★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Your view on DLC?

View Poll Results: Your opinion on DLC
I think DLC is great. 11 11.46%
I think DLC is a rip-off. 19 19.79%
It depends on what it offers/how it is used. 66 68.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll
12-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Señor Member [Original Poster]
Your view on DLC?

So Skies of Glory has just been released, we have learnt how developers can rip people off (i.e - Eliminate).
What is your opinion?

Hakuna Matata
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I think DLC is great.

12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
free with DLC is good idea - gets the game into more player's hands.
I don't think its necessarily the way to make a lot of money though - from the Developer's side. Case in point - Eliminate isn't in the top 100 grossing - and its biggest hyped DLC game.
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Things like Eliminate and Skies of Glory- Hate it
Offering Bonus Content to a Game I like- Like it

Gamecenter: Will090
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I think it's a decent tool but iTunes and the AppStore need to now have the basic entry structure modified so as to better detail each of the in-app purchases right there in the app's description.

Crap like get the FREE GAME with DLC only to find out that the dev expects you to pay for each aspect of the game separately w/o the app description listing any of the information for these in-app purchases is just sleazy.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Señor Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will090 View Post
Things like Eliminate and Skies of Glory- Hate it
Offering Bonus Content to a Game I like- Like it
Yeah, that is also my opinion on the subject.
I don't want to be fannying about with DLC for essential content such as planes, weapons/armour, multiplayer etc. I just want to play the game.
Bonus content that isn't required for the gameplay (such as changing appearance, skins, bonus content etc) is the only content I feel that should be charged for via DLC.

Hakuna Matata
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
It depends on what it offers/how it is used IMO.
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
I don't think its necessarily the way to make a lot of money though - from the Developer's side. Case in point - Eliminate isn't in the top 100 grossing - and its biggest hyped DLC game.
Eliminate likely made hundreds of thousands of dollars judging by its position and sustainability on the top grossing chart following its release. It stayed on the charts higher and longer than Command & Conquer Red Alert, which launched a day before Eliminate for $9.99. Eliminate's pricing structure also allows for tons of flexibility in sales and promotions, something that can't be done with other games where you can only drop the price... Assuming of course you didn't launch at 99¢, then you've got nowhere to go.

From the Skies of Glory thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
The 99¢ gravy train eventually will come to an end. In the current system there is only room for 10-25 people to make money at a low price. Canabalt's Adam Saltsman put up a good blog post about this issue, and honestly, developers need to monetize their games somehow. It's pretty sad to get random emails from developers who have produced great games in the past who are either about to throw in the towel on the App Store, or have moved on to greener pastures because of the unrealistic demands of App Store customers.

Why haven't we seen a new NimbleBit game recently? Because instead of focusing on the App Store they've been spending their time producing games for Steam where people will gladly pay $20 for a game without needing to start an online petition or write their congressman.

Everyone wants better and higher quality games with online multiplayer, 40+ hours of gameplay, RPG style progression, Pocket God references, and online leaderboards... But no one is willing to pay for it. These DLC models are just an attempt for developers to meet iPhone gamers half way in providing a game for free or very cheap, hoping that those who enjoy it toss them a couple bucks.
It's kind of depressing that quite a few people around here equate developers trying to pay their mortgages with greed, and selling a game for more than a couple bucks as being ripped off. This phenomenon doesn't seem to exist anywhere that I've been able to find outside of the App Store.
12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I think there is a fine line with developers with this.

To offer a payed game with a couple of levels then charge for the rest is a rip off - if you pay for a game then you expect a full game.

To offer a payed game full of content (a full game) then expand the game with new modes and levels is fine. This is giving more back to the customer.

The difference is that the customer does not feel cheated.
12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
It's ok I guess, but things like Eliminate go too far.

imo.