★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Price Increase Experiment $0.99 to $1.99 - Starting Soon!

12-12-2009, 09:30 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 342
Price Increase Experiment $0.99 to $1.99 - Starting Soon!

**UPDATE ON PAGE 4**


We have decided to do an experiment with indie apps and price. We currently have our app MindBlender Quiz (http://www.itunes.com/apps/mindblenderquiz). It's priced at $0.99 right now. We are raising the price to $1.99 starting January first. We hope to see an increase in profit. We predict there will obviously be a slight drop in sales, but we hope that we will still come out on top. If all fails, we will make the price $0.99 again. You can get more info about this experiment on our website (www.pixelcubestudios.com). We will post results once our experiment starts! We will also post pre-release results....

Today we announced that the price will increase on January 1, 2010. We are hoping that this *might* increase sales until then because people want to buy the app before the price goes up. Keep checking back here or follow us on twitter to get updates about this experiment (www.twitter.com/pixelcubestudio)

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs

Last edited by simplymuzik3; 02-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
12-13-2009, 01:42 AM
#2
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: UK / Toronto
Posts: 602
Be interesting to see the results from this. I've heard other developers doing similar and their sales didn't move at all, meaning their revenue pretty-much doubled.

But we'll see…

12-13-2009, 09:07 AM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,770
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
I've also done this for Cheese Collect. Sales have dropped a little but I'm earning about the same, perhaps even a little more.
12-13-2009, 10:11 AM
#4
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1233 View Post
I've also done this for Cheese Collect. Sales have dropped a little but I'm earning about the same, perhaps even a little more.
Cool, good to know What did you raise it to? $0.99 > $1.99? Around how many sales are you getting per day (if you don't mind sharing).

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs
12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
#5
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 977
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Be very careful with that. I just tried the same thing.

I raised the price of Charmed from $0.99 to $1.99 because were were ranked in the mid-to-high 30s in the Puzzle category. We were featured in Hot New Games on the iDevices. We saw sales as "high" as 200 per day.

After raising the price, sales dropped from 130 to 88 the next day, and then to 56 the day after (which was yesterday). Was definitely not a good move in this case.
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: the 56th realm of existence
Posts: 5,948
really?
aww man!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
12-13-2009, 03:27 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
Be very careful with that. I just tried the same thing.

I raised the price of Charmed from $0.99 to $1.99 because were were ranked in the mid-to-high 30s in the Puzzle category. We were featured in Hot New Games on the iDevices. We saw sales as "high" as 200 per day.

After raising the price, sales dropped from 130 to 88 the next day, and then to 56 the day after (which was yesterday). Was definitely not a good move in this case.
maybe the xmas shopping craze is over.. if you read the article above; if you are in the top list; you don't do this. i've mentioned it in previous threads that if you are not in the top lists; people tend to look for your apps specifically and will pay for your app regardless if it is 0.99 or 1.99.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
Yeah I think the flaw with MinJuice's experiment was doing it while he was already riding the wave of the feature. When something is featured I'm willing to bet a lot of purchases are impulse buys, not many people are going to bother doing any research about the game. Raising prices when you're not being featured probably results in what mobile1up suggested... the majority of people who find your app, are the ones who were interested anyway and actually searched for it, so a $1 increase shouldn't be too off-putting.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
maybe the xmas shopping craze is over.. if you read the article above; if you are in the top list; you don't do this. i've mentioned it in previous threads that if you are not in the top lists; people tend to look for your apps specifically and will pay for your app regardless if it is 0.99 or 1.99.
That might be true, and it makes sense.

The unfortunate thing is that MindJuice actually reduced the price to $0.99 while it was featured in order to get as high in the ranks as possible. So $1.99 is the original price point and it is one of the few puzzle games that I can say is worth it.

Unfortunately, we don't have the knowledge of whether or not the Charmed price reduction was worth it in terms of sales. Certainly it helped in the rankings- unless higher priced apps have a modifier that push them higher in the ranks. Anyobody have info on that?

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 977
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
That might be true, and it makes sense.

The unfortunate thing is that MindJuice actually reduced the price to $0.99 while it was featured in order to get as high in the ranks as possible. So $1.99 is the original price point and it is one of the few puzzle games that I can say is worth it.

Unfortunately, we don't have the knowledge of whether or not the Charmed price reduction was worth it in terms of sales. Certainly it helped in the rankings- unless higher priced apps have a modifier that push them higher in the ranks. Anyobody have info on that?
I think I blew it by reducing the price too soon. I should have waited until it peaked from being featured and THEN reduced the price (or even just left it the same).

Sigh! The App Store is a harsh mistress!