★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

DropZap update ideas + perhaps a web demo in Javascript

12-15-2009, 11:19 AM
DropZap update ideas + perhaps a web demo in Javascript

Tell me which of these you would like to see most:

* an easy option for the various gameplay modes where difficulty increases more slowly so you can play longer and score higher

* global high scores... but there's a problem with potentially offensive player nicknames... perhaps I could make it without using names at all

* a web demo in Javascript to be used as a way to market the iPhone/iPod touch version... not sure how limited this demo should be

P.S. The 1.2 update of DropZap and DropZap Lite is currently being reviewed by Apple. Among the changes, a new square style (you can switch to the old one from Settings) and the ability to vary gameplay animation speed.

Last edited by amichail; 12-15-2009 at 11:58 AM.
12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
well i've only played 1.0 for a little bit and what really bugged me the most
were the sounds. i think i've read that you did change those for 1.1... is that right?

out of these choices for 1.3 i think global leaderboards are the way to go. i don't care for global leaderboards in every game, but i know that many people really do and i think you could benefit from that. i wouldn't worry about offensive nicks though [as long as apple can not remove the app later on for that]... surprisingly i haven't seen too many apps dealing with that
kind of a problem, yet i don't know if many of those apps have filters or are moderated or something...

on the other hand a browser version could also produce some attention, but i guess with thousands of other web based games, it would be kinda hard to generate attention towards that version in the first place

12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Dropzap is really addicting, and amazing. I think new graphics would be nice and definitely new sounds. Great job, play this all the time.
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenguin View Post
Dropzap is really addicting, and amazing. I think new graphics would be nice and definitely new sounds. Great job, play this all the time.
You don't like the new laser sounds in v1.1? What sort of sounds would you like instead?
12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
well i've only played 1.0 for a little bit and what really bugged me the most
were the sounds. i think i've read that you did change those for 1.1... is that right?

out of these choices for 1.3 i think global leaderboards are the way to go. i don't care for global leaderboards in every game, but i know that many people really do and i think you could benefit from that. i wouldn't worry about offensive nicks though [as long as apple can not remove the app later on for that]... surprisingly i haven't seen too many apps dealing with that
kind of a problem, yet i don't know if many of those apps have filters or are moderated or something...

on the other hand a browser version could also produce some attention, but i guess with thousands of other web based games, it would be kinda hard to generate attention towards that version in the first place
Yes, v1.1 has new laser sounds.

For global leaderboards, perhaps I could whitelist nicknames myself. Any name that is not whitelisted could show up as "anonymous" or "player" or such.

BTW, should I allow multiple players to use the same nickname?

Last edited by amichail; 12-15-2009 at 10:00 PM.
12-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichail View Post
Yes, v1.1 has new laser sounds.

For global leaderboards, perhaps I could whitelist nicknames myself. Any name that is not whitelisted could show up as "anonymous" or "player" or such.

BTW, should I allow multiple players to use the same nickname?
so what you are saying is you would only want to allow nicks if a player registered it before? or how do you want to whitelist nicknames? i think it would be best to consult with other devs on this topic because i really think there would be no need for blacklisting/whitelisting anything. just ask around the dev-forums what experience other devs have made so far. i think they could probably help you out with this the most...
12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
so what you are saying is you would only want to allow nicks if a player registered it before? or how do you want to whitelist nicknames? i think it would be best to consult with other devs on this topic because i really think there would be no need for blacklisting/whitelisting anything. just ask around the dev-forums what experience other devs have made so far. i think they could probably help you out with this the most...
No registration would be required with this approach. But it's a bit misleading/confusing since what you type may not appear for a while (if ever) in the global score list. A default nickname would be used until your nickname is approved. I could mention that your nickname will appear only after it is approved, but that may upset some players.

Last edited by amichail; 12-16-2009 at 11:27 AM.