★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: still waiting for dream game

09-29-2008, 05:11 PM
still waiting for dream game

ok I'm not a big gamer but have tried a few on my iphone and there's just nothing that really has made a big impression on me yet, i really want something like super mario 64 now i know that will never happen but something like that where you jump around collect stuff, kill loads of enemies move on to different levels, you get the idea, something to match a ds game. ok rant over
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Most iphone games are cell phone games, or at best they fall into a sort of console-phone-hybrid grey area.

I think a few select titles are real quality productions with great value, but we're still missing that particular game that will be able to compete with the DS or PSP.

09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
Most iphone games are cell phone games, or at best they fall into a sort of console-phone-hybrid grey area.

I think a few select titles are real quality productions with great value, but we're still missing that particular game that will be able to compete with the DS or PSP.
Devs are treading on new grounds. DS and PSP quality games will cost more than the normal 9.99 ceiling price now on iPhone games. I hope we'll see games in 6 mos that will be close to those, provided the big companies take the lead and stop re-hashing simple casual games that indies can easily make.
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I have to agree. Most of the games have been developed from a cell phone perspective in mind. Having said that, the only game that I can think of that has some console quality length to it, that I've played, is SMB. The only problem is, it's so challenging that I haven't gotten too far yet. Anyways, I believe Rolando will be the first true DS / PSP type game available to us. I'm crossing my fingers. I realize that many developers are operating from a "quick/pick-up and play, then put away" mindset, but as the months pass, I'm sure we're going to see some hardcore games. Games that we can play for more than a couple of weeks or longer and still not be finished. I also can't wait for Need for Speed - Should be out in a couple of weeks, hopefully. That'll be top-notch too.
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
What the iPhone needs is a true, 3D platformer. Kroll is a quick fix, but we need the 40 hour stuff. Maybe if SquareEnix got on it...

But what I wanna see is maybe a 3D FPS, with optional movement controls (lean slightly forward to walk, push one side forward to turn a certain direction, tap to fire, etc). That would take the cake.
09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticookie View Post
What the iPhone needs is a true, 3D platformer. Kroll is a quick fix, but we need the 40 hour stuff. Maybe if SquareEnix got on it...

But what I wanna see is maybe a 3D FPS, with optional movement controls (lean slightly forward to walk, push one side forward to turn a certain direction, tap to fire, etc). That would take the cake.
40 hour fixes or DS and PSP quality games will cost 30-40 bucks. You can argue that the big companies don't have to worry about the packaging, disc, etc. so it should be cheaper but you're wrong. Overall packaging and shipping costs only account for around 1-2%, plus retail stores only take 20%; Apple takes 30%. So big publishers are actually at a loss by about 8% when they sell to the Appstore, on the other hand indies without a distribution system in place benefits more.

I know I'm willing to pay that much if it's good; but I think casuals that haven't really touched a hardcore game before would be shocked at that price. So unless the AppStore market evolves, it'll be a while before we see these types of games.

Last edited by dudehuge; 09-29-2008 at 05:49 PM.
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
the only 2 games I really like are real football which I think is quite good and super monkey ball which drives me crazy!!!
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I think we have a problem here

I personally don't forsee any "quality" games the likes of anything Square-Enix would put out for the ds, being released in the near future. I feel that as long as the price appears capped (by the consumer) at $10, we will only see 10 dollar games.

I do not see why developers who can create games for the DS/PSP like Crisis core ($39.99) or even the Final Fantasy tactics A2 ($34.99), would intentionally create the same level of game but sell it for $10, when they have those choices open. Not to mention the surge of people "waiting for the price to drop".

I completely understand not wanting to pay $10 for games like frogger, but I hear that kind of talk about applications and games that are completely worth the money the developer is asking.

We may know that we would pay $30 for a game like crisis core if it was released, but that may not be the impression big developers are getting.

All they see is:

"I spent countless money hiring programmers and artists, who in turn spent countless hours creating and refining a role playing masterpiece. I released it into the app store for $30, only to be forced to reduce it to $15, then $10, then $5. Not worth it. Let us focus on the PSP and DS"

I feel the consumer culture is stifling this gaming medium, at least for the present.
09-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Think about this, though...

It's very cheap to put a game in the app store. I'm not talking about development costs, but to actually get it into the store.

If someone makes a game that's going to sell for $35 on multiple portable platforms, they might as well release it for the iPhone too. They really have nothing to lose. If people don't buy it on the iPhone, but they do on the DS and PSP, then the dev lost nothing.

Think about it. Money isn't the reason they're not releasing those games. One thing you have to understand about business people is they generally don't like trying anything new. If they can't prove it will make them money, they won't do it.

(BTW, I work in the film industry. That's practically every producers motto).
09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Think about it. Money isn't the reason they're not releasing those games. One thing you have to understand about business people is they generally don't like trying anything new. If they can't prove it will make them money, they won't do it.

(BTW, I work in the film industry. That's practically every producers motto).
Amen to that. I'm actually in film as well, and i can attest that many of the same rules seem to apply