★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What's the best solitaire for iphone/itouch?

07-14-2008, 10:23 AM
What's the best solitaire for iphone/itouch?

Just curious on your thoughts about which is the one to go for. If the $9.99 versions are good enough, then I'll throw down the cash for one of them.

~Mullet
07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Check out AcidSolitaire (solitaire, freecell and spider)

I have to recommend AcidSolitaire Collection. This is not just a shameless plug - I honestly think this is the best solitaire game out there for the iPhone.

A couple reasons I like AcidSolitaire:
- touch play is quick, responsive and forgiving. Cards move when you want, where you want. It is easy to sit and play a mindless game while just listening to my music.
- like all solitaire games, it is fun to check your stats but AcidSolitaire takes it a step further. In addition to all the usual stats, all your "Unfinished Games" (in progress or lost) are listed so you can go back and try to win them. When I am on a win streak, I like to go back and try to clear out some games I haven't finished to improve my win %.
- and I hate to say it, I use the hints all the time. The sparkle hints are really helpful.

Includes Solitaire, Freecell and Spider. Here are two video demos to check out:
http://www.red-mercury.com/product_ASC_iPhone.html

More information is available here:
http://www.red-mercury.com/products_faq_ASC_iPhone.html

Screenshots:

Regards,

Melissa
Red Mercury
http://www.red-mercury.com

07-15-2008, 08:00 AM
How about some opinions that are not biased.. No offence but acid solitare just looks ugly.. and its 6, which is simply too much.
07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
I really like Solitaire Forever. It has 150 solitaire games and easy on the eyes. Or at least I think it is.

The one thing the developer needs to fix is the ability to listen to your music library while playing. I've emailed him about it and he's looking into making it happen.

App Store Linky

Last edited by chrisb3; 07-15-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added App Store link
07-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Mondo is the best! It looks nice, animates nice, and is a breeze to use.

I did have to pay for it, but it was worth every penny, as it will be the most played game on my iPhone.

Here is the iTunes link for it, I'm sure you'll agree its worth the 5.99!
07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm a big solitaire fan, so I have read a lot of reviews about all the current solitaire games. I picked "Solitaire Top 3," which was just released yesterday. It seems to have bigger cards than some of the others, and an uncluttered look to it. It has regular solitaire, freecell, and spider solitaire.

It can be played in landscape mode so that the cards are a little easier to read. Nothing flashy--just a clean interface that does what it is supposed to do. And cheaper than Acid, Mondo, and Platinum solitaires--only $3.99. I feel like I picked the best one of the games currently offered...
07-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
I'm a big solitaire fan, so I have read a lot of reviews about all the current solitaire games. I picked "Solitaire Top 3," which was just released yesterday. It seems to have bigger cards than some of the others, and an uncluttered look to it. It has regular solitaire, freecell, and spider solitaire.

It can be played in landscape mode so that the cards are a little easier to read. Nothing flashy--just a clean interface that does what it is supposed to do. And cheaper than Acid, Mondo, and Platinum solitaires--only $3.99. I feel like I picked the best one of the games currently offered...
Does Top 3 allow you to listen to your music library while playing?
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not gonna spent a ton of money buying each one and trying them out! I wish there were an option to try out a game before buying it!

I bought the motor cycle racing game, but for $10 it turns out to be a waste.

I'd love to try out the Acid Solitare games before buying - i thought the video was good, but I'd just rather have an option to try before i buy - it is a feature missing from the app store!

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place i guess - i want lots of games, but i want lots of features too - Acid only has 3 games - but has lots of seemingly nice features from the vid.

Mondo and the Solitare Top 3 seem good, but what to do?!?!

Mitch

planetMitch.com is where you can find me and all my stuff
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb3 View Post
Does Top 3 allow you to listen to your music library while playing?
Yes, it does.

I also recommend Solitaire Top 3. Just a little piece of information, it is made by the same person who made iSolitaire for jailbroken devices, so it plays basically the same, only with new features (like Freecell and Spider variations). My only complaints are the ugly icon, and playing in portrait mode is a little messed up, but I prefer landscape anyways, so that's not a huge deal, and maybe that will be fixed in an update.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, one of the reviews in the app store said it doesn't save your game when you leave the app, which made me nervous, but it actually does, at least for Klondike, haven't tried Freecell or Spider yet as I don't know how to play them

Last edited by TunesRus90; 07-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.
07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Stay away from Mondo Solitaire

My advice... Stay away from Mondo Solitaire.

Firstly, it's got a bug in Freecell (the game I choose to play 99% of the time), where you have a choice of two settings for:
- Fill blank spaces with:
- Any card, or
- Kings only
Unfortunately, even with the "any card" option selected, I STILL can only put Kings on blank spaces - and with Freecell, that makes the game utterly impossible to play from a random shuffle.
I've emailed the developer about this bug, and he reckons a fix will be coming along at some point. When that will be though, I have no clue. Not soon enough in my opinion. Did the developers not play a game of Freecell before releasing their product??

Secondly, as another reviewer on the iTunes Store has also mentioned, there's an annoying "feature" where the numbers on the cards shrink down to a barely legible size, depending on how far down the pile they are. Why the developer decided to do this, I don't know, but the growing and shrinking numbers, with all different sizes on-screen at once, are very distracting.

I bought Mondo Solitaire quite on impulse because it seemed to have a rather slick looking UI, and plenty of games to choose from, but I reckon I'm gonna cut my losses with this purchase and stump up another few quid for a better game. I'll just make sure I get some more details on the app first.