★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Brothers In Arms OR Hero Of Sparta?

01-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Brothers In Arms OR Hero Of Sparta?

OMG. OK OK shoot me. I started a VS thread..

It seems valid now though... both games just dropped to $5.99

Which one is a better buy? I like BiA games and HOS looks too much like GoW which I extremely like as well...

Hmm.. what to buy?

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
been reading the reviews for HOS and they say it gets choppy... has this been resolved??

**GO LAKERS **

01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
been reading the reviews for HOS and they say it gets choppy... has this been resolved??
I had no problems with choppiness. The game plays great. It was completely worth $9.99.
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
i got both (From these price cuts)...

frankly, i liked HoS better, BiA controls is a bit clunky - and i love fps'es, never had a problem with dual-analog shooters on my 360, but this doesn't feel right...

sparta has better controls imo...
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
how about the levels... ONLY 8???

how long does it take to beat it? are there checkpoints assuming these levels are monstrous!

**GO LAKERS **
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
BIA all the way. I just bought Hero and played for about 10 minutes. It's not as spectacular as some of the reviews led me to believe, though I'm only up a few checkpoints.
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont have hos, and i dont plan on it, even at that price. Bia was def worth it, but i dont see myself really playing hos.

Cobalt and Calcium- THE Coheed and Cambria fansite- NEW ALBUM COMING SOON!!!!

Waiting for- Bioshock, NHL 10, FIFA 10, Guerrilla Bob, NOVA, Sketch Nation
01-14-2009, 01:49 PM
god damn it!!!

a game that costs $6 has "HERO...SPARTA" wtf!!! call it HOS or whatever. fark that!

**GO LAKERS **
01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
get rolando it a fun game
02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Hero of Sparta all the way

To me, this really isn't a contest. I bought both games about a month ago and have spent awhile on each. I'm a fan of both genres (I have no problem with fps's on my ps3, and love the GoW series), but brothers in arms is really just not as high quality. It feels kind of clunky (the controls), there are parts that don't make sense or are unreasonably difficult for no apparent reason, and as for the graphics and presentation it really isn't anything all that special. However, you do get used to it, and learn little ins and outs as you progress further into the game, and in the end it really isn't that bad of a game. A problem is that there's this one level you reach (like 8 levels in or so), where you reach a part that is literally unpassable. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I've played it at least 15 times trying everything I could possibly imagine, but nothing works - every time, you die about 10 seconds after spawning. I have no idea why - maybe its a glitch with my copy (I doubt it, though, I've had no problems throughout the rest of the game and have reset my ipod multiple times, even re-downloaded BIA), but nothing works. As such, the game is now unplayable, and this annoys me. Actually, though, it wasn't that great of a game in the first place.

Now, hero of sparta, on the other hand, is not only hands-down the best game I ever have played or likely will play on my ipod touch, it's one of the better games I've EVER played, right up there with the classics of the full-on videogame consoles. The presentation, graphics, music, and epic-ness are all 10/10, and I keep shaking my head, completely amazed that I'm playing this on my IPOD. The gameplay could use some improvement in a couple areas (the focus kills can get boring once you learn them, as they are slow paced and exactly the same for each enemy), and it would be better if there were more ways of attacking (attack combos, buttons, etc. So far I have found a total of four combos - the normal attach string, which is just tapping the attack button repeatedly, a special attack where you tap the attack button once and then tap it again, except holding it down this time, a special attack where you hold down the attack button, and a running attack where you press the shield button while running.) There is also the shield-special attack, and five different weapons, but I still can't help but feel that they could've had more (not weapons, but attack options). That said, the gameplay is still solid, and very entertaining. You will enjoy it. As for choppiness, I have noticed very little, if any at all. The game runs very well. Another area that could use some work is the length / replay value - it features 3 difficulty modes, but the game is only about five hours or so long, and there are no other gameplay modes other than the main story mode. That said, I enjoyed the experience so much that I went through and played it again, multiple times (I'm on my 3rd run-through right now). My last point is the story - it was ok, (epic scale), but for anyone who's into a story in a game, you will find it completely non-original, uninteresting, and just that it doesn't succeed in pulling you in, at all. So that could use some improvement.
Overall, though, it's small faults don't manage to significantly mar the experience, and it is worth far more than $6, in my mind. I desperately want to see more games of this quality in the app store, and frankly, this game can't sell enough. The developers need to get their money's worth for the excellent effort they put into this, and then some. I can't recommend this enough.

My Scores:

BIA
Overall 6/10
Graphics 8/10
Gameplay 5/10
Presentation 7.5/10
Music basically non-existant
Story basically non-existant
Value 5/10

HoS
Overall 9/10
Graphics 10/10