★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Death and Despair: First iPhone developer to sleep under bridge!

12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Death and Despair: First iPhone developer to sleep under bridge!

Hi there,

thats me, that developer. It's sad but true. So far my game sold like crap.
Actually, there is some crap in the store that sells even better than my game, but it has some boobs on the icon (Maybe that would be an idea? Or maybe i should call it "Sexy Phone Defender"?).

Could you tell me what is wrong with my game? Is it the ugly icon? The childish game graphics? Useless screenshots? The stupid descrition that tries to sound like beeing from a big company?

The game is: Defend your Phone.

I appreciate any critics. Please, right in the face.

Thank you!

Last edited by obiwahn; 12-11-2009 at 01:50 PM.
12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Send a message via AIM to Outkast1
"Help us obiwahn"... sorry couldn't resist

I haven't heard of your game before but I just went to have a look. I think the name is fine, the icon is fine, and the graphics are fine. The problem is I can't tell what kind of game it is, or what the gameplay is like from the screens.. I'm usually kind of lazy and don't always read the app descriptions, and if I can't tell what kind of game it is by the pictures, I usually keep on moving. You can kind of tell what's going on but it's really, really tough to understand from pics and description- whether or not the game is even fun.

It looks original, it looks cool, but it's hard to tell what you're supposed to do and whether it's fun. That's my take at least.

12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Yep, its hard to tell what kind of game to expect. Maybe consider doing a lite version.

Challenge me on Gamecenter: tblrsa
App-Echo - Your place for German iOS App and Game Reviews
Follow us on Twitter!
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the critics!

The game is based in the Defend your Castle genre (e.g. StickWars). So you simply try to push the enemies off the screen.

What about reordered Screenshots like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	11898

Name:	Screenshot 3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	11899

Name:	Screenshot 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	11900

Is that more understandeable?

Yes, I made some games: www.herpgames.com
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I think having the above sequence looks a bit more logical, but when you get to the last screen it still doesn't clearly convey the gameplay. To me it looked like maybe a TBS game. To sum up my own experience/problem with it: the screens/description to not clearly & quickly convey the genre or gameplay mechanics, which makes it basically an unknown. I don't have enough information to understand if this game would be enjoyable to me, so I'm probably not going to risk the purchase. I don't know if the game lends itself to having screen shots that could more accurately convey the mechanics... so maybe editing the description a bit so people know what they're looking at/getting into would help.
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
you could also try to give out promo codes, so bloggers write about the game.

Challenge me on Gamecenter: tblrsa
App-Echo - Your place for German iOS App and Game Reviews
Follow us on Twitter!
12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah the screenshots are the biggest problem. Also you need to advertise. I havent heard of your game before now.
If you're sleeping under bridges, I think it's time to get a job eh? I'm sure companies are hiring programmers. Or maybe join forces with another company?
12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Posting a game video would resolve the gameplay question. More screenshots of the actual gameplay would be benefitial.
12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Posting a game video would resolve the gameplay question. More screenshots of the actual gameplay would be benefitial.
That's true and it would benefit those of us who frequent TA or other forums. For average-Joe appstore consumers however, I doubt they'd ever see it. That's why I suggested if screen shots that demonstrate gameplay better are not really available within this type of game, the dev may be better served by editing the description. But, I think ideally he should do both and also perhaps conduct a few contests or promotions, use twitter or facebook or something to spread word of mouth.
12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Some screenies and a vid would fix your problem.