★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

*shatter* ROFL

12-14-2009, 03:32 AM
*shatter* ROFL

A few people here know how my week has been- regarding my computer.

Laptops have been my main machine for about 15+ years now. My first was a 486SX and it cost about $2500, without a modem, without CD drive and without LAN.

My latest laptop was a an HP Tablet PC- it was a great little machine for an artist at around $1000. I could draw directly on the screen.

This last week, my USB ports started failing. Which means I can't connect ANYTHING- my external drive(s) nor my iPhone. I can't do any work. Yesterday my Wifi failed intermittently.

About 30 minutes ago, I walked by my open computer (it was doing some diagnostic) and my coat caught the edge, throwing the laptop face down onto the floor. I picked it up and the screen is COMPLETELY SHATTERED.

A looked at it and started giggling. I would have laughed out loud if everyone in the house wasn't sleeping.

So now, I'm using an older laptop from a couple years ago.

I think it is time for a Mac.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Saw your tweet.

It's time for a Mac, I'm sure you'll love it.

12-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Send a message via MSN to tukun
saw ur tweet, but after reading, i got the feeling that you destroyed ur laptop on purpose .
anywya macbook is great, abit overpriced but still a great machine to work with
12-14-2009, 06:34 AM
A Mac running Windows in VMWare solves all problems.

I don't dual-boot though - just launch the Windows part when I need something specific. It runs well enough, and when Windows gets clunky I'll just revert to my saved copy of a clean install. Perfect.
12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your laptop Flickitty, that's awful! I myself have destroyed a laptop in a very similar fashion a couple years ago. Fortunately it was a Dell with Accident Damage Protection and was replaced within days at no charge.

I've since given up on PCs/Windows and gone Mac. As another poster mentioned, Windows in VMWare is a great way to get what you need from windows and still run a Mac. Also, if you need significantly better performance out of windows than a VM will provide, you can always bootcamp install Windows and boot directly into it.

In the end, I think you'd be happy you got yourself a Mac. They are a bit pricier, but so worth it IMHO. After nearly 20 years running Microsoft OSes, switching to Mac was probably the BEST computing decision I've ever made!

Q

Quorlan
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
what about the Mac Air for development, is worthy? The other day I saw one on a local commerce...and is a really sweet notebook, but is pretty expensive (I'm in Argentina).

Anyway Flickitty you did that on propose (probably unconscious) to buy a mac
12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I promise you that the Mac will also fail if you throw it face-down on the floor . I have an old Panasonic ToughBook that might be OK; it's on boat chartplotter duty now.

I wish I could use my Asus laptop for iPhone development.
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
While you're out buying your new mac, stop by American Eagle and pick up a smaller coat.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Blessing in disguise, now you have a reason to buy a Mac
12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Arts View Post
I promise you that the Mac will also fail if you throw it face-down on the floor . I have an old Panasonic ToughBook that might be OK; it's on boat chartplotter duty now.

I wish I could use my Asus laptop for iPhone development.
I dropped my 13" aluminum MacBook from 3' onto a concrete floor and it sustained only minor cosmetic damage. It has run like a champ. Granted, the screen could have cracked of course, but it didn't. Let's see a plastic genero-PC laptop withstand the same trauma.

I always swore up and down that I'd never buy a Mac. I bought one to develop iPhone games on and I couldn't be happier.