★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

1.99 to 0.99?

12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
1.99 to 0.99?

Hi just had a question...

My game "Stickman Dan's Dreamfall" has just got released, and so far I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. However, in the back of my mind, I feel like people won't buy it because it is worth 1.99 instead of 0.99. Should I try to stick to this original pricing, because I think its worth 1.99, or make a sale, or at least a Christmas sale or something.

Also made a blog post sort of related to this.
http://teamdropkick.wordpress.com/

Artist and dev for Team Dropkick
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Short sales are good every once in a while. Lots of price-tracking sites (like this one) post when an app has a sales drop. In my experience, there's a small spike where you make more money, then it evens out with the income you'd get at $2.

12-09-2009, 04:04 PM
That isn't a stickman, he has a body that goes beyond 1 pixel width.

Also, don't sell your app what you think it's worth, sell your app what your customers will think it's worth.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
i posted a review on http://pocketfullofapps.com/ and i gave a lot of suggestions because i felt this game could be improved...one of those things i said was that i felt the game was not worth 1.99...but ill let you make up your mind

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglover411 View Post
i posted a review on http://pocketfullofapps.com/ and i gave a lot of suggestions because i felt this game could be improved...one of those things i said was that i felt the game was not worth 1.99...but ill let you make up your mind
Yeah, thank you for the review. I also made a comment over ther about how I couldn't currently implement certain features you asked because of limitation to the program I use, but I guess dropping the price is best if that's what the people want. I just don't wanna be a dev that makes dumb 0.99 cent apps.

12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfright View Post
i just don't wanna be a dev that makes dumb 0.99 cent apps.
hey!

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
That isn't a stickman, he has a body that goes beyond 1 pixel width.

Also, don't sell your app what you think it's worth, sell your app what your customers will think it's worth.
Okay, I'll try that too, but that's how I usually draw stick people.

I read countless things about semi secret saying that canabalt to them was worth 2.99, and they got flames because of that. People think their app is worth less than that, but it could just be very important to semi secret. But thats just my word on the subject.

I'm probably gonna do an indefinite price drop after postng this.

12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Quote:
I just don't wanna be a dev that makes dumb 0.99 cent apps.
You'd prefer to be the dev that makes dumb $1.99 apps?

Not saying your apps are dumb, it's just that making $0.99 apps shouldn't be frowned upon. The games I play the most were 99 cents when I bought them.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
12-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
You'd prefer to be the dev that makes dumb $1.99 apps?

Not saying your apps are dumb, it's just that making $0.99 apps shouldn't be frowned upon. The games I play the most were 99 cents when I bought them.
Okay, that's good to hear. I guess while I do a price drop, from the looks of things, what should I improve on (other than high scores and stuff; limited to the GS program) to make the game more appealing?

12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Okay, that's good to hear. I guess while I do a price drop, from the looks of things, what should I improve on (other than high scores and stuff; limited to the GS program) to make the game more appealing?
Well first of all, you don't have a free/lite version. If you think that a free/lite version will cost you sales, then you need to really rethink your overall strategy- are you trying to sucker people into buying your app? That isn't a good business model.

Try doing something with your icon. I think the image of Dan falling is much better visually and probably the most intriguing part of the game.

Adjust your palette. The sketchy grey is great, but the other colors don't work so well, even in an MS Paint ironic funny way. Choose a more subtle pallette and stick to it.

Keep Dan and the background objects grey and make sure all other object contain at least some color (even the airplane, unless that is a background object).

The screenshots really need to be punched up as much as possible.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

Last edited by Flickitty; 12-09-2009 at 05:31 PM.