★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: "Risk" game strategies

01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
"Risk" game strategies

I'm new to the whole Risk style games and I have no real strategy yet. I know a lot of people here are more experienced in these games and I was wondering what strategies and techniques you guys you use.

BTW, I bought Lux Dlx and I'm loving it so far.
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
I'm new to the whole Risk style games and I have no real strategy yet. I know a lot of people here are more experienced in these games and I was wondering what strategies and techniques you guys you use.

BTW, I bought Lux Dlx and I'm loving it so far.
I;m going to bump this thread up since A) im interested B) rknesh has started some heated discussions around here and this thread isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I play Galcon, and it's like Risk, but in space I guess.

What you do is basically get all the small number planets first, and then wait and see who starts fighting and you have to jump in at the right time. You can't get in too late or your opponent will have to many planets and will multiply to fast. But, you can't jump in too early or you'll get stuck in a 3 was crossfire.

Or, you could wait for the person closest to you to take out a big planet and take them down when you know you have bigger forces than them (This works very well at the beginning)

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I love Risk and use pretty much the same strategy each time I play - On LUX DLX if I'm playing the standard world map, I always start out by trying to take over North America (I always choose this continent because it is worth more points than South America, but it is still somewhat secluded from the rest of the world. This gives you a chance to build up your armies without worrying about being attacked. Just make sure that you place a lot of troops in the areas that border your enemies) - Once I have a fair amount of troops built up, I slowly strart taking over other areas, usually starting by taking over South America, building up my troops there and then moving into Africa.

Just go slow and try to gain control of a continent early in the game in order or rack up more troops. I never attack a neighboring country unless I have at least twice as many troops and always pay attention to how many enemy troops will be surrounding you if you do take over an enemy country. Never leave a border open with no troops.

Hope that helps and doesnt sound too confusing
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
So far, I've found that surrounding enemies works. I'll concentrate on one area until it's captured, then I'll move a strong army out of there into the next. I try to surround enemy territory because it makes it harder for them to defend themselves. Then I try to stick as close to the border of the map as I can and work my way it. I keep a strong defense on the edges so the enemies can't get in and just sort of snake my way through.

It's worked so far. I'm sure I'll need to improve it when I bump up the AI.