugdom, Bugdom 2, Otto-Matic, etc.) allow in-level saves, let alone save-anywhere. So I wouldn't hold my breath for this feature to be included in an iPhone version. These are shortish games (10 levels each) to begin with, it's a cheap way to make them seem longer. Don't get me wrong, I loved those games and love Pangea, but they've never really built a decent save system into their game engine.
09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom-22 View Post
None of Pangea's 3D platform games for Mac (Bugdom, Bugdom 2, Otto-Matic, etc.) allow in-level saves, let alone save-anywhere. So I wouldn't hold my breath for this feature to be included in an iPhone version. These are shortish games (10 levels each) to begin with, it's a cheap way to make them seem longer. Don't get me wrong, I loved those games and love Pangea, but they've never really built a decent save system into their game engine.
If thats the case, then Bugdom won't be finding its way back onto my Touch then, and I'll keep my negative review up in iTunes.
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Just because they didn't do it on a computer, doesn't mean they wouldn't rethink it for a mobile platform. 'Specially if they get enough feed back. Even being able to save at the various check points would be a huge improvement. This issue just doesn't matter as much when you play it on a computer. You expect to be there for a while and a simple pause will enable you to deal with distractions at home. I haven't tried it, but I'll bet you could keep a paused game running in the background on your Mac indefinitely. But this is a game for a phone. A phone that needs to be answered, and a phone that doesn't allow anything to run in the background.

Super Monkey Ball changed their ways. I don't think Sega was in the habit of making it overly easy to save your progress in their games before they came to this platform. Took 'em forever to add the "Resume Previous Game" function, but they DID do it. That's the great thing about the no hard media distribution system. Devs can release updates based on the feedback their users give them. If they're not going to do that, I think it will make them look bad as a company. If every little indie dev is reacting to criticism with updates, and even Sega responds to the pressure, then I think a precedent is set for this market. Not following this widespread precedent will ultimately make a company stand out and appear to not care about their users. Not a smart move.

Last edited by davidmdowning42; 10-01-2008 at 07:58 AM.
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
Just because they didn't do it on a computer, doesn't mean they wouldn't rethink it for a mobile platform.
Maybe, but I just don't see it. These games are 6-8 years old, leveraged from the Mac versions, and they're topping the download lists as is. What financial incentive does Pangea have for investing development time and resources into adding any significant feature to games whose prices are bottoming out at $1-4?

I think your Sega example is a rare exception -- and note that Sega has not dropped the price of SMB. People are going to be disappointed if they're expecting the big game companies to be as responsive to feature requests as the indie devs are -- it just doesn't happen on any platform, the iPhone won't be an exception. You can look at the non-responsive companies as "not caring about their customers" but most gamers will see it for what it is: game companies, like any other, try to maximize profits and without high profits there'd be no high-quality games.

Personally I'd rather have Pangea working on a new *Mac* game (to be adapted to iPhone, of course). I'd pay $30-40 to play a full-screen Bugdom 3 or Otto Matic 2!