★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Goorusoft
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 15.1 MB
  • Version: 1.41
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: *** Our new game MetalWars3 is now available! ***

The best machine action game : MetalWars

*TOP 100(GAMES) - Japan

Metal Wars is Full 3D Shooting Game that attacks and destroys enemies while upgrading to various parts of bots and using variety of weapons.
Not only can you destroy enemies on your own but can also be played alongside other players
You can create your own machine by assembling parts and weapons that you earn from each stage.

Playing this game is simple.
Control using the two joy pads. Left pad is for moving and the right pad is for aiming and shooting.
Touch the right pad lightly to move the players view and if you hold down the touch, the weapon will be fire.
You can choose different weapons according to different situations.
There are 3 commands on the left-hand side of the screen you can use towards your fellow players
As you clear each stage, more powerful weapons and new parts will be given to the player.
You can clear difficult stages easily playing alongside with your fellow players.

Features:
-Retina display support
-New Full 3D Graphic
-Introduced Physics Engine
-Various Particle Effects
-Variety types of AI types
-Transformation of weapons and parts
-Over 12 different weapons
-Over 20 different parts

---------------------------------------------
More games from Goorusoft

-BoxMan Rising
-WarShip
-MetalWars2:Revolution
---------------------------------------------

Features:
3D

particle effect

3D

12-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Ooooh.

At that price and with those screenshots, all it will take is a half-decent gameplay video and I'm sold!

Edit: Ok, they did Warship, one of my favourite apps, and certainly one of the most unappreciated apps in these parts.

That's a sale!

Last edited by Ventura; 12-12-2009 at 02:31 AM.

12-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Ok, I've given this one a good go, and I'm on the fence about it.

The idea is much the same as in their earlier game Warship, in that you fight in stages to earn money and unlock equipment. Only, this time it's all about mech combat.

It's a dual-stick shooter, in that you use the left stick to move, and the right to aim/fire. Each mech can support up to two installed weapons, but you only ever fire one at a time, and in combat there's a button to click between the two. Once one has been fully exhausted, it becomes unusable for a few seconds, and you have to wait until it recycles. Partially used weapons do not regenerate though, so you're better off using one until it exhausts and then switching to the other. If you don't do it that way, you will frequently experience the issue where, for at least a couple of seconds, you won't be able to fire either of your weapons.

Each stage typically pits you against a couple of other mechs, usually sporting better gear than you. Beat a stage for the first time, and something usually unlocks. After each stage, you're awarded a grade, and earn money and all that.

I spent quite a bit of my time getting my arse kicked in later stages because of the difficulty involved with the aiming. The computer-controlled mechs you will go up against will lead you extremely well; it would be impossible for a human player to aim that well with any weapon, especially something like the cannon. While it's something that got easier over time (admittedly), I found myself sticking with the default machine gun, which is the weapon the game starts you with.

I promptly upgraded the mech I was controlling into the second type that became available (the mk-2 variant of what you start with) but not only did it seem to look the same as the first, it didn't really seem to be able to take any more damage either.

The menus will frustrate at first, until you get the hang of them. You start the game with a mech of your own and a wingman already. Don't bother building up a third mech, as even though the game's quite happy to let you build/buy as many as you like, it will only let you take one wingman into combat. I learnt that one the hard way. Mech parts can only be sold after they've been upgraded; you can delete a mech, but you don't get any money back for doing that.

Unfortunately, the game has no options atall. None. You "click to play", select a save game (it will store three for you), and away you go. No multiplayer, nothing like that. The idea is that you continually repeat the stages that you can do, eventually saving up enough money to be able to buy upgrades to get past the tougher stages. That bit sounds a bit boring, but their older game Warship was a lot like that too.

I'm going to play a bit more, as I suspect there'll be quite a lot of goodies to unlock down the track, but as with their earlier game Warship, the v1.0 feels a bit like a rough draft. It's a bit buggy, crashed straight to the home screen at least twice, and it doesn't run all that well. Credit where it's due though, this developer supported Warship really well, so here's hoping they do the same with this one.

Oh yeah, it's only $0.99 too, which (and let's be honest) makes these things all the more tempting.
12-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Gameplay video

Youtube link | Pop Up

12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
This one looks pretty good actually.

Game Center ID: Vragal
Twitter
12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Must admit I wish it ran as well on my device as it does in that video
12-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Dual-Stick? I want it.

Game Center: B34$T
Proud beta-tester for a bunch of cool games.
Dual-stick shooter fan
12-12-2009, 11:41 PM
This game is great, I've been playing it on and off today.

Pretty much what Ventura said, and yeah it did crash twice for me as well.
The combat is pretty fun and exciting, but it does get frustrating when you're outnumbered, and I wish you could take more than one wingman with you.
Co-op/Multiplayer would be sick on this.

Graphics are alright, aiming is indeed a big tough at first, but you get the hang of it. The "shotgun" doesn't seem to have a range (it says it does but it shoots as far as the long range gun), not that it'd do much damage at long range (as the pellets split up).

You can paint your mech in three different colours as well, breaking the standard gray mold that they all start with. Plenty of weapons and armours, to my knowledge only three environements, but at least 18 different levels against different mechs.

It's pretty replayable due to the weapons and different ways to tackle each situation and battle.

Oh yeah, squashing infantry (or blowing them up) would make this (at least for me) a more enjoyable experience. But that's just me.

I recommend this any lover of dual stick shooters, it's got just enough depth to make it interesting yet quick to pick up and play.
12-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
Mech parts can only be sold after they've been upgraded; you can delete a mech, but you don't get any money back for doing that.
This is actually wrong on my part.

If you make a third mech, and then delete it, the parts remain in your inventory, where they can be sold at your leisure.

I've taken to enjoying this a lot more, now that I've been able to clear a couple more stages. Aiming has gotten considerably easier, despite my experiencing a fair amount of lag on my first gen device.

Good app, and a nice price
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I picked this one up because the screenshots of this game looked like a portable version of Chromehounds (Xbox360), and it is to a point. Ventura pretty much sums up the game, and like him, it took me a couple of honest goes at the game to really get a good feel for the combat. I never really felt cheated when I lost, just under-powered.

Anyhow, I think this is a great game with a ton of potential. I'm not super far in the game, but can I throw out a couple of ideas for a future update? (some of these may be in the game and I just haven't unlocked them yet.)

Multiplayer would kick major butt in this game. Not just a deathmatch mode, but control point type game would take this to another level.

More weapons. (Long range heavy, sniper, multi-rocket, etc.)
More lower parts (quad, track, bi-pedal)
Defensive/Offensive parts (sheilds, EMP, mines)
Ability to lock weapons on the same slot to shoot more than one at a time.

Anyhow, great game and well worth the price.

Last edited by xPEACEMAKERx; 12-15-2009 at 02:09 PM.