★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: UP There UPdate

01-12-2009, 10:31 PM
UP There UPdate

Just downloaded the new update from the developers of Up There.
It comes with "stability fixes" and a practice mode which is significantly easier than arcade mode. (I got up to the stars on the first try)
Personally, i don't like the practice mode. I think it detracts from the happiness you get when you get up to the higher levels in the regular mode, but thats just me.
What do u guys think?
01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Practice mode is TOO easy.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Thats exactly what i think. I believe it takes away from the enjoyment of actually making it to those harder levels. Its almost as if practice mode is just so you can see what they all look like without actually having to try to get there.
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Ya it's easy but it gets harder and harder as you go. I also made it to the stars first try. I'm glad they added practice mode. Now when others try it for the first time they won't get frustrated. Also good for the nephew and neices.

I've been away for awhile, but I'm back.
01-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Well, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

We agree and stand by the difficulty of the arcade mode. We think it's the perfect level of challenge.

But the largest complaint we've gotten was from frustrated users, who just give up because it's too hard for them. It was a tough choice, but we wanted to add a way that everyone could play, not just those of us with decent co-ordination. To be fair, if you can't get past the attic, if you never can last more than 2 minutes, it's not that fun of a game.

There's no turning back now, we can't get rid of practice mode. I do hope that the practice mode doesn't dilute the experience for too many people. We weren't crazy about adding it, but for every 1 e-mail we got praising up there, we got three more telling us it was just too hard for them. Practice mode does have a much reduced score, and doesn't let you submit... and we just felt like we had to include those customers that weren't happy with the current product.

After all, if your not listening to your customers, your not making them happy, and then why are you making games?

www.VeiledGames.com
Outnumbered out NOW!
Follow us on Twitter @VeiledGames
01-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I actually really like the update. It allowed my younger sister to actually reach the trees and clouds, which made her really happy!
01-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
It chould use some achievements system instead of just the high score. A height indicator that show how high have the balloon reached would be great. BTW will the background image change like Scoops when we reach a greater height?

Just one minute after viewing the video take my mind back to purchase it. I thought the balloon shouldn't be able to 'touch' those obstacles?

Updates from Casual Gamer

Plus+ ID: dsync89 (active in all We Rule, We Farm and We City)
OpenFeint ID: dsync89

Last edited by D.Sync; 01-12-2009 at 11:48 PM.
01-13-2009, 12:51 AM
To the devs, I certainly didn't mean for it to sound as if I don't enjoy up there, it is still the game I actually play most because of it's style and simplicity. I just thought that perhaps it took the feeling of accomplishment away; but after reading some comments about how now younger players can enjoy this title too, I see your position. Overall it was for the best. Still a great quality game, and still 5/5 in my book.
01-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Practice Mode is not mandatory to play. If you think it's too easy, stay away!

PS. Will you guys be changing the High Scores list? Multiple scores from the same users are still showing up. Just wondering if you will change it to one top score per single user.