★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

making a game... help

12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
making a game... help

can someone tell me how to make a game lol

i have a really good idea
12-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Well I just started so i dont really know much, but I have gotten some tips from devs on TA. I think you should start by learning C++/objC right? Then download the sdk for free from http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ if you dont want to pay the 99 dollars right now. It REALLY helps by looking at codes for apps.

Then once your basic foundation is set and your game design is well planned out, go for the $99 developing.

12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Well I just started so i dont really know much, but I have gotten some tips from devs on TA. I think you should start by learning C++/objC right? Then download the sdk for free from http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ if you dont want to pay the 99 dollars right now. It REALLY helps by looking at codes for apps.

Then once your basic foundation is set and your game design is well planned out, go for the $99 developing.
hmmmmmmm..... thanks for your help! i think i have a lot of learning to do
12-05-2009, 11:34 PM
You should prolly contact a real dev and ask him. Im pretty sure theres more to it than that.
oh and you need a mac
12-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Quote:
oh and you need a mac
Really? I have a mac, but why is that?
12-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
Really? I have a mac, but why is that?
The SDK can only be run on a Mac.
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
If you have a Mac, download XCode and start developing. Apple provides an emulator that lets you test and develop your applications. If you want to transfer the app to your device (yes, even one you own) it will cost $99/year for a developer license.

If you have a development background, jumping in is very easy. If you don't, you might consider learning an easier language / platform first. Objective-C isn't that bad, but I've found it to be more difficult than similar languages like C# and Java.

Once you've downloaded the SDK, you may want to take a look at some existing code. I highly recommend Cocos2D which is a 2D game engine that GREATLY reduces the amount of effort needed to get started writing games for iPhone.
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
If you have a Mac, download XCode and start developing. Apple provides an emulator that lets you test and develop your applications. If you want to transfer the app to your device (yes, even one you own) it will cost $99/year for a developer license.

If you have a development background, jumping in is very easy. If you don't, you might consider learning an easier language / platform first. Objective-C isn't that bad, but I've found it to be more difficult than similar languages like C# and Java.

Once you've downloaded the SDK, you may want to take a look at some existing code. I highly recommend Cocos2D which is a 2D game engine that GREATLY reduces the amount of effort needed to get started writing games for iPhone.
thank you for your help but i have no background whatsoever in making games... i have a mac and an iphone (obviously) and a great game idea but i have no clue how to make a game.... maybe i will take an online course or something.... idk
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmonkey101 View Post
thank you for your help but i have no background whatsoever in making games... i have a mac and an iphone (obviously) and a great game idea but i have no clue how to make a game.... maybe i will take an online course or something.... idk
you could also try to gather a team (progammers, artist, etc.)

Beta tester for Pocket God, Minigore, Towers of War, Airstrike Defense & 9 Innings 2011 - Join TAD - Join TAD: Touch Arcade Defenders! and Canucks of TA - Contact me if you want your game translated or betatested!
12-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu914 View Post
you could also try to gather a team (progammers, artist, etc.)
Not another one!

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ