★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Smack Boxing 1.3 Update

01-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Smack Boxing 1.3 Update

See: Prior Forum

App Store Link

"What's new-

Features
------
Another character: Peter Pegger the pirate captain
Calibration of accelerometer now possible

Improvements
------
Player cannot move now while punching (cheat fix)
Player cannot punch before round has started (cheat fix)
Possible to press block while punch is still animating. Blocks right after punch is done
Uppercut hits earlier in its animation
Back button for character selection screen
Fading between screens

Bugfixes
------
Order of animation was wrong for some punch animations"

Plays better now imo. The punches have been adjusted so they do actually look like they are hitting the opponent more now (although it still looks like you are punching your opponent in the nuts sometimes!).

I also like the new pirate character. VERY good

However, there is a part of the graphics that really irritates me. When you win, your character holds up his arms in victory like this-

I personally thing his arms look distorted and wrong. Here is a mock up I have done to show what I think they should be like-

I would like to hear from the developer (Thomas Lund) to see what they think please.

[EDIT] I HAVE CLOSED THIS THREAD NOW AS AN UPDATE WITH CAREER MODE IS DUE

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 01-20-2009 at 02:39 AM.
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
The appvee reviewer really didn't care for this game, and he pretty much dissauded me from picking it up. Was he wrong?

01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I'd say for 1.19 it's a bit of fun, but there's not much to it until the tournament mode gets added (which the developer has promised for a future update). Plus there is my point above about your characters victory graphics. Then there is the punch sound effect which sounds more like a shotgun. It is quite good fun, but I am finding it a little easy. The characters you fight against all look great, although their doesn't seem to be any variation in individual strategies.

Here's an early vid of the game-

Youtube link | Pop Up

Bare in mind it's cheap. If you like the look of it, then go for it, and look forward to the tournament mode. But just be aware of it's negative points I mentioned (of course that's just my own opinion).

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 01-15-2009 at 08:40 AM.
01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Send a message via MSN to Thomas Lund Send a message via Yahoo to Thomas Lund Send a message via Skype™ to Thomas Lund
Hey hey!!

Will reply more in depth later! (Packing up to go home from work, and have to fetch the kids).

Will send the gfx feedback over to Magnus who does the gfx. Its all 3d modelled and then rendered out with a cartoon shader, so might be some vertex that bend wrong.

Anyways - quick status now is that we just a few days ago completed a totally rewritten AI with easy, medium, hard and insane levels and where the differences between the enemy players is more pronounced. I really think its a cool AI now.

The last (at least for the next update) enemies are also done - wont say much, but the end boss is a bad ass guy that will challenge most of you.

So left is to code the career mode code. We have decided on the design, so its more or less down to coding it now. Expected release is still this month. Give and take a little of February if Apple is slow releasing the updates or if we run into issues.

So give it a spin! And we fulfill our promises - naturally!

Thomas Hentschel Lund - Full Control ApS
ElectroCute, Smack Boxing, TouchWars, Monster Ball, Smack Hockey, Tactical Soldier, Frontline Tactics, Space Hulk
01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey there Thomas!
Thanks for the response. It's nice to know you will be adding difficulty levels. As you can see from the piccy above (KO in the first round with almost full health), I keep thrashing the opponents and it is getting less fun without a challenge.
So it is a career mode you are adding, not a tournament mode? That sounds interesting.

Have you thought about changing the punch sound effect at all, making it more subtle? It doesn't sound like a punch at all imo.

Looking forward to the future update. I know this game will get better.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 01-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Send a message via MSN to Thomas Lund Send a message via Yahoo to Thomas Lund Send a message via Skype™ to Thomas Lund
Hi again

We have been talking career/tournament mode the last week, and also what is possible from a fun basis. Especially now with the added difficulty levels on the AI.

Without going into much detail (because they are not implemented yet, and if its not fun we will redesign it - so no reason to promise something that might change), we are aiming for something similar to Guitar Hero 3. Progression through opponents that get harder and harder within an overall difficulty. Unlocking new enemies and harder AI as you go.

For now thats our definition of "career mode".

Rewamping sound effects will also happen. I personally like the "smack" sound as it fits the name (that was the idea), but your input is great and we will discuss it. Promise you that much at least!

Also - it might be that AppVee didnt like it. But Smack Boxing actually won an award last week - we won the iPhone Footprint Excellence award together with 9 other games!! So it might be that AppVee didnt like it, but others do!

http://www.iphonefootprint.com/iphon...llence-awards/

From reviews in general it seems it either a love/hate thing. Some hate it because they (my guess) think its a boxing simulator - or not "get" the humor in it. And others simply love it and give it 5 star reviews.

In general I would say - if you dont expect a simulator and you like the YouTube video looks fun to you - then go for it! If not, then you have Iron Fist that might be more you. It was not fun enough for me, but they have done a great work on it. Its just something completely different than Smack Boxing.

So - as usual I want to end up with the "we listen! and we want to hear your voice". So if there are things you like/dislike/are missing, then give us a shout. E.g. what to do after career mode? Not sure about that - so give us your input!!

And thanks for the continued support

/Thomas

ElectroCute, Smack Boxing, TouchWars, Monster Ball, Smack Hockey, Tactical Soldier, Frontline Tactics, Space Hulk
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lund View Post
In general I would say - if you dont expect a simulator and you like the YouTube video looks fun to you - then go for it! If not, then you have Iron Fist that might be more you. It was not fun enough for me, but they have done a great work on it. Its just something completely different than Smack Boxing.
Wise words. Completely agree.

Thank you for looking into the sound effect. You say it sounds like a smack, and if I thought it sounded like a smack I'd be very happy. Unfortunately, I have tried playing with and without headphones, and with the headphones it actually sounds like a cannon to me. Imagine a pirate game with two ships having a battle and that sound would fit right in. I'm all for having a good smack sound- it's just I don't think this is it. Also, I think normal punches shouldn't sound as loud as the uppercuts or hooks (at the moment, all punch types use the same sound effect). That would give the player more satisfaction when an uppercut or hook connects. What do you reckon?
01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah - definitely would like to have different sounds for the different punches!

In general you might (or might not) have noticed the subtle GUI fluff we started to put in too - in general making a nicer experience out of the game. Fading between screens, feedback "glow" when pressing the buttons and similar, vibrations, calibration. Polish basically :-)

So sound definitely needs to get up there too as its very important also. Cant promise anything before career mode, but lets see!!!

01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Hehe! Yes, I noticed the 'fluff'! A lot better. I like the calibration option. Nice.

Yes, sound is crucial in a boxing game I feel. Thanks for listening to my feedback.
01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Hey, hey!
Regarding the win animation, yeah. I definitely agree. Going to try getting the time to do something about that for the next update. (no promise though, it will get fixed eventually, but there's a LOT of work going into the next update with the career mode so I'm kept pretty busy )