★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Puzzle Quest patch is out... verdict?

01-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Puzzle Quest patch is out... verdict?

I'm a huge PQ fan, but I held off so far on this due to all the complaints/issues.
I'm SO ready to jump on this game, just want a few confirmations that the update makes the game playable... or that it's still crap in which case I'll just write this game off and never get it.

Anyone? Thoughts?
01-15-2009, 01:05 AM
I too held off until the patch, and decided to buy since it was released today. I loved playing Puzzle Quest on my PSP, and it was literally the first game I looked to see if they had on IPhone when I received it from my wife for Christmas.

I have only very minor complaints. Out of battle the text is still somewhat small. I have no problem reading it, but I do have to focus a bit more than should be needed. Also it bugs me that they allow you to lose a turn if you mess up a move. It's infinitely easier to mess up on a touchscreen on quarter inch orbs, than with a gamepad. Like I said, minor complaints, nothing that makes me regret purchasing.

I really have not notice any slowing down at all (the FPS actually seems better than my PSP version), although I have only played 5 or so battle thus far. So perhaps it just hasn't arose yet.

Seems like they made some good changes. I've been somewhat disappointed with most games I've bought thus far, so I'm more than happy to purchase a game I know is a quality title. $10 is really not too bad of a price, especially since people are claiming 20+ hours of gameplay. Most $60+ RPGs for new gaming systems barely last that long.

Definitely a quality game and a good value.

01-15-2009, 01:56 AM
I lost my character once I started a new one --had all the storm gear and everything.....the update did not fix a thing. I still do not have my old character ----- T|hink its time for me to give up on this game ...too bad I love this game ----this sucks.
01-15-2009, 03:03 AM
I take my lost characters back with this update. Font is sharp. And game starts faster. I think, this update is serious good job...

MacBook 13" 2.4/OSX 10.5.6 EN
iPhone 3G 16GB Black v2.2 (O2) No JB
iPod Touch 2G 32GB *new*
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
After countless hours playing Puzzle Quest on my iPhone (I'm near the end, but I'm not anymore THAT sure...everytime I say: this must be the last quest!...new quests come up...this game is HUGE ) I had the opportunity to play 1 hour with the updated version.

I have to say prior commenting on the update that I liked the game very much even before the update, and despite the (right) critics I personally liked Puzzle Quest more than any other App Store offering (and I think it's one of the best recent game I played on any platform).

Having said that, the update bring:

1) a (very slightly) improvement in the intial loading
2) crispier graphics (the 'blur' effect is gone, you can see it even in the title screen)
3) more responsivness in touch screen (expecially when levelling up)
4) the gem collapsing frame rate is a bit faster (I didn't notice all that lag before tough, it was perfectly playable)
5) they have changed the fonts to render them a bit more readable.

In all honesty, while they ARE much more readable and I think they will please a lot of people, I do not find that 'game understading' is changed that much....if you can read now, with little difference you could have read the text before the upgrade (I think criticism was a bit exagerated);
Some text is still tiny (ie: description in the inventary...there are the tiniest font of the whole game, and they are unchanged).

Some things I hoped that would change and aren't:

1) you still have to tap to continue dialogue, and the symbol of 'continue' (a little arrow) is placed in the middle of the dialogue...not very beautiful.
2) when examining objects or long lists, you have to tap on the side arrow up and down...you can't use your finger...veeeeeeeery old

These were the things I noticed, maybe it's just me but I think that even the music was changed (seemed more fluid in the transitions, no more pauses...but I played only an hour).

I think it's the best game in the App Store; certainly I'm playing it non stop and stopped playing any other game.
Despite the whole 'chapter one' criticism, it's the game I played more (MUCH more) than any other.

Now....chapter 2 and 3...and Galactrix?
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice analysis Pitta (post #5).

I agree and I've also enjoyed the game before the update.

Of course it could be more than a port. Anyway, a great and unique game.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Got it, but no match for PSP

I have Puzzle Quest for PSP (and really like it) but also bought for my Touch thinking it would be great on the go.
Well, for me, the Touch version is very poor (even after the upgrade). The gameplay and quality on the PSP (or even the DS version which I have seen) is far superior. I still have found the Touch version blurry, clunky, overly busy, and so visually straining that I have once againg removed from and await another possible upgrade (though I doubt it can be saved ... some games are best not ported to the Touch).
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
It's definitely better on PSP, but the thing is, despite the system supporting a memory stick, they never released the balance fixes they added to the 360 and PC versions (not to mention the expansion). This content is (or will be) included in this version. Still, it IS mystifying how they managed to make the iPhone version run and look worse than the DS one.

Still, credit where it's due, the new version is noticeably improved technically. The battle interface still needs quite a bit of work, however. There's no way you can check out status effects and equipment, and the screen is somewhat cluttered. The size of the playing area wouldn't be an issue normally, but the iphone/touch platform depends solely on a touch screen, so I think that they could have engineered the game in a way that fit the platform better.

Perhaps in time a zooming feature could be implemented for battles and inventory? Anyway, looking forward to the next instalment, as this game is probably my favourite handheld title bar none.
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecloak View Post
I'm a huge PQ fan, but I held off so far on this due to all the complaints/issues.
I'm SO ready to jump on this game, just want a few confirmations that the update makes the game playable... or that it's still crap in which case I'll just write this game off and never get it.

Anyone? Thoughts?
It's a nice improvement, for sure. We raised our score from a 1 to a 2.

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Not getting a lost character back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parranoya View Post
I lost my character once I started a new one --had all the storm gear and everything.....the update did not fix a thing. I still do not have my old character ----- T|hink its time for me to give up on this game ...too bad I love this game ----this sucks.
Hi there parranoya.

I'm at TransGaming, and would like to give you a hand with this, as we're pretty certain that the lost-hero bug has been fixed in version 1.1. If you'd like to contact us through our support email address at gametreelive.com/pq_faq.html we'll get someone to look into your problem quickly.

Thanks,
-Sutha