★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anyone else having problems with Chess w/ Friends?

01-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Anyone else having problems with Chess w/ Friends?

Subject
01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post
Subject
Well, the problem I have with it is that I suck at Chess, so I usually lose. Or did you mean you are having some kind of technical problem with the game? I'm sorry, your subject just isn't very descriptive.

01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
It either won't load my games (just says updating), says "Oops, something's broken blah blah blah", or boots me off even when it does work. I would normally delete it and reload it but I'm afraid I'll lose all my games.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues with it.
01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
It's worked for me fine 99.99% of the time.

I did have one bizarre incident once though...
Both my pawn and the other player's pawn were side-by-side.
I had just moved my pawn next to his.
Then I closed the app, and came back later to check to see if it was my turn again.
Weirdly, I watched as the "play-last-move" action showed the other guy's pawn taking my pawn at a diagonal angle!!! Even though my pawn was blatantly sitting right alongside his, in the same row...!!!
His pawn moved into a blank empty square BEHIND my pawn, and yet my pawn still disappeared off the board!!!
I pressed the "previous-step" arrow to rewind the move and then the "next-step" arrow to watch again, to make sure I had moved my pawn forward two steps (to position it alongside his pawn), instead of just one step, and sure enough, the repeated move showed me moving alongside him, in the same row, but then the step after that showed his pawn taking mine at a diagonal - even though my piece wasn't actually sitting in the square where he moved to.

Bizarre...

I must've checked it 100 times, and I knew even before that that I wouldn't have made such a dumb move. If I had made the move by accident, then I'd expect the replay action to show me making a dumb move, thereby deserving to have my piece taken, but no, it was a definite glitch.

But seeing as though the other player did take my pawn, I am guessing the glitch was just showing up on my side, and not his. So when he saw me move into such a dumb position, he must've though he was playing a real idiot...

I was pretty peeved at the time...

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Everything's perfect here. The servers have been really quick as of late!!
01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
resintalling it did the trick, plus i didn't lose my progress.
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
En Passant

BrettArchibald,

What you're describing sounds like En Passant. The rules describing this move are here. Please do send us an e-mail if what you saw doesn't fit within the rules of Chess.

Regards,
David Bettner
Newtoy Inc
01-13-2009, 05:01 PM
there's 1 problem I have. No draw offer function?

besides that, as I have told in emails, love the game, only wish the opponents would be a bit tougher..
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoy View Post
BrettArchibald,

What you're describing sounds like En Passant. The rules describing this move are here. Please do send us an e-mail if what you saw doesn't fit within the rules of Chess.

Regards,
David Bettner
Newtoy Inc
Hi David,

Thanks for the answer. Well I guess I can say I've learned something new today... I had absolutely never heard of that move before.
Glad to hear it's not a glitch at least, and I'll be looking out for that in future.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
01-13-2009, 10:35 PM
LOL. That description of your en passant move was funny. Good times. And I'm sure a draw option will be included in v1.1 (along w/ chat, ratings, win/loss record, etc)

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->

Last edited by Noah; 01-13-2009 at 10:40 PM.