★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "Pure genius, and possibly one of the best side-scrollers Ive ever had the pleasure to review on the iPhone!" - AppViews.dk Review

INTRODUCTION:
A little ball-bearing has never had it so tough...

Your Mission: Collect as many gems as you can and last as long as possible in this action-packed game of survival.

The Complication: Dynamite, laser-beams, and a bottomless pit must be avoided to elude your impending demise. Only the quick will survive...

SUMMARY:
Diaballic is an endless, side-scrolling action platformer in which you, a metal ball-bearing, must survive as long as possible. Platforms fly in from the right; you must navigate around obstacles and avoid falling to your death. For maximum points, however, collect the precious gems that come your way.

FEATURES:
- 4 difficulty levels: (Easy, Medium, Hard, & Diaballic) with faster scrolling-speeds.

- Various kinds of obstacles, gems, and platforms to make you think before you leap.

- Four different power-ups, ranging from a gem magnet to a low-gravity field.

- Controlled, random level design, so no two games are ever alike!

- Both GLOBAL and LOCAL high score lists for each difficulty level so you can compete with your friends.

- Customizable control settings so you have no excuses for lackluster performance!

CONTROLS:
- Onscreen arrow buttons that you can place on either side of the screen.

- A large "Jump" button. You can "double-jump" by tapping the button twice. (HINT: this ability is your lifeline!).

- Controls have customizable transparency. Want to see the whole screen? Just make them disappear.

Diaballic is both fast-paced and addictive. Games rarely last more than a few minutes, and if they do, you should ramp up the difficulty. Trust us, "Diaballic" difficulty is, well, diabolical. And don't worry, the slow-and-simple "Easy" mode will help beginners conquer the short learning curve.

Happy leaping!

NOTE: If you are experiencing any lag, try powering off and restarting your iPhone or iPod Touch. This step is often necessary after installing new apps and can make a big performance difference on older devices.

tmsquasher's comments:
UPDATE: 1.2 Update was approved today (2/3), see details on Page 3!

Hi, TA Members! Our first game – Diaballic – is now out on the App Store!

App: Diaballic
Developer: Revoc Technologies
Price: $0.99
Screenshots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	diaballic_scrn01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	12383 Click image for larger version

Name:	diaballic_scrn02.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	12384
Click image for larger version

Name:	diaballic_scrn03.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	12385 Click image for larger version

Name:	diaballic_scrn04.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	12386

Please check out this video trailer to see the game in action:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Description:

INTRODUCTION:
A little ball-bearing has never had it so tough...
Your Mission: Collect as many gems as you can and last as long as possible in this action-packed game of survival.
The Complication: Dynamite, laser-beams, and a bottomless pit must be avoided to elude your impending demise. Only the quick will survive...

SUMMARY:
Diaballic is an endless, side-scrolling action platformer in which you, a metal ball-bearing, must survive as long as possible. Platforms fly in from the right; you must navigate around obstacles and avoid falling to your death. For maximum points, however, collect the precious gems that come your way.

FEATURES:
- 4 difficulty levels: (Easy, Medium, Hard, & Diaballic) with faster scrolling-speeds.
- Various kinds of obstacles, gems, and platforms to make you think before you leap.
- 4 different power-ups, ranging from gem-magnets to a low-gravity field!
- Controlled, random level design, so no two games are ever alike!
- Both GLOBAL and LOCAL high score lists for each difficulty level so you can compete with your friends.
- Customizable control settings so you have no excuses for lackluster performance!
- Optional sound effects and the ability to play your own music in the background.

CONTROLS:
- Onscreen arrow buttons that you can place on either side of the screen.
- A large "Jump" button. You can "double-jump" by tapping the button twice. (HINT: this ability is your lifeline!).
- Controls have customizable transparency. Want to see the whole screen? Just make them disappear.

Diaballic is both fast-paced and addictive. Games rarely last more than a few minutes, and if they do, you should ramp up the difficulty. Trust us, "Diaballic" difficulty is, well, diabolical. And don't worry, the slow-and-simple "Easy" mode will help beginners conquer the short learning curve. Happy leaping!

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/diaballic/id343761115?mt=8

Feel free to post your impressions, comments, and questions. We’re stoked to finally have an app up on the store, and we welcome your feedback!

Thanks!
Tom Mullaney
Developer, Revoc Technologies
12-19-2009, 12:02 AM
This is a fun side-scrolling, pickup and play game where you play as a little metal ball and the goal is to make it as far as you can through the platforming obstacles, while collecting various colored gems of different values to earn points. The screen automatically moves from left to right and you move the metal ball by the D-pad arrows, tap to jump, tap again while in the air to double jump. Some of the platforming obstacles you'll have to deal with are springed platforms, falling platforms, long jumps... Falling once ends the game. There are also other dangers to avoid other than falling off a platform, such as TnT and laser beams.

I'm impressed with the way the ball moves, the speed, and how responsive the controls are. The game is a decent challenge too. 4 difficulty levels to choose from (Easy, Medium, Hard, Diabalic) The speed really picks up on the harder difficulties. Online leaderboards are good.

Really liking this game so far, addicting gameplay. Pickup and play gamers should dig this one.

Some questions to the dev..
-are you planning on adding other modes? Maybe a mode where you have more lives?
-are you planning on adding background music/sounds?

12-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for your impressions, freedog!

The game is aimed at "Pickup and Play" gamers (myself included!). Games are short enough that you can play a quickie in a few moments of spare time, yet you are committed enough to let out an agonizing scream when you lose merely points from a high score. (alas, it happens...)

To respond to your questions...
Other game modes: We have considered this option but will await further feedback to figure out what people are interested in. Whether its outright level design or just adding more lives, obstacles, time-limits, etc., we'll be willing to give it a shot!

Sound: Sounds are definitely in the possible mix; background music is also a possibility, although there are a few more roadblocks up that route. While I may be able to draw/code decently enough, my musical skills are a bit more lacking. Especially in comparison with The Crystal Method track in the trailer... Nevertheless, we'll see!

Thanks again for your interest. Anyone else with any feedback at all -- please comment and let us know!
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I helped out a lot with the beta testing of this game, and I love it. It has good graphics, endless game-play, and is challenging. It is definitely one of my favorite games, and is my favorite pick up and play. Only things i can think of to improve it is adding an even harder level of difficulty, or a custom level, diabolical is getting too easy for me :P
12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi all,

A quick update as to what's going on in our world...

1. Check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diabal...3619057?ref=nf! If we get enough fans, we'll have a contest on Diaballic with awesome prizes! We'll also keep you updated with the latest information about the game.

2. We're currently finishing up our first update to be submitted in the next few days. This first update won't be huge, but it's going to add some good polish to the game. A few of the additions include...

- Sound effects
- Post-game stats
- More visual feedback from the controls
- Laser and gem generation/randomization is more effective

One last thing I'd like to address: most of our feedback has included something like this, "Whoa! This is TOUGH!".

That is true -- Diaballic is tricky at first, as it should be. However, make sure you are playing on 'Easy' mode when you start. The default it set to 'Medium' -- something that will be corrected in the next update. We recommend that you try 'Easy' first to get the hang of the controls and gameplay before moving on. Of course, if you happen to be super-dexterous with your fingers, by all means please do go for the harder levels -- good luck!

Our high-score lists are getting more competitive by the day. Don't miss out on the fun!

As usual, please feel free to post comments/questions/requests. Your feedback is most appreciated and will definitely be considered.

Thanks!

Tom Mullaney
Developer, Revoc Technologies
12-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Just took my initial run and even though I suck horribly I'm having fun so far. I do have one MAJOR request which I doubt would be too tough to implement. Please have the highscore entry name default to the last name entered. This way if me playing another 5 second game I don't have to type it in again but at the same time if I pass the device over to my wife she can clear out my name and put in her own (and now the game will default to her name).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Just took my initial run and even though I suck horribly I'm having fun so far. I do have one MAJOR request which I doubt would be too tough to implement. Please have the highscore entry name default to the last name entered. This way if me playing another 5 second game I don't have to type it in again but at the same time if I pass the device over to my wife she can clear out my name and put in her own (and now the game will default to her name).
Hey LordGek, excellent idea -- consider it done.

We'll stick that in the upcoming update! As you said, shouldn't be tough to implement at all. Thanks!

Tom
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Diaballic 1.1 Update LIVE!

Hello again,

Great news from the Diaballic team (of one ) -- Diaballic's 1.1 update is live on the App Store! I've already mentioned the features that this update adds, most notably SOUND EFFECTS, and I hope you guys will all be as excited as I am! And, of course, LordGek's suggestion has been implemented and makes submitting high scores a MUCH simpler process. Thanks for that suggestion!

Those of you who have already downloaded Diaballic, head on over to the Updates section of the store -- this update adds a nice layer of polish to the game that makes the experience that much better!

Those of you who have NOT already downloaded Diaballic -- no problem, but please take the time to check it out as it's better than ever! It's immensely addictive and great for all you 'pick-up & play' gamers (myself included!).

Download it here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/diaballic/id343761115?mt=8

Really appreciate y'all taking a look at our first game -- it's tough spreading the word about Diaballic, so we REALLY appreciate all your help on that front.

As usual, please reply with any feedback at all. Good, bad, indifferent, we'll take it all in!

Thanks guys!
Tom

Last edited by tmsquasher; 01-05-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Updated title.
01-06-2010, 01:03 AM
I just started playing this game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The screenshots don't give the game much justice unfortunately, because it's fun as hell.

The game constantly scrolls to the side similar to Canabalt, but you can move left and right including jumping. The controls are so damn good. You'll never get frustrated by over shooting a jump on a narrow platform or from hitting TNT or a laser beam. You'll just keep hitting replay several times before you're done, similar to doodle jump.

Also, the gems scattered throughout the level add to your score, and usually make you take an added risk while playing.

I swear you'll be impressed by how fun Diaballic is. I sure was.

As for some changes:

I think sticking to one difficulty would be best, to keep the high score leaderboards together.

A little background music would be great, as well as a more interesting background instead of still panels ( nothing too fancy that would distract the player though ).

back
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat Outta Hell View Post
I just started playing this game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The screenshots don't give the game much justice unfortunately, because it's fun as hell.

The game constantly scrolls to the side similar to Canabalt, but you can move left and right including jumping. The controls are so damn good. You'll never get frustrated by over shooting a jump on a narrow platform or from hitting TNT or a laser beam. You'll just keep hitting replay several times before you're done, similar to doodle jump.

Also, the gems scattered throughout the level add to your score, and usually make you take an added risk while playing.

I swear you'll be impressed by how fun Diaballic is. I sure was.

As for some changes:

I think sticking to one difficulty would be best, to keep the high score leaderboards together.

A little background music would be great, as well as a more interesting background instead of still panels ( nothing too fancy that would distract the player though ).
I'm really liking the new subtle sounds and the fact that it remembers the last name input. These minor tweaks mean a lot, at least to me.

Keep the multiple difficulty levels each with their own score board, please! I'm not getting what would be gained from taking a step back in this regard, especially, as the dev commented himself, you really do need to start out on Easy to get a grip on this game. If there were to be one difficulty wouldn't it have to default to the Easy side of things, and if that is the case I think the game wouldn't be as challenging for the experienced players. Three difficulties, to me, is perfect, especially when the scores are kept separately. My way of looking at it is as simple as:

Easy: Training and maybe all the real casual gamer wants (Grandma).
Medium: This is the real game.
Hard: Here is where the experts can go to show off their skills or maybe even the average players just looking for a more intense and quick experience.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews