★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Surf Prodigy 1.2 Beta questions

12-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Surf Prodigy 1.2 Beta questions

I have a few questions for those interested in my game.

1. What view would you prefer the barrel from? Looking at the surfer as you see in magazines or from over the shoulder looking out?

2. Waves - Would being able to pull off the back of the wave be of interest to you, which would mean you go and paddle for a new wave?

Erm... that's all for now.
12-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Aww c'mon guys and gals. Don't be shy - feedback is welcome.

12-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Jarek Send a message via MSN to Jarek Send a message via Skype™ to Jarek
Quote:
1. What view would you prefer the barrel from? Looking at the surfer as you see in magazines or from over the shoulder looking out?
Definately from the shoulder.

Quote:
2. Waves - Would being able to pull off the back of the wave be of interest to you, which would mean you go and paddle for a new wave?
Yes, definately.

"Art does not reproduce, what we see. It rather makes us see"
12-18-2009, 04:49 AM
I agree with Jarek on both counts, the second option would also give your game something unique to differentiate it from other surfing apps.

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
12-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks guys - noted. Screenshots coming soon.

1. Actually something else about getting off the wave, would you expect it to be automatic? Currently the way the detection works, if you go over the crest of the wave you fall off the back, which means you have to time aerials to jump just before this point - poor timing might mean a lot of players flick off the wave when they meant to just do an aerial.

Should flicking off be a button press, or just leave it up to the player to time it right?

2. Another thing I was thinking of doing was adding something that happens in real life. When you look at a wave approaching you, because of the density of water etc you can't see through it to the horizon, so in the game from this angle it would be opaque. But when you stand up on the board and look down IRL you can see the reef and sand rushing below through the water. I noticed Kelly Slater PS2 does this.

I am going to add this effect (even though the iPhone struggles with too many effects) so it will trigger the transparency of the wave depending on the angle you are looking at the water - should add another layer to add to the sensation of speed.

Last edited by Psychopsam; 12-18-2009 at 05:41 AM.
12-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Jarek Send a message via MSN to Jarek Send a message via Skype™ to Jarek
Quote:
Should flicking off be a button press, or just leave it up to the player to time it right?
Rather yes. It would make Your game more diffucult, the same more interesting. It's always more attractive to play more and harder, but have satisfaction of mastering the game.

Quote:
2. Another thing I was thinking of doing was adding something that happens in real life. When you look at a wave approaching you, because of the density of water etc you can't see through it to the horizon, so in the game from this angle it would be opaque. But when you stand up on the board and look down IRL you can see the reef and sand rushing below through the water. I noticed Kelly Slater PS2 does this.
Such effect would be absoluvely cool. Partially transparent water and reef, sand, fish visible through - great idea.
The sansation of speed You can achieve not via adding additional layer on the water under, but with layer added to the space around player - f.e. blured lines on the curves (edges) if the player character, possibly enviromental gaussian blur round the screen edges.

12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
what`s with first person style? this would be great
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones94 View Post
what`s with first person style? this would be great
No first person style, that way you wouldn't feel as if you have control over the surfer. About the timing issue, leave it as it is right now.
12-18-2009, 06:50 PM
To summise...

What you want for the grab rail is over the shoulder-cam.

What you want for the flick-off is to press a button to make a positive action to leave the wave?

Was the first-person idea for inside the barrel? Perhaps I should have a first person cam as an option, with a camera icon to flick back if you don't like it.
12-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Yes, good idea.
More options always make game more customizable, so also the more interesting.

I am looking forward to see some screenshots soon.