★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dusktreaders Update-anyone try?

01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Dusktreaders Update-anyone try?

I know it didn't recieve the best reviews, anyone try the new version?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300544944&mt=8

Last edited by NotYou; 01-13-2009 at 12:35 AM.
01-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStaR View Post
I know it didn't recieve the best reviews, anyone try the new version?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300544944&mt=8
Man, it appears from their appstore page they put a massive ammount of work/content into the 1.1 update if I were near wifi I'd d/l!

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
yeah thats why I can't dwnld...no signal
but I saw that it was a heftry update but not to many people liked this game.
it needed work though.
01-13-2009, 12:47 AM
I heard it was pretty horrendous before. It seems it'd be worth downloading for $1 if someone says it's doable now. Hopefully they'll keep the lowered price a bit longer.

Anyone?
01-13-2009, 04:00 AM
I'll say what I said in the main Dusktreaders thread (or at the very least, the other Dusktreaders thread): These developers might be too ambitious for their own good. Having briefly looked up the so-called MMO they are developing, it seems to support this thought.

That said, I think I"ll take the plunge for $1. It's only a dollar, and if they truly did fix the problems, it might be worth to play.
01-13-2009, 07:59 AM
I thought I'd give it a go for 59p. There's the beginning of a decent game here. Whilst the first level doesn't look great, the second level in the graveyard is quite nice, featuring hilly terrain (a rare thing in many FPSs) and decent enough textures and framerate. The models for the enemies and your weapons are quite nice, though your weapon isn't solid meaning that it clips through walls, and enemies do need a bit/lot more animation. I'd advise leaving sound switched off.

Sadly, the controls leave something to be desired, relying on tilt to move around which is great for turning and going forward but horrible if you want to retreat. As far as I can find there's no strafing or control over your targeting - it seems to feature fairly strong auto-aim. It would be nice to see dual virtual sticks and calibration in a future version.

Still, for the money it's a reasonable demo of where their tech may be heading and there's some fun to be had. I hope the developers continue to update it - as it is, I'm happy that the tiny amount of money I gave may contribute to something bigger and better.

Last edited by idespair; 01-13-2009 at 01:29 PM.
01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
^Exactly, word for word what I was planning on saying.

It is playable, and for $.99, it isn't bad. Well, there are worse games in the app store at least.

The foundation is there for a really fun, interesting game, there truly is. But the execution is still flawed, it's still very much beta.

I agree with the controls, retreating is hell, but I'll add this: I like the set up. Instead of aiming via the accelerometer and moving around by some on screen button, you just move forward, backwards, and turn; like old style FPS like Doom. I actually think this might be ideal for the iPhone as it frees up your fingers for other things instead of having to keep them plastered on the screen if you want to move. But definitely there needs to be work done, they need to be more responsive, especially when moving back.

The enemies animations, well I heard they were worse before the update! I can't comment on that, they'd look good if they moved more. As it stands now it's almost like walking through a haunted house, they just randomly pop up out of nowhere with a hilariously awful scream/laugh which gets annoying after the first 2 or 3.

But the worse thing though, is the missions themselves. I don't know what the dev is thinking with this, why would anyone want to play timed based missions? Ditch it, I'd say. It stops being about the enviroment and enemies and more about getting through from point A to B as fast as you can. Not too great an idea, I think, when they could do much much better.

I'd say what this really needs is a dropping of the time based missions and an adaption of a story of some sort. This could be a really fun game, I think it would be a great first person RPG, but the devs need to add more stuff to flesh out the town and story.

I am seriously thinking of sending them an email detailing what I think about it. As I've said, their idea might be too big for their britches, so to speak, but it could work....

But for $.99..............I think it would be alright to spend. Like I said, there are worse games. But don't expect a first person shooter, and don't expect an RPG. Expect a time based mission foot racing game with enemies game of sorts. You can take on the enemies if you want, but you waste time towards your goal. Which is ultimately the point, unfortunately.

Also, there needs to be an options menu. If there is one, I haven't found it. Like I said, beta game right now. If you want to test it out for $.99, go ahead, it's playable.
01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
You should send them an email. If you don't then they might never know of these things you point out.

It's funny: to gamers things like this seem easy to grasp, but we're looking at it after the fact with different sets of eyes. Most people who are in creative endeavors...sometimes they let the idea that they've got in their head cloud their view of what they actually made. It's kinda like a parent with a bad child who just doesn't see that their kid is bad, y'know.
I've sent them a few emails in the past. They are quick to respond and are very helpful. Maybe point them toward these forums so they can join the discussion?
01-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Another update popped out for this yesterday or Friday. They've removed the timer, so you're free to explore, and more importantly they've added a virtual d-pad which works really well. Apart from the odd pause it now controls smoothly when turning or moving forwards/backwards - it's actually quite playable.

The levels still feel a touch empty and particularly due to the size of a couple of them could do with a bit more scenery. I can see that they;ve gone for quite an open feel, and yet I think that it might benefit from more tightly focused level design. I've only played through on easy, so I'm not sure if higher difficulties spawn more enemies or just do more damage - I'd hope for the former.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying out now - there's finally a game here that you can enjoy playing, and with a few more updates it could be something fairly special.
01-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idespair View Post
Another update popped out for this yesterday or Friday. They've removed the timer, so you're free to explore, and more importantly they've added a virtual d-pad which works really well. Apart from the odd pause it now controls smoothly when turning or moving forwards/backwards - it's actually quite playable.

The levels still feel a touch empty and particularly due to the size of a couple of them could do with a bit more scenery. I can see that they;ve gone for quite an open feel, and yet I think that it might benefit from more tightly focused level design. I've only played through on easy, so I'm not sure if higher difficulties spawn more enemies or just do more damage - I'd hope for the former.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying out now - there's finally a game here that you can enjoy playing, and with a few more updates it could be something fairly special.
Hey thanks for keeping us up with some thoughts about this game. I didn't know anyone had a thread on this. I almost d/l this last night. Bought Rolando instead though. This may as you as get better.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon