★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Urgent: Would I lose my game save if I repurchase the item?

12-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Urgent: Would I lose my game save if I repurchase the item?

Will I lose all my progress if I repurchase an item (which I no longer own)?

Here's why: I had a problem when purchasing SMB2 with the credit balance. Long story short, the customer support gave me a refund and that's the problem - I didn't want refund!!

He said it's no problem since it's an app and I can always redownload it again he seems to know less than me!! If he gave me a refund, of course I no longer own the app and thus I have to repurchase it and I want to do it before the sale is over.

Thanks!

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
12-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Ok, I'm confused.

The only way you'd lose your data is if you synced your iPod while the game wasn't on your computer, deleting it from the device. If it never left your iPod, and the game is on your computer (whether it's was deleted or not), you're fine.

12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Ok, I'm confused.

The only way you'd lose your data is if you synced your iPod while the game wasn't on your computer, deleting it from the device. If it never left your iPod, and the game is on your computer (whether it's was deleted or not), you're fine.
I'm just worried that because I repurchase the app, I lose the data when I sync it as it thinks as a new app.

The situation is weird too, it says I don't own the app if I want to rate it, but when I click 'purchase' it says I already own the app and can download it again for free

12-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_k View Post
I'm just worried that because I repurchase the app, I lose the data when I sync it as it thinks as a new app.

The situation is weird too, it says I don't own the app if I want to rate it, but when I click 'purchase' it says I already own the app and can download it again for free
The save data is stored separately from the game itself, so it won't sync as a new app. I guarantee you. And you do already own the app, you just don't have it on your computer. Just redownload it. Imma go sleepy now. Exam tomorrow. Good luck. Don't worry. Just download it.
12-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_k View Post

It's a bit confusing, but it shouldn't be a problem. The only way to delete game data is to actively delete the game from your device. Replacing the file should have no effect on save data. If you want to be safe, redownload the file from your device using the device App Store (instead of downloading it to your computer and resyncing).
12-13-2009, 11:56 PM
So I assume I have the exact same problem as you (they charged 10 when it was already changed to 5) which number do I call? And what did you have to do?

Just upgraded to the 3GS from the original. Super excited to play some of the more intense games.
12-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetaspawn View Post
So I assume I have the exact same problem as you (they charged 10 when it was already changed to 5) which number do I call? And what did you have to do?
No, we have different problem. I didn't realise I only had $5.67 (australian dollar) left on my credit when I bought SMB2 ($5.99), so they charged my credit card $0.32.

Realising that, I quickly topped up my iTunes credit and asked them if it's possible to take the $0.32 from my iTunes balance instead of the credit card. They said they can't do it as it's already been processed, but they understand my difficulty and decided to give me refund <- that was the problem! I didn't even ask for a refund!!

I'm not sure if you can get a refund for missing a sale.

12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I didn't miss it. If anything I was "too early" because it just had registered through all of iTunes system yet but the "button" with the price on it had just barely turned to the sale price.

Just upgraded to the 3GS from the original. Super excited to play some of the more intense games.
12-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Oh, in that case you can go to your account (top right corner on iTunes store), enter your password, click Purchase History, then report the problem by clicking the little arrow next to the transaction. Just explain your problem and I'm sure they'll be understanding and helpful.

I've had a few problems in the past (like download error or other error messages when trying to purchase so I got charged but didn't get the game) and they've been very helpful and kind.

Let me know how it goes.

12-14-2009, 01:39 AM
I've got no idea what your talking about OP.