★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Forgotten Memories - A psychological survival horror

01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Joined: May 2011
Location: paris (yeah, the one in france)
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoforever View Post
That could go on forever in a loop!
Speaking of time and releases, now that our framework is completed (or almost completed ) we will introduce at least 1 game yearly. The biggest development time spend was for our gameplay framework (F.O.G) and lot of researches/development into graphics techniques too. But they will be the foundations of our future games and hopefully we should release with that solid based all kind of horror games more often (instead of a 3 years time frame base).
Cheers,
Can I ask how you guys are funded?
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoforever View Post
That could go on forever in a loop!
Speaking of time and releases, now that our framework is completed (or almost completed ) we will introduce at least 1 game yearly. The biggest development time spend was for our gameplay framework (F.O.G) and lot of researches/development into graphics techniques too. But they will be the foundations of our future games and hopefully we should release with that solid based all kind of horror games more often (instead of a 3 years time frame base).
Cheers,
I think EA should recruit you for another Dead Space game. I'm not kidding the controls are already there, PERFECT controls for a touchscreen, and with your heavily modified Unity engine and FOG it would be unbelievable.

Especially since the game is mostly just rendering hallways and minimal enemies onscreen at a time, it would be very, very close if not on par with the console version graphically. Take the audio and a lot of the console assets/animations and there's a bunch of the work already done.

Last edited by JBRUU; 01-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.

01-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Still amazed that you got this to run on A4 devices that well, seriously that's a big accomplishment IMO. Look at the Walking Dead - it's mostly realtime rendered cinematics and it runs at about 20FPS with constant crashes on A4.
The way we do lighting in our game it's totally different of traditional ways.
I'll write a postmortem about our techniques once FM is published.
We already got approached by several AAA studios asking to license our rendering system.
The issue we are trying to resolve now (well, optimize could be a better word) is memory for 256MB devices. Our scenes have enormous amounts of data. We've been a bit lazy on that side, like adding gigantic textures to small objects and then tweaking texture scales multiplier globally, which is pretty bad way, so basically what we are doing now is inspecting every single object in the game and tweaking his texture resolution/compression in a case by case scenario. I can't even write a tool to automate that, as the artist must see by his own eyes how the object looks. But yeah it takes lot of time. Just think about it, every scene have about 60-100 objects in overall (some of them have even 200-300 instances or more), multiply that by the amount of scenes in the game which is about 100. Pretty much.
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
I think EA should recruit you for another Dead Space game. I'm not kidding the controls are already there, PERFECT controls for a touchscreen, and with your heavily modified Unity engine and FOG it would be unbelievable.

Especially since the game is mostly just rendering hallways and minimal enemies onscreen at a time, it would be very, very close if not on par with the console version graphically. Take the audio and a lot of the console assets/animations and there's a bunch of the work already done.
We actually can render a pretty huge amount of stuff on the screen, due to the fact that we do everything in one single pass we can double or even triple (depending on the scene) the amount of objects on screen. What we've shown till now is nothing to what you are about to see in our comming videos.
Our overall outdoor scenes are fully loaded with complex trees and grass of all kind (and animated)!
I would like to extend any existing console franchise on iOS. Resident Evil, Dead Space, Silent Hill, whatever, I'm a hardcore survival horror fan. That's also one of our plans once FM is over, approach the big guys and make some sort of deals with their existing license and make out something with our framework.
I'll be glad to transform Resident Evil/Silent Hill into a bloody gruesome fest survival horror again with an old school emphasis.

Last edited by tatoforever; 01-17-2013 at 01:55 PM.
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Tato can you remember 7days salvation fron old symbian device?it was i good game

Game center ID: ip4weather
Upcoming horror games: The Apeiron Project Forgotten Memories In Fear I Trust Nowhere
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoforever View Post
In two years, I'll let him get FM free if he buys FM2.
Are you actually planning on making sequels? It would be great if you are!!!
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ip4weather View Post
Tato can you remember 7days salvation fron old symbian device?it was i good game
Pretty nice little survival horror yeah.
My fav are the ugliest ones (which by their time was pretty advanced in tech).
01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsIpad View Post
Are you actually planning on making sequels? It would be great if you are!!!
We want to establish a survival horror franchise. It doesn't mean it have to be a direct sequel of FM1 (i can't comment on that now). All i can say is that our F.O.G framework is there to produce upcoming survival horror titles quicker.
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,696
Well, more power to you. I love survival horror, just there isn't barely any on iOS!

Been meaning to ask this for a while: are there physics are enemies? I mean, ragdolls for when they die, maybe a few dynamic objects in levels that can get knocked around, etc. Adds a lot to immersion IMO if everything doesn't have a scripted animation

Edit: oh, and I'm pretty excited that now mobile devices have some serious power, did you hear that the iPad 4 can now do more GFLOPS than the Xbox 360?

Obnoxious self promotion: My little site
Show me some love, eh? You might even find it a bit interesting
Hey, why not? Ask me your worst: http://ask.fm/JBRUU
01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
I'd say you should go with a 4.99-6.99 price point to make it successful.