★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Rocket Cop is a fast-action space game for the iPhone or iPod touch.

You control a fleet of rockets that must be guided to safety past asteroids, UFOs, and other obstacles. Avoid the obstructions, or shoot them down with missiles from your bases.

You have the tools to do the job:
Guide the incoming rockets to their bases by drawing a line for the flight path you want them to follow.
Launch missiles to destroy obstacles to keep a clear path for your rockets.
Double-tap your rockets for a burst of speed to avoid collisions.
For Space Station levels, you even rotate the station to line up ships with the correct dock colors.

Each of the 8 missions (the first two available for free) add something new and different to the game--aliens, black holes, supernovas, and more. With more levels and challenges coming in the next update!

See game play videos on RocketCop.com
Features In-App Purchase: Free and Full version in one app.

LordGek's comments:
Flight Control meets Missile Command!

Oh, and don't let the free completely fool you, they're following the hip new trend of releasing the game for free BUT if you want more than just the first couple of levels you'll need to cough up a $1 for an in-app purchase.

I don't have a problem with this trend, for the most part, but think devs doing so need to make this more clear in the app description. I mean from the above description would you have any idea you're only getting essentially a demo for your $0?

12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
No thanks on the DLC, lol. Aside from the graphics, its pretty fun though!

12-16-2009, 09:43 AM
This seems to be becoming a bit of a trend: Lite versions masquerading as free full versions that you only discover are lite when you download and play and realize you ain't gettin' the full game 'til you buy the DLC pack(s).

I probably wouldn't mind so much -- it's a pretty efficient way of introducing lite versions -- if the dev said so in the description. But there's zero mention of it here, and that's shady.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
12-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
This seems to be becoming a bit of a trend: Lite versions masquerading as free full versions that you only discover are lite when you download and play and realize you ain't gettin' the full game 'til you buy the DLC pack(s).

I probably wouldn't mind so much -- it's a pretty efficient way of introducing lite versions -- if the dev said so in the description. But there's zero mention of it here, and that's shady.
Yeah, I'm even willing to say I like this BETTER than the old lite/full paradigm as it doesn't mean you then have a useless lite version of the game still on your device to deal with after upgrading, keeps stuff nice and neat, but it seems mentioning that a game has DLC stuff and or the price of the DLC is totally optional for the dev to list in the description.

Oh, on a side note, is this a new trend at TA? I only created the topic "RocketCop" but, blammo, it shows up as "RocketCop [Free with DLC]" which is fine and a better title than I thought of but it definitely caught me off guard how it somehow was auto-modified!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Oh, on a side note, is this a new trend at TA? I only created the topic "RocketCop" but, blammo, it shows up as "RocketCop [Free with DLC]" which is fine and a better title than I thought of but it definitely caught me off guard how it somehow was auto-modified!
Looks like new mod is doing his job
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
There's much good comments, will try it
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Yeah, I'm even willing to say I like this BETTER than the old lite/full paradigm as it doesn't mean you then have a useless lite version of the game still on your device to deal with after upgrading, keeps stuff nice and neat, but it seems mentioning that a game has DLC stuff and or the price of the DLC is totally optional for the dev to list in the description.
Indeed. I like the idea of not having separate downloads between lite and full; get the lite, pay in-game to upgrade to full; no separate download. But I imagine it would be impossible for Apple to enforce full disclosure about DLC packs. However, that does at least give an easy indication of which developers are above board and which ones are trying to be shady by fooling people into thinking it's a free full game just for the download numbers. (Whicih brings up an interesting point from a dev perspective: Does DLC factor into sales rankings?) It can also backfire on the dev as those who aren't up front about the free lite+DLC thing are liable to get bad reviews, since everyone can download it, and many probably won't like being mislead into thinking it's a full game for free.

12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
ya know, i actually dont mind devs not being open about having dlc, as long as either

1. the game is free anyway!(seed 1 for example)

2. DLC is not needed to make the game feel 'full' (seed 1 again! Another good example would be pocket god, though that may be argued)

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
To the dev's credit, who responded to my issue within minutes of registering the complaint, that this was not their intention to be misleading.

They initially had something in the description better explaining that this was the trial version with the full version enabled as a DLC but Apple (and I can totally believe this with their weird list of forbidden terms) nixed that description since they mentioned "trial" (I guess Apple doesn't BELIEVE in trial versions of apps) so they just dropped that whole section of the description so they could have something up when the game came out (it evidently has been in Apple limbo for weeks). He's already submitted an updated description but isn't clear how long it will take before it goes up.

I've invited the dev to join us here so hopefully he can better clear this confusion up himself.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I didn't mean to imply that this dev was being shady -- though that question remained open for discussion here. But this isn't the first time I've seen this and my initial impression of such behaviour was that it was a bit shady, even if it may or may not have been intentional. I can totally believe Apple nixing the word "Trial" -- they've done this many times before, and I still think it's a bucket of tard, especially when such a stupid and insignificant thing sends it right back to the end of the queue.

Still, the potential for abuse is there, and if this dev isn't doing it deliberately, you bet your booty some will.