★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-Plane Carrier Out

12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
X-Plane Carrier Out

THIS is the App you guys have been asking for: X-Plane CARRIER.

This app is the most realistic aerial combat simulation for iPhone (by far), and is the most realist carrier-ops simulation for iPhone as well.

Your ultimate goal is to take off from the carrier, destroy your adversary in the air without being shot down yourself, and return to the carrier for landing.
You will receive a score based on your performance. How high how can you score? We have never managed to exceed a 90% here.

Catapults, guns, guided missiles, and arresting gear are all realistically simulated (more realistically than any other iPhone app by far), giving you the ultimate aviation challenges of aircraft carrier operations and aerial combat in one simulation.

You will have access to the World-War-2 F4U Corsair, a screaming 350+ mph fighter packing two THOUSAND horsepower.
This goes against the nimble Japanese A6M 'Zero'... a much slower and less powerful, but much MORE MANEUVERABLE, adversary.
You can fly either plane against the other, to experiment in the advantages of speed versus maneuverability.

You can also try the mighty F-4 Phantom, with over thirty-two THOUSAND pounds of thrust, and four air-to-air guided missiles, and guns if those fail.
This bird flies against the surprisingly fast and agile Mig-21 Fishbed, which puts up an amazing fight with it's light weight and tight turns.
As well, you can take the Mig up against the Phantom to try the battle from the other side. Which plane is better in the dog-fight?

After winning the aerial engagement, of course, the battle is only half-won... you still have to put the plane on the carrier.
Google 'carrier landings' to learn how... what you see there does apply to this simulation... all of the X-Plane simulations are realistic enough that you can just research how to fly the REAL planes, and use that research to see how to fly X-Plane.

Once you have licked the violent aerial engagements and tricky carrier operations in day, night, clear, cloudy, calm, and windy conditions, battling all different sorts of adversaries in all different sorts of weather at all times of day, you can move on to MULTIPLAYER! This gets really, really, fun, of course, because this is the first-ever X-Plane simulation where you can shoot your opponent down to a flaming, horrible death.

Ready to try it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	310787099screen.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	12197  
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
wow looks great! Vids would help of course

12-16-2009, 04:54 PM

12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm sick of the X-Plane series. Do they really need 9 different games? First we were promised free updates, with helicopters and the such, to the original "X-Plane 9" for iPhone. Now that never happened... This strategy has convinced me to never buy an X-Plane game again, I don't want to be ripped off.
12-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Although I appreciate the continued content they put out in the form of yet another x-plane game -- Why don't they just fuse all of their x-plane games into one app and provide in-app DLC instead of charging us 10 bucks for the next x-plane app?
12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm sick of kids whining that they want everything for nothing. If you don't want it, just keep quiet.

These apps are fantastic value for money to those of us that actually appreciate them for what they actually are.
12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Not everyone on this board are kids buddy.

Whether or not your including my last comment in your collective personal opinion, I don't really care.

I'm just saying as a guy who's bought all previous X-Plane apps prior to this, I'm growing tired of plopping yet another 10 dollars for something that could easily be DLC. I don't see why they feel the need to keep churning out 10 dollar addons with the name "X-Plane" slapped on for good measure. The X-Plane series is very good but I'm beginning to feel their desire to 'milk' the app store customer base now.
12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I am not very wild about their pricing model either, but I really suggest you write to them and sure you will get heard. Remember that stupid 15 second "demo" early on? I write to them and that thing gets pulled and we have the "Trainer".

Also, before they claim to be the "most realistic" flight-sim, where is the rudder? Even the "arcade" Flight of Glory has yaw control!

4 planes does not sound like much worth the $$$, except for carrier landing. I some how doubt the about LR's ability to make a "game", anyone TOFTT?

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
12-16-2009, 07:54 PM

I'd buy this if I could get my $9.99 back for the unflyable X-plane Copter I bought....
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendonian View Post
These apps are fantastic value for money to those of us that actually appreciate them for what they actually are.
I really hope you don't actually consider these to be real flight simulators. Sure it's realistic, but you just can't control enough.

I think it's stupid that each new feature is released in a new app, but I wouldn't care about it if the developer didn't claim that helicopters, and other planes, would be added to the original version. This was a while back, a week or so before XP9 for iPhone was released.