★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Falling Up

01-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Falling Up

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this game yet. It's interesting, but... I'm not sure. It's free, though, so it's worth trying.

It's pretty much Tetris, but they mix up the playing area by twisting it and turning it around.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301258803&mt=8
01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
it seemed very hard to move the pieces side to side

maybe i was doing it incorrectly

i deleted it and didn't rate it

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !

01-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce25r624 View Post
it seemed very hard to move the pieces side to side

maybe i was doing it incorrectly

i deleted it and didn't rate it
Yeah, they need to explain it somewhere. You have to tap on either side to move left and right, swipe down to drop, and tap the top to spin. It too me a while to figure it out completely.
01-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Yeah, they need to explain it somewhere. You have to tap on either side to move left and right, swipe down to drop, and tap the top to spin. It too me a while to figure it out completely.
I appreciate the feedback--I'm new to iphone development, still learning the ropes. I put instructions in the app description, but apparently those are too easy to skip (or perhaps don't even show up?).

Definitely open to suggestions (including putting instructions somewhere, maybe somewhere on the main screen?)

One note--slide works for drop, but you can also just double-tap down Whatever's easier (sliding apparently counts as a double-tap, sort of).

Last edited by kaolin; 01-14-2009 at 02:55 AM.
01-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I also tried the game.
I read about the controls in the app description but still had some problems... sometimes I tried to drop and instead I moved the piece on one side, or the contrary. I think you may give some visual on-screen information on the background as a reference for the four areas, so one's sure he's not tapping on the wrong place. Or maybe it's just a metter of getting used to it, I don't know.
About the gameplay, since some of the rotations take multiple flips, sometimes I was not able to put the piece in the right place because I could not see the game field for a second or so, and I thought it wasn't very fare.
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
I also tried the game.
I read about the controls in the app description but still had some problems... sometimes I tried to drop and instead I moved the piece on one side, or the contrary. I think you may give some visual on-screen information on the background as a reference for the four areas, so one's sure he's not tapping on the wrong place. Or maybe it's just a metter of getting used to it, I don't know.
I'm wondering a handful of things, if you don't mind--

How well would you say the app description described the sketch for "current controls"?

And would you prefer "suggested controls" (someone emailed me); or something else? I'm thinking I might make the control settings an option, depending on feedback.

I'm also thinking I'll give a thin transparent overlay showing the controls, by default, that can be turned off in the settings. Does that sound too dorky?

Quote:
About the gameplay, since some of the rotations take multiple flips, sometimes I was not able to put the piece in the right place because I could not see the game field for a second or so, and I thought it wasn't very fare.
That's just the game being evil Some of the rotations don't stop until you get to the next level.

The next question is... how long does the app have to live? I've heard through the grapevine that the Tetris corporation is hunting down "falling tetronimo" games on the app store and hassling apple about them (and Apple's taking them down, regardless of actual legal standing). But that's just what I've heard...

I really appreciate the sounding board, all!
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I think the app description was okay. I mean, I am not english native speaking but I understood what you intended without efforts.

Anyway, I was thinking exactly to a transparency of the first sketch as a great option! I'd surely like it. About the suggested new controls, they could be useful to hardcore tetris gamers that make great use of both rotations - I must say I didn't miss them particularly, but it would surely be ok.

Sorry about the bad news - I don't get what damage they could have by small apps. Bah.