★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone goes Quad-Core?

01-10-2009, 09:10 AM
iPhone goes Quad-Core?

One of the most interesting rumors I’ve been tracking here at Macworld Expo in San Francisco surrounds the mysterious four-core iPhone. While the current iPhone has (roughly) the processing power of the Sony PSP, an upgraded four core iPhone would slaughter pretty much every portable gaming platform on the market. The other part of the story is firmware 3.0, which is said to be required on the iPhone “quad.”

Imagination Technologies will announce the PowerVR SGX543 at CES tomorrow (TGDaily), it’s the firm’s first multi-core capable GPU technology and Apple could have access to it.

Judging how well games like Brothers In Arms - Hour of Heroes and Armageddon Squadron look and play on the current iPhone I think that Nintendo and Sony are probably quite worried about about the next iPhone hardware platform.

Or are they?

Source

--------------------------------------------------------------
Touch Arcade Developer's Group Coordinator
Follow me on Twitter

Guidelines To Offering & Receiving Services

Last edited by Zandog; 01-10-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: GPU was already mentioned.
01-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I hope it happens.. Its times like this that I am so glad I picked the iDevices to develop for

-Altrez

01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I'd rank this rumor under the "pretty ridiculous" column.

The requirements for additional memory bandwidth to feed a multi-core CPU and a matching GPU, and the resulting power drain on a device that's already struggling with its battery life make this highly unlikely.

Maybe the tech could be used in the rumored 9" iPod or a device of similar class, but for a phone that tech sounds overkill to say the least.
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
it'll be cool and all, but i won't be willing to buy the 3rd gen ipod touch

99% of the games that i play don't require mega processing power

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I for one welcome our new quad core overlords...
Seriously though, it would be a big drain on the battery I'd imagine, but I don't mind and the thought of a firmware 3.0 makes my pants feel happy...

Gamecenter:1337brian
01-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frand View Post
i'd rank this rumor under the "pretty ridiculous" column.

The requirements for additional memory bandwidth to feed a multi-core cpu and a matching gpu, and the resulting power drain on a device that's already struggling with its battery life make this highly unlikely.

Maybe the tech could be used in the rumored 9" ipod or a device of similar class, but for a phone that tech sounds overkill to say the least.
qft!
01-10-2009, 01:14 PM
im all for it its just better
01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Good luck with that one....especially since APPLE COMPUTERS don't even have quad-cores in them (except for the Mac Pro)

It would be cool to see even a dual core in the new iphones (although somewhat useless because you can't multi-task and it would drain the battery)

My guess is that Apple will be improving the CUP and RAM in their iPhones and iPod Touches slowly and won't tell anybody about it. This is already happening with the iPod Touch 2G!

Plus, you'd have all the iphones and ipods obsolete basically if apple immediately jumps to a much higher CUP or RAM amount...and I can't see apple doing that from a business stand-point (even if it would be cool).
01-14-2009, 04:40 AM
The talked about switch from PowerVR MBX to SGX would make all the difference for me. The CPU I barely tax as is, and I'm not even using SIMD instructions yet. A mere doubling or tripling of the fill rate would do wonders.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
01-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Could we stop with the nonsense of MBX being 'more powerful' than the PSP? Was Dreamcast 'more powerful' than PS2?