★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Does OF, Plus+, Agon, etc affect what games you buy?

12-19-2009, 06:14 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,273
Does OF, Plus+, Agon, etc affect what games you buy?

I haven't noticed a thread like this before, and search of course brought up nothing, so apologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

So I'm at a point now where I won't give the time of day to most games if they don't have some sort of social network implemented. I didn't want it to turn out this way, but I'm addicted now. It started with Xbox Live. I loved how they had achievements, and it gave me something extra to shoot for when I had beaten a game to death. I'm not exactly an "achievement whore" with it, like I wouldn't run out and rent Avatar so I could hit punch 10 times and unlock 1000 points, but for the games that I did buy I wanted every single point out of them. It's mostly an OCD thing, I think.

Well now, this same type thing has invaded my iDevice gaming. It started out innocently enough with Plus+. Skee-Ball was my gateway drug. I had owned a few games with Plus+ prior to this one, but had never bothered with it. But the achievements in Skee-Ball were infectious, and I found myself going back to my other Plus+ games to check them out. Then I was buying games JUST because they had Plus+. Now it's gotten about 100x worse because I've grown extremely fond of OpenFeint, which is in a TON of games.

I guess my bottom line is this. If the game isn't some triple A title, or something I've really been waiting for, I'm probably not going to bother with it if it doesn't have some sort of social network attached to it. There will be exceptions, but for the most part, this is true. Even with how many $1 or free games there are that look like they might be worth a download, I just don't have the time if it doesn't give me points to earn or achievements to work for.

Just curious if anyone else has opinions on this matter (Zincous I'm sure you do!). I know there's some of you that absolutely despise all these social network systems, and I totally understand that. Please weigh in with those comments as well. I personally love it, and I've really discovered some hidden gems because I've tried something just because it had OF or Plus+ that I might not have tried before. But at the same time, I'm getting overwhelmed trying to keep up with all the new games coming out with these features. I'm also curious if any developers read this thread to get your comments on this matter, too.

Thoughts?

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
12-19-2009, 06:45 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,208
I used to like OF, but it became too overwhelming. Every other game now has it and it's hard to keep up. Therefore, having it would not affect my decision of buying it. However, I loooove Plus+. It definately convinced me to buy certain games. Plus, I like the UI of it much better than OF, scoreloop, or other networking things.

Join the Club: http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=132

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,373
It doesn't necessarily dictate my purchase. If a game is solid after all the research/hands-on/screens/videos/previews/reviews I see. That ultimately is how my decision is made.


I will note that when I see a Plus+ or OpenFeint icon on a game, or a post stating "enabled" I cant help but want to check it out to see how solid the game is/might be. The majority of games I feel are not worth the purchase though, so I see those games with "enabled" networks stamped on them as merely a tool for better marketing to a certain degree.

So Yes seeing them intrigues me but No it isn't how I make my decision in purchasing a game. I see having Plus+, OpenFeint, and Agon as a plus for sure though.

Game Center: Diligence
12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
Haha yeah I feel the same way

I went through a stage where I bought every single OF game that had achievements. Currently, I'm just getting the free OF game right now unless the game with Of is actually good or has a lot of points or something.

I hate getting the OF games and then realizing they only have like 3 achievements or are just crappy games. And I have like 45,000 OF points so I think it's time to cool off
12-19-2009, 07:55 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
I used to like OF, but it became too overwhelming. Every other game now has it and it's hard to keep up. Therefore, having it would not affect my decision of buying it. However, I loooove Plus+. It definately convinced me to buy certain games. Plus, I like the UI of it much better than OF, scoreloop, or other networking things.

Join the Club: http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=132
Hey thanks for the link to the group, I hadn't seen it before. And I previously felt just about like you. I didn't like OF. I tried it out when it was new, and thought it was ugly and sucked. Then when I got into Plus+, it seemed so much better. Also, it bugs me how there's not really any quality control over the achievements in OF. It seemed like all the Plus+ games were good quality games, with well thought out achievments. But since my first foray into OF, it's grown and improved a lot. Now, I feel it's on par with Plus+. It still bugs me when there's crappy achievements, but there are a lot of developers that use OF and utilize it well. But yeah, it is overwhelming.

@Zincous: Yeah, you are like Mr. OpenFeint to me. I love having you on my friends list, cause if I feel like getting a new OF game then all I have to do is look through your list of games played for ones I don't have. I don't even need that thread you made! But still I'm wondering if this madness will ever end for me, or if I'm doomed to be a life long addict. And with Agon and Scoreloop becoming more prominent, how many more am I going to have to keep up with?!

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
12-19-2009, 08:03 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post

@Zincous: Yeah, you are like Mr. OpenFeint to me. I love having you on my friends list, cause if I feel like getting a new OF game then all I have to do is look through your list of games played for ones I don't have. I don't even need that thread you made! But still I'm wondering if this madness will ever end for me, or if I'm doomed to be a life long addict. And with Agon and Scoreloop becoming more prominent, how many more am I going to have to keep up with?!
Lol yeah. Openfeint.com just improved a whole lot, and now lists all the games with OF on their site, and an easy way to tel if the game has achievements or not etc.. so I use that now.

I am also staying away from Agon and Scoreloop. I'm just not interested in them. Gameloft Live is another one I haven't gotten into for achievements, I just like their games.
12-19-2009, 08:12 PM
#7
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,373
+1 to that Zincous. I don't even know of an AGON enabled game nor scoreloop. I tend to stick with Plus+ and OpenFeint.


My only two gripes about OpenFeint that you may be able to help me with are:


There are games that I have deleted that still show up on my OpenFeint acct that I don't want there (i.e. my brute light) under my profile. I like to have everything organized. (I guess same goes with Plus+ games on this.)


I have tried several times to link my Facebook picture and it wont let me. I have tried to logout and login, refresh, tried OpenFeint's website to maybe try to manage account, etc. for both of these issues.


Any suggestions?

Game Center: Diligence
12-19-2009, 08:15 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
+1 to that Zincous. I don't even know of an AGON enabled game nor scoreloop. I tend to stick with Plus+ and OpenFeint.


My only two gripes about OpenFeint that you may be able to help me with are:


There are games that I have deleted that still show up on my OpenFeint acct that I don't want there (i.e. my brute light) under my profile. I like to have everything organized. (I guess same goes with Plus+ games on this.)


I have tried several times to link my Facebook picture and it wont let me. I have tried to logout and login, refresh, tried OF website to maybe try to manage account, etc. for both of these issues.


Any suggestions?
The first thing, there's nothing you can do about removing those games. I want the same feature, but it's just not available (yet?).

And on the second thing, do you have any games witht he newest OF? 2.3+

In the newer updates to openfeint you can change/upoad any pictures, not just having to sync with Facebook.

My issue with OF is that you have to load groups of games by 10's to see peoples lists. Very annoying.
12-19-2009, 08:33 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
The first thing, there's nothing you can do about removing those games. I want the same feature, but it's just not available (yet?).

And on the second thing, do you have any games witht he newest OF? 2.3+

In the newer updates to openfeint you can change/upoad any pictures, not just having to sync with Facebook.

My issue with OF is that you have to load groups of games by 10's to see peoples lists. Very annoying.
Thanks for the fast response.

Yeah I hope that becomes available because I'm big on manging and organization of games. The loading is definitely something that needs tweaked.

I don't have Wifi on my iTouch where I am at right now but the latest Openfeint enabled games that were recently updated that I own are Stair Dismount and Chronicle Defenders. Do any of those have the latest version?

I'm patiently waiting for The Battle For Wesnoth update. I believe Kyle Poole Said it will offer OpenFeint integration iirc.

Game Center: Diligence
12-20-2009, 11:37 AM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
Lol yeah. Openfeint.com just improved a whole lot, and now lists all the games with OF on their site, and an easy way to tel if the game has achievements or not etc.. so I use that now.

I am also staying away from Agon and Scoreloop. I'm just not interested in them. Gameloft Live is another one I haven't gotten into for achievements, I just like their games.
Oh, you're right. The website is quite nice. I had never even bothered checking it out before, thanks! And oh crap, I forgot about Gameloft Live. Dammit, it's happening with that one now too. EWJ got me started on those achievements. Now, I've found myself purchasing Real Soccer 10 because it was on sale for $1 and has achievements. And I hate soccer!! What have I become?? Ah well...

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA