★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill

View Poll Results: Resident Evil or Silent Hill?
Resident Evil 24 66.67%
Silent Hill 3 8.33%
I really don't care 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM
#1
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill

Well, it's always been these two as the primary source of quality horror gaming. I was looking around to play an old game I had when I pulled out Resident Evil 2 today, then I started looking at that and then some Silent Hill stuff. Well, to make a long story short, I wondered what more people prefer, Resident Evil or Silent Hill. I'm not talking about the iPhone games because if so there's just no comparison. Strictly console games.

Oh yeah, my vote goes for Resident Evil. I've always liked zombies over an assortment of other weird creatures, although I do enjoy Silent Hill quite a bit.
12-13-2009, 07:01 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
What about RE vs Silent Hill movies?

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.

12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
#3
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_k View Post
What about RE vs Silent Hill movies?
Sure, why not. I started watching Apocalypse once and it was pretty cool... although it was nothing like the games excluding the fact that it was Raccoon City and the T-Virus.
12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
I find Silent Hill scarier and generally more f***ed up.
But I prefer Resident Evil.

Hakuna Matata
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM
#5
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
I find Silent Hill scarier and generally more f***ed up.
But I prefer Resident Evil.
I'm going to have to agree with that. The overall gameplay of Resident Evil has always just appealed more to me. The only one that really compared in how scary and atmospheric it was was Code Veronica X. The prison level... just holy crap that is one of the scariest places in gaming ever. That whole game is just creepier than any other RE game, but 2 comes in pretty close. I almost fell out of my chair when the hands busted through the window... holy crap. Plus the ways they scare you are completely different. Silent Hill is more atmospheric and tension, while Resident Evil has a creepy tone to it and has zombies everywhere, but gets you more when you aren't expecting it. Again, I bring up the example of the hands busting through the window. Veronica X again was scary and the tension of the prison area had me on edge to the point where everything made me jump.
12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: USA WA
Posts: 1,282
Resident Evil 4 > All the SH games combined

Now Playing Broken Sword
12-13-2009, 07:22 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-F View Post
Silent Hill II >Resident Evil 4 > All the SH games combined
Now, that's better.

Silent Hill II is probably the closest a videogame from a major publisher has gotten to art. It's a game for grown ups in every sense of the word; by comparison, all Resident Evil games are fun carnival rides.
12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Now, that's better.

Silent Hill II is probably the closest a videogame from a major publisher has gotten to art. It's a game for grown ups in every sense of the word; by comparison, all Resident Evil games are fun carnival rides.
Lol, how'd I know you were going to say that... And actually, I can think of a game closer to art than this and it's called METAL GEAR SOLID!!!! But yeah, on topic, that game is SCARY! I've only seen gameplay and it seems like it'd be one of the creepiest games of all time. Up there with the likes of Clock Tower and Veronica X.
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 夣胧桃源
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
Well, it's always been these two as the primary source of quality horror gaming.
Where did you get that idea?
Those two are very high quality, but doesn't mean nothing else is good.
One example would be the Zero series; there are probably a lot more quality horror games.
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
Lol, how'd I know you were going to say that... And actually, I can think of a game closer to art than this and it's called METAL GEAR SOLID!!!! But yeah, on topic, that game is SCARY! I've only seen gameplay and it seems like it'd be one of the creepiest games of all time. Up there with the likes of Clock Tower and Veronica X.
We need a MGS thread.
I was trying to get my hands on a copy of MGS 3: Subsistence, but I found out that is pretty rare now and costs like £100

Hakuna Matata