★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Paying for Reviews

12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 58
Paying for Reviews

A lot of review sites offer a sped up review process if you pay a small fee. Since getting sites to review our games has been like pulling teeth, I'm wondering if anyone on here has used the paid review process. If so, which sites are the best ones to do this with? Thanks!
12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanJ View Post
A lot of review sites offer a sped up review process if you pay a small fee. Since getting sites to review our games has been like pulling teeth, I'm wondering if anyone on here has used the paid review process. If so, which sites are the best ones to do this with? Thanks!
Don't pay for a review, you may as well buy an ad. Chances are that you won't make your money back either way. Your money would be put to better use by buying a gift card and using it as a prize to promote your game.

A $15 card is all you need.

Furthermore, WHY ISN'T YOUR GAME IN YOUR SIG?

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,151
Don't pay for reviews. Don't offer to pay for reviews. Seriously.

An illustrative story: http://theportablegamer.com/2009/12/...-app-reviewed/
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 58
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was just curious because several sites I contacted with a free promo code wrote back (several weeks after the code expired) saying they were sorry to take so long but they'd review the game for $35. Seems kind of lame to me, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I assumed it was a bad idea, and this kind of confirms it.

P.S. I've been thinking of getting my game in my sig. I should definitely do that!
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanJ View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was just curious because several sites I contacted with a free promo code wrote back (several weeks after the code expired) saying they were sorry to take so long but they'd review the game for $35. Seems kind of lame to me, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I assumed it was a bad idea, and this kind of confirms it.

P.S. I've been thinking of getting my game in my sig. I should definitely do that!
$35? You'd go broke, I promise.

Don't send promo codes blindly- if they respond then send the promo code. I don't give a rat's ass what any single sites policy is, DO NOT send a promo code blindly. You'd be better off using it in a promotion.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-09-2009, 03:31 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, OR, Cascadia
Posts: 332
Agreed with the other posters. There's no true profit to be found in most reviews. Your "payment" should be none other than a promo code, and only when they ask you for it.

Just to do quick math: let's say you spend $35 for a site to review a $1 game. And let's assume the review is good. How many folks, who otherwise would not buy the game, would buy it thanks to the review?

70 cents income per sale = 50 copies sold to break even
%1 buy-thru rate means 5000 review readers
%5 but-thru rate means 1000 review readers

And those numbers are, honestly, super idealistic.

The best scenario I have had happen was when I paid $20 for a Xeno Sola ad on a popular board game news site. While the ad didn't pay for itself, it did catch the attention of one of their reviewers. He asked for a promo and his kind review netted me probably $50 new income.... nice, but obviously not impressive and not likely to happen often.
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Zgrunturos and San Francisco
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylux View Post
Don't pay for reviews. Don't offer to pay for reviews. Seriously.

An illustrative story: http://theportablegamer.com/2009/12/...-app-reviewed/
But $300 seemed like a reasonable offer. Just kidding!

I agree with the sentiment that paying for an "expedite review" fee isn't worth it. It seems that there are really only a few sites that really have enough traffic anyways, so many of those sites asking for fees won't even reach a lot of people.

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!
12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
Don't send promo codes blindly- if they respond then send the promo code. I don't give a rat's ass what any single sites policy is, DO NOT send a promo code blindly. You'd be better off using it in a promotion.
I'd have to aggree. My new game was approved last week and I sent out ~30 promo codes to review sites on Friday - so far only 9 have been redeemed

I also got a half-dozen or so requests for review copies and out of those a few strongly recommended that paying for a review was best, and one only offered paid "reviews" (WTF?). That lead me to write this (timely) tweet earlier today: http://twitter.com/ChaoticBox/status/6501853629

I'm not against review sites making money, and I don't mind if they point out their advertising rates when replying to my review request, but asking to be paid to to write a review or for "priority" is just sleazy.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Condello View Post

I'm not against review sites making money, and I don't mind if they point out their advertising rates when replying to my review request, but asking to be paid to to write a review or for "priority" is just sleazy.
I agree with this. It seems like a true review site should review the games their customers would like the most, not those of developers willing to pay.

I just have had such little interest from sites reviewing my games that I was willing to try, but I think I'll just keep on trying without paying for reviews. Thanks guys!
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
#10
Sounds like a scam to me.

I've just been reading about the shenanigans that zynga has admitted to. And now they're estimated to be worth $1 billion.