★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Blox! A Lego(-esque) app... Coming soon!

12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Blox! A Lego(-esque) app... Coming soon!

Hi all,

I'v put up a video demo of my upcoming iPhone 3D interlocking brick modeling app and thought I'd share it here. It's still a bit early in the development cycle, but all the major functionality is there and now it's just a matter of adding all the models in and (hopefully) a few tweaks. I hope to have this ready in time for this time next month.

I'd love to hear any initial reaction or ideas, suggestions or criticisms on the concept.

---- Updated on 2/8/10 ----
I've managed to completely miss my initial beta/release milestones, but progress still continues! I figured I'd put up another video demo showing some of the new features added. Updated video below.

As always any comments, thoughts, criticism (constructive, of course) etc. are welcome; and for those who've requested that they be in the beta pool you're not forgotten... Just delayed, is all.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Thanks!
- Corey

Last edited by redd; 02-08-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Updated with new video.
12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow that looks nice.

PM me if you need a beta tester!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

12-15-2009, 02:16 PM
could you get sued? i mean it won't say lego on it by the design of the bricks it identical to them.
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperz :D View Post
could you get sued? i mean it won't say lego on it by the design of the bricks it identical to them.
Hopefully not
I did check however, and the general patent on the whole interlocking brick-toy-thing does appear to have expired for several years (hence why there's numerous physical Lego-style clones out in toy stores.) The only reason I use the word Lego at all is because I figure people will instantly know what the point of the app is.
12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
This looks rad... if you want another beta tester I'm interested. I used to use open source lego-esque design software to build and render models since I was too poor to buy all the bricks. (huge nerd alert.)

Maybe you can take the same path blockland did and just go until lego sends a cease and desist: http://www.blockland.us/

Anyway. Looks great.
12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Yea this game will be a hit! I'd love to beta test! Will we be able to beta test?

GameCenter Username: DaDramaLlama (Please Add!)
Playing and Loving: Dungeon Defenders, Starfront, Starfall TD(VERY UNDERRATED GAME)
"No I'm not high, I'm just way cooler than you"
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDramaLlama View Post
Yea this game will be a hit! I'd love to beta test! Will we be able to beta test?
re: Beta testing.

A: I have no idea how to go about doing that (still gotta read through all the Apple dev docs on that one, I guess.)

and

B: Yes, once I figure out how that's actually done on the iPhone I'd love to have some beta users who can give some good feedback and learn how to break it! Please PM me with your email and what type(s) of device you have, and I'll let you know when something's available. Probably not till after the 1st of the year though.
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd View Post
re: Beta testing.

A: I have no idea how to go about doing that (still gotta read through all the Apple dev docs on that one, I guess.)

and

B: Yes, once I figure out how that's actually done on the iPhone I'd love to have some beta users who can give some good feedback and learn how to break it! Please PM me with your email and what type(s) of device you have, and I'll let you know when something's available. Probably not till after the 1st of the year though.
I believe you also need our iDevice's UDID. I will send u a PM rite now with everything you need to know. Can't wait til first of January!!

P.S. Thanks for the quick response! Don't leave us hanging like some devs do.

Playing and Loving: Dungeon Defenders, Starfront, Starfall TD(VERY UNDERRATED GAME)
12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Here's a link that should help you with sending out betas! It should only take 4-6 days according to him!http://furbo.org/2008/08/06/beta-testing-on-iphone-20/ hope that helps! I'll send u my information in a bit!

12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Wow, that's really helpful of you, thanks! (You're definitely on the beta list now!)