★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Question about transfering game saves...

12-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Send a message via AIM to RKRigney
Question about transfering game saves...

Can it be done? I plan on replacing my iPod Touch tomorrow due to an unfortunate crack in my screen, and I was wondering if doing so will erase all of my game save data, or will I get all that data back when I sync with my applications in my itunes?

www.rkrigney.com
Ryan Rigney - Freelance Writer
12-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Well I have a jailbroken second gen ipod touch, and there's a cydia app called 'AppBackup' which lets you ... *dramatic pause* backup your game files.

So lets say I don't want Assassins creed on my touch anymore, yet I don't want to have to start from zero (I'm stuck at one part ), so I AppBackup it, and then delete it. When I resync Assassins creed later I can restore the backup and my progress is still there!

12-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRigney View Post
Can it be done? I plan on replacing my iPod Touch tomorrow due to an unfortunate crack in my screen, and I was wondering if doing so will erase all of my game save data, or will I get all that data back when I sync with my applications in my itunes?
Yes you can, have your iPod a full back-up. Then on your new iPod, restore it.

OpenFeint/Agon: Waward
Plus+: Ward
Beta Tester for Minigore & Katchup!
12-17-2009, 01:52 AM
how do I do a full backup?

www.rkrigney.com
12-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Quote:
how do I do a full backup?
Sync with itunes
12-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Okay, so I clicked encrypt iPod backup and it said it was backing up my ipod. How do I restore what I just backed up to my new ipod when I plug it in tomorrow night?

EDIT

Nevermind I figured it out Thanks for the help, guys!

www.rkrigney.com
12-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Okay, so I clicked encrypt iPod backup and it said it was backing up my ipod. How do I restore what I just backed up to my new ipod when I plug it in tomorrow night?
When you first plug in a new ipod a screen in itunes will come up asking if you want to sync as a new ipod, or sync from a back up. Choose the back up option and select the newest date and time available.
12-17-2009, 03:52 AM
What happens if you have 2 iDevices plugged into the same computer? Will there be 2 separate backups?
12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
What happens if you have 2 iDevices plugged into the same computer? Will there be 2 separate backups?
I assume though, since each device is different iTunes would probably recognize that and save both backups separately. That's just an educated guess though.
12-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek420 View Post
I assume though, since each device is different iTunes would probably recognize that and save both backups separately. That's just an educated guess though.
So if you plug in a new iDevice, can you choose which backup to sync into the iDevice?