★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

forum idea: separate subforum for promo code threads?

View Poll Results: Should Promo codes have their own forum section
YES- Allocate a new forum section 46 74.19%
NO- Keep promo threads in the game section 16 25.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll
01-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to costanza
forum idea: separate subforum for promo code threads?

Personally, I think the clutter of all the threads for promo codes and random giveaways in the main forum is getting to be a bit ridiculous. IMO it'd be a really good idea to separate the threads from the actual game discussion and give them their own subforum.

Thoughts?
01-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Agreed. For me being from Europe it makes me sad to see these topics anyway, I won't be able to participate in the giveaways.

Stefan

01-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Ok, so I take the whole afternoon off to watch my Cardinals embarrass the Panthers and when I log back on all I see is the Games section spammed with all this promo crap. Just take a look at this: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=3601. Something has to be done about this. Here's a couple of ideas:
  1. Only the developer or representative of that game can issue promo codes, not regular members.
  2. Spamming those threads by directly asking for a promo code (even if the dev is handing them out) or posting something like "am I too late" or "I always miss these things" should result in an immediate ban. The length of which can be negotiated depending on the severity
  3. or
  4. Like the OP suggested, make a new Subforum for this kind of thing where posts do not count towards your total since what they truly are is spam.
Thank you for your time...
01-11-2009, 04:48 AM
I agree. I am getting VERY fed up with seeing all these promo code threads that don't have anything to do with actual game discussion. I vote for a seperate section or a ban of such threads.
Something does indeed need to be done about this now.
01-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Just checked the Games section and found there are (at the time of writing) SIX threads based on promo codes.
Another Spore promo code
1 promo code for Spore
200 promo codes for Spore after survey
One free paper airplane code
One tilt-it promo code
Follow me on Twitter, get a Spore promo code

I will close the last one as all he is doing is advertising his Twitter page.

[edit] just deleted the last one. I'm not taking any sh!t now.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 01-11-2009 at 05:03 AM.
01-11-2009, 05:18 AM
PLEASE ban promo code threads... They do NO good. All it does is attract the vultures who lurk all day for codes. Just look how huge those topics get.

The topics add nothing to the forum and just attract the wrong kind of people. Not to mention that hardly any of the contributive forum members ever get these codes.

If we don't want to ban the topics, then at least make a sub-forum for all promo codes threads. Make this subforum invisible to anyone with less than X aamount of posts, so that the people that contribute to the forum can get free games instead of people who lurk all day for codes *COUGH*ipodtouchguru3*COUGH*
01-11-2009, 05:19 AM
I have sent a PM to Arn linking this thread.
01-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Or start an "All Threads Must Include a Promo Code" policy.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
01-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree, i was just thinking about starting a thread about seperating the promo codes from the main forums...
it is clutter..and looks bad
and it has made me stop checking the forums which is the reason why i essentially visit toucharcade
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
and it has made me stop checking the forums which is the reason why i essentially visit toucharcade
Agreed. The promo code madness has been a real turn off for me