★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Anyone sick of medieval themed RPGs?

12-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Anyone sick of medieval themed RPGs?

I've gotten a bit sick of medieval themed RPGs. Not necessary medieval, but games revolving around knights, fighting demons, mages, ancient curses, etc. We need decent RPGs that strive from those themes, games like Sonny and The World Ends With You. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Zenonia now and then, but the story was immensely boring. I don't care if they are action or turn-based, does anyone know any games that aren't based on swords and wizards, something a bit exciting?
12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Wolfenstein RPG (ww 2 based)
Deathride (car based RPG)

12-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Galactic Keep: Dice Battles is coming... that will be amazing, you should check out the thread

Its more pen and paper style, but the art is still awesome
12-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProxy View Post
I've gotten a bit sick of medieval themed RPGs. Not necessary medieval, but games revolving around knights, fighting demons, mages, ancient curses, etc. We need decent RPGs that strive from those themes, games like Sonny and The World Ends With You. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Zenonia now and then, but the story was immensely boring. I don't care if they are action or turn-based, does anyone know any games that aren't based on swords and wizards, something a bit exciting?
Uh... I don't think you meant strive

Also, I wouldn't quite call any of the recent RPGs "medieval themed". They are more of a fantasy nature than realistic fighting.

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I was hoping Legion of Amon would be something like that, but no news every surfaced about that game.
12-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Never!

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
12-12-2009, 10:57 PM
IMO the games that did something other than that sort of story and actually pulled it off are Chrono Trigger, Chrono Chross, Earthbound, and Mother 3 (that I can think up off the top of my head). Most of the other RPGs I really like do follow the traditional theme, but they were so good that I didn't care.

I'd really like to see some RPGs that play like traditional RPGs, but have a futuristic or current world theme rather than knights and magic and such. For me, it's all about storytelling and good mechanics.

Too bad there are never any good action RPGs anymore... (like Secret of Mana)
12-12-2009, 11:15 PM
If the game is good, I can care less about the theme...Seriously.

Game Center: Diligence
12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaganomics View Post
never!
never!

Playin the quest, or any of the numerous, awesome expansions? Are you stuck? If you need any help, feel free to PM me or email at "my user name" @gmail.com
I'm happy to help -GLLive, Marshall_B I have starfront , add me!
12-13-2009, 12:42 AM
What is this blasphemy!?!? There can never be too many medieval themed RPGs.

Open Feint/Gamecenter: The Running Man
Plus+: TheRunningMan
Agon/Gameloft Live: The_Running_Man
Currently Enjoying: Games.