★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft responds to complaints of 'copycat' iPhone games.

12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
12-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah, we went over this in our Gameloft press event post-game podcast. It pretty much comes down to their a multi-million dollar international corporation because they're making games people want to buy. You can try to extrapolate whatever you want out of that regarding their business or development ethics, but the fact remains, people are buying their games... And at a premium price.

12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Yeah, we went over this in our Gameloft press event post-game podcast. It pretty much comes down to their a multi-million dollar international corporation because they're making games people want to buy. You can try to extrapolate whatever you want out of that regarding their business or development ethics, but the fact remains, people are buying their games... And at a premium price.
And if people are consitently buying their games, is there a need to shill? I think not! Case close.
12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Does the article mention why they make really lame poorly animated, terrible voice acted, storyless garbage? I also didn't see them mention why "modern" combat is played with seemingly vietnam era weaponry? Also have they determined when they might actually give the characters some.....well..character?

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
12-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
But were Gameloft not to synthesise the best elements from genre-topping titles, the criticism would concern the company's unwillingness to learn from its competitors.
I like their use of the word "synthesise." It sounds much nicer than "copy" or "rip off." They're not just "synthesizing" elements. They're taking entire concepts and changing only some elements. But I can't complain too much about them doing this. I own a few of their games, and I find most of them to be very enjoyable. I just wish a little more work went into the stories and voice acting. The voice acting in Blades of Fury is shockingly awful.
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
The games bring console experiences to the iPhone that the original developers would NOT be able to imitate themselves. Gameloft is the EA/Nintendo/Sony of teh iPhone, so for example Halo, I can bet that Bungie would not be able to do a better job of porting it to the iPhone than Gameloft would. Regardless of name change.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to RankoSao
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsharpfilm View Post
I like their use of the word "synthesise." It sounds much nicer than "copy" or "rip off." They're not just "synthesizing" elements. They're taking entire concepts and changing only some elements. But I can't complain too much about them doing this. I own a few of their games, and I find most of them to be very enjoyable. I just wish a little more work went into the stories and voice acting. The voice acting in Blades of Fury is shockingly awful.
Well said, very well said. I was pleasantly surprised by Real Tennis myself..and now i start to feel like im beating a dead horse since this is like the 35th time ive mentioned it..
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
The games bring console experiences to the iPhone that the original developers would NOT be able to imitate themselves. Gameloft is the EA/Nintendo/Sony of teh iPhone, so for example Halo, I can bet that Bungie would not be able to do a better job of porting it to the iPhone than Gameloft would. Regardless of name change.
Ppppsssshhaahahahahahahaa.......ohhhh......just re-read your post, it's effing hilarious.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
All I can say is support your local indie developer. No indies aren't immune to producing garbage nor copies, but we make the effort to bring something new to the platform.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to tzual
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickitty View Post
all i can say is support your local indie developer. No indies aren't immune to producing garbage nor copies, but we make the effort to bring something new to the platform.
buy flickitty

Openfeint: Tzual12
GameCenter, Plus+, AGON, Crystal: Tzual

Feel free to add me