★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: " the definitive source for puzzles for iOS" -- the New York Times

Download and play crossword puzzles right on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one tap you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!

The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just got even better!

New: Sync your puzzles with Crosswords for Mac; Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
Get new puzzles every day
Touch and hold a square to view hints on iPad
Enter Numbers and other special characters by holding down keys
One tap downloads all of today's puzzles
Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date or provider
Detailed info on each puzzle
Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
Grab older puzzles with a tap
Tap the clue list with two fingers to adjust the font size (iPad only)

Included Puzzle Sources:
Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
Elizabeth C. Gorski's Crossword Nation
Inkwell Crossword
Jonesin'
Chronicle of Higher Education
The Independent
King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
People Magazine (archives only)
Newsday
Andy Kravis, Cruciverbist at Law
Glutton for Pun
MacNamaras Band
Murchies Monday Fills
Neville Fogarty
Puzzle Express
The Stickler Weekly
World of Crosswords

Premium Crosswords subscription required:
NY Times
Matt Gaffneys Crossword Contest
Telegraph UK Quick, Toughie & Cryptic Crosswords
American Values Crossword
Crooked Crosswords

Additional puzzles downloadable via the Puzzle Browser; browse the web and download more!

Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may still have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option.
For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com

Tips:
You can tap on the clue text at the bottom of the screen to toggle across & down
Rotate the screen to see both the puzzle and clues
Touch for a moment then drag to precisely select a square.
Touch the Plus to download older puzzles

Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Syncing puzzles to your Mac requires the purchase of Crosswords from the Mac App Store. Multiplayer requires iOS 6.0 or later.

Geoffwb's comments:
Hi everyone! Players of Crosswords, by Stand Alone, Inc. have just solved their 500,000th crossword puzzle!

Congratulations to the fantastic fan-base that made this mile stone possible, because that's a ton of puzzles!

If you dig solving crossword puzzles, and you haven't tried it on your iPhone or iPod touch, check out Crosswords now! You can download and solve daily puzzles from over 30 of the top newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal, the Village Voice, the Onion and many more.

Even if you cant find your favorite puzzle in the App, Crosswords lets you import puzzles from the web. This, combined with in-app support for premium subscriptions to puzzles such as the New York Times, lets users play virtually any crossword currently printed.

We're interested in your thoughts and feedback about Crosswords, so let us know in this thread!

You can also check out the intuitive interface, and custom keyboard with Crosswords Light, which has a great catalogue of sample puzzles!

Here's a quick list of great features:
  • New puzzles every day
  • Intuitive, one tap downloads for all of todays puzzles
  • Quick puzzle sorting by recently played, date or provider
  • Nearly unlimited puzzles from tons of different sites
  • Support for puzzle importing
  • US, UK, French and Australian puzzles
  • Puzzle completion tracker and timer
  • Leader boards compare solving speeds
  • Facebook and Twitter support for auto posting your times
  • Hints let you peek at clue letters (or the entire puzzle!)
  • Access to Wikipedia definitions, Wiktionary, Answers.com and Reference.com once a clue is solved
  • Detailed puzzle meta data
  • A massive catalogue of classic puzzles at the tap of a finger

Links:
Crosswords iTunes Link: http://itunes.com/apps/Crosswords
Crossword Light: http://itunes.com/apps/CrosswordLight
Crosswords website: http://standalone.com/iphone/crosswords/
Stand Alone website: http://standalone.com/
12-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I have thought about buying this but I think 10 dollars is too much. $5 or $7 soundd better to me.

Playstaion Network: zachattacksox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijib View Post
my guns are so big i cant scratch my nose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate View Post
Why would you hold firearms while scratching your nose?
12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
It's just about the most expensive app I've purchased - but it is well done. I tried the Light version (I used the Light version for a long time, never got through all those puzzles, and still decided to buy the full version). The Light version comes with a large selection of them, so I would definitely give it a try to see if it's something you'd like to do. It's great on plane rides.......
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtime View Post
It's just about the most expensive app I've purchased - but it is well done. I tried the Light version (I used the Light version for a long time, never got through all those puzzles, and still decided to buy the full version). The Light version comes with a large selection of them, so I would definitely give it a try to see if it's something you'd like to do. It's great on plane rides.......
Absolutely check out the free version of Crosswords. The interface and experience is identical to the paid version. The latter enables you to download and solve your favorite puzzles as the come out, as well as share your solution times with the community!

Apptly: Making Fantastic apps with <3 in Brooklyn. www.appt.ly