★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Why not Metal Gear Ac!d ??

01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Why not Metal Gear Ac!d ??

Does anybody have any theories how this amazing idea for an iPhone game got completely overlooked for tap shoot simple garbage that they seem to be planning?

I just can't imagine the itouch meetin and no one brought up how good a turn based card game would work on the device and how they already made two so it would not be asuch work???? It blows my mind.

Btw. Sorry. Just reread an article on metal gear solid touch and ranting.

Just upgraded to the 3GS from the original. Super excited to play some of the more intense games.
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetaspawn View Post
Does anybody have any theories how this amazing idea for an iPhone game got completely overlooked for tap shoot simple garbage that they seem to be planning?

I just can't imagine the itouch meetin and no one brought up how good a turn based card game would work on the device and how they already made two so it would not be asuch work???? It blows my mind.

Btw. Sorry. Just reread an article on metal gear solid touch and ranting.
To be honest, i can't see why you'd want this game either! I want a proper MGS Kojima!!!!!!!

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD

01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizy View Post
To be honest, i can't see why you'd want this game either! I want a proper MGS Kojima!!!!!!!
I dunno I guess I was trying to be a little more down to earth. Maybe ac!d to properly test the waters. Not a glorified light gun game. Blah.

And ya I actually really liked mgac!d. Well at least for the couple months where I was fooled into thinking psp s were a good idea.

Just upgraded to the 3GS from the original. Super excited to play some of the more intense games.
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
It is a bit dissapointing, i was rather suprised about the info from the MGS Touch. Why you ask? Simply because N-Gage 2.0 version which was released some weeks ago got some real nice MGS style gameplay and nice graphics, same goes for Resident Evil: Degeneration on that platform.

This both titles could be made on iPhone/iPod Touch as well with some changes, as the MGS Mobile episode on N-Series phones got some camera features, where you are able to take a picture of a surface and your suit changes the pattern to that surface in-game.
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
What really annoys me is that I think they could've done a proper MGS game, and a great 1 at that! So here's my quick and simple ideas for how it should have been!

I would have liked the game in full 3D, with camera behind and above Snake (maybe more top down than previous games and more zoomed out). Graphics could easy match or better PS1. As for the levels and size thereof, just allow saves at any point, so it doesn't matter if you play 10 mins or an hour.

Controls: Tilt forward/back/left/right to move Snake. This worked pretty well in de blob, just include a calibration setting. Downward swipe or down and hold for few secs to crouch or lay down. Upward swipe to stand again. To draw Snake's gun and fire, i envisage using both the left and right sides of the screen. Press and hold the left side and Snake stops, draws his gun. Adjust your aim by tilting left/right. Fire by tapping right side. Reload by tapping an icon? Maybe when you take out the gun, the camera moves in above Snake's shoulder to help targeting opponents?

When you approach a wall an icon appears, tap to enter wall mode. Tilt left/right to move along the wall. Note you can still use crouch gesture here. When you reach the end of wall, hold left side to pop out and aim gun, right side to fire. Other gestures could be used for grenades ('U' shape?), empty mags (inverted 'U'?), double tapping screen to knock the wall?

The game would need a decent auto-aim system, like in MGS1 on PS1 and would need some decent tutorials but they could just include some VR missions. Hell, i'd even accept small episodic games in several parts like 1112, if they made it like this!

Come on Konami, it took me about 30 minutes to figure out these controls, so fix MGS Touch and make it the game to buy an iPhone for!!!!

01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Really? I felt de Blob's control system was imprecise, and frustrating as a result. I pretty much gave up on the game when I realised that the missions were all the same, plus the annoying INKT agents that you wouldn't notice until it was too late.
01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by different View Post
Really? I felt de Blob's control system was imprecise, and frustrating as a result. I pretty much gave up on the game when I realised that the missions were all the same, plus the annoying INKT agents that you wouldn't notice until it was too late.
Having played the wii game too, i'd say its just as accurate as using an analogue stick - they ain't god damn perfect! I agree the INKT agents can come out of nowhere and level design is a bit bland (both more so in iphone version) but I like the movement controls. Plus that was a launch game, surely with more time Konami could make something better?

01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetaspawn View Post
Oh dear lord no!!! I would rather play the basic shooter they've come up with
than a card based game. Metal Gear should NEVER have been a card game to begin with, hence the fact that the Ac!d titles are usually ommitted from Metal Gear conversations.
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Just as a small example, the N-Gage 2.0 version of MGS Mobile, which was released some weeks ago, hoped for a version like this for iPhone/iPod Touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyCTSCtqTyA
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auhron View Post
Just as a small example, the N-Gage 2.0 version of MGS Mobile, which was released some weeks ago, hoped for a version like this for iPhone/iPod Touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyCTSCtqTyA
I saw that vid, thats what i based my control ideas on...