★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Squareball - IGN Game Of The Year! Now 99.

12-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Squareball - IGN Game Of The Year! Now 99.

Squareball is only possible on the iPhone. Really, where else can you download a cross between Pong and Mario complete with Atari 2600 graphics? With perfect touch controls for scrolling the bit through the teeth-grindingly difficult mazes and a killer chip-tunes soundtrack, Squareball underlines why the iPhone was the most exciting, most original gaming platform in 2009

Some Recent Improvements
- OpenFeint, community services with online Leaderboards & Achievements
- Challenge Mode, 20 smaller levels designed for competitive play
- Optional Tilt Control (touch to freeze)
- Revised color scheme
- Optimizations to further smoothen the rendering
- Frame exact time bonus on Story Mode to facilitate competition
- Many small tweaks to the interface

Video Walkthrough
We recorded a video of Squareball co-developer and star player Mac Shaconey completing the entire Story Mode on one credit, collecting every piece of loot. This is meant for those of you who get stuck in the game, and need some advise. The video is available as a playlist on Youtube starting with:

Youtube link | Pop Up

App Store Link
http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/squareball/id328561150?mt=8

Some Second Opinions
As a concept it's been brilliantly realised with the minimum of fuss. It's one of those rare games that feels simultaneously like a nod to the past and a bold new idea.
- Pocket Gamer, Top 10 best iPhone Games: November 2009

You can pick it up quickly, but it gets progressively harder over time without ever getting frustrating. In other words, it's pretty close to a perfect game
- Gizmodo's Essential iPhone Apps

With graphics akin to Atari's Adventure in pseudo-3D and a fab soundtrack, this game's had me addicted and loving it and hating it in equal measure since its day of release
- Cult of Mac

Fun, gorgeous, very addictive gameplay
- Creative Applications

Flawless, intuitive controls combined with varied, interesting gameplay make Squareball an extremely polished retro arcade title with a huge amount of replayability
- We Play iPhone

Squareball is a great game, a classic in the making
- TouchGen
12-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Squareball?

Game of the year?

What a slap in the face to the other 100 better and more creative games that came out on the platform this year.

Current Favorites: Starbase Orion, Spelltower, PuzzleJuice, Mass Effect, Waking Mars

12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mattll
i think it looks very good

Quote:
Wow! You are the Lionel Messi of the Touch Soccer world!!!
i tested 31 games
12-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I really don't understand how this average game can be game of the year. Sure it's quirky and original, and it's also fun to play when you have some downtime but is it really better than Sword of Fargoal, Rogue Planet, or Space Invaders Infinity Gene for example?!
My vote would be Sword of Fargoal hands-down, alas these things are always based on opinion and one thing I have learned... my opinion rarely matches actual results of polls or awards.
12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
The phattest looting on iDevice, now just 4 quarters. I think every Squareball credit is worth a quarter. People will still be playing SB 20 years from now.

Last edited by Grubjelly; 12-15-2009 at 12:49 PM.
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
This does look like a fun game but not "game of the year" material. How many people voted over at IGN? 1 person?
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
To those who complain Squareball being game of the year, in your opinion, what's the GOTY for you guys? Im sure not everybody will agree with your answers. Everybody has different opinions. Complaining won't do anything. hehe

GOTY for me is JET CAR STUNTS

OpenFeint/Agon: Waward
Plus+: Ward
Beta Tester for Minigore & Katchup!

Last edited by sic; 12-15-2009 at 12:52 PM.
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
This does look like a fun game but not "game of the year" material. How many people voted over at IGN? 1 person?
The IGN wireless review team is decidedly weak most of the time, unfortunately. :-/

Current Favorites: Starbase Orion, Spelltower, PuzzleJuice, Mass Effect, Waking Mars
12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotpretending View Post
The IGN wireless review team is decidedly weak most of the time, unfortunately. :-/
Only when it comes to iphone gaming.
12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
I do enjoy Squareball and it's more than worth 99cent. It is a good game don't get me wrong but Game of the Year? Thats a strong statement...

Sounds like somebody's paraphernalia got laced in transit.

Game Center: Diligence