★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

doom res or doom classic

View Poll Results: doom res vs doom classic
doom res 9 52.94%
doom classic 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
12-21-2009, 02:43 PM
doom res or doom classic

which do you think is better since they are on sale right now?

want to play COD? Can't find people? Join us at Cod Chat and start popping some zombie heads
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagictouch View Post
which do you think is better since they are on sale right now?
Depends on what you want. Doom classic is well a classic. It is a perfect clone of the original and you can customize the controls and put them whereever you want. However, if you like crisp graphics, this game is obvously not the one for you.

Doom res has great graphics and fast enough gameplay, however it is on rails and that pisses a lot of people off. I don't really mind rails, Iwish it wasn't but it is okay. zEither one is a good buy on this sale.

Openfeint/Plus+/Gameloft Live: craighauser
Join T.A.A.P To Help End Piracy

12-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Tough choice - but since I've got a handful of systems to play Doom on (GBA, Genesis, PC) and only one that plays Doom: Resurrection, I voted for that.

In the long run, Doom Classic is more replayable IMHO, but I'm not so thrilled with the onscreen controls. (And Doom: Res is really good!)

Wolf 3D RPG is also a buck right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
You want both. Really, both are awesome. Doom Res is an on rails shooter in the setting of Doom 3. It's definetly the best on rails shooter on the App Store, and graphics to match. The graphics are amazing, almost on par with games like COD: Zombies, but it runs smoothly on all systems, even the 1g.

Doom Classic is just Doom. If you've ever played Doom 1 or 2, you know what this is. The graphics have been updated slightly to where it's noticeable but not completely different. The controls feel good and it has local only multiplayer, which has gotten some criticism.

You just need to get both. It's really hard for me to pick one, but if I did have to pick just one it'd have to be Resurrection. It's just something you can't get on any other platform and was built from the ground up for the iPhone. To add to that, Doom Classic can be played on any system that can run homebrew, like the DS, PSP, and even GBA. There's also a version on Cydia of the game, but it has TERRIBLE controls. If you don't mind paying for the slight updates, go ahead, but the better buy here is Resurrection.
12-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Doom classic. Both are outstanding. But doom classic, good as it is now, is going to be amazing. With user generated levels, doom II, and hopefully final doom levels,...it's just more game.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Doom Classic!
12-21-2009, 03:42 PM
res. if you've played wolf 3d then you've pretty much played all that's offered in doom classic..

Twitter: @back2this
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
res. if you've played wolf 3d then you've pretty much played all that's offered in doom classic..
Take that back!!!! Doom has upstairs and down

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
i'm still skeptical on the whole on rails thing what does that mean exactly i just have a general idea

want to play COD? Can't find people? Join us at Cod Chat and start popping some zombie heads
12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagictouch View Post
i'm still skeptical on the whole on rails thing what does that mean exactly i just have a general idea
That means the game and storyline are pre-scripted. You use tilt controls to aim/move the crosshair, and tap the various buttons to dodge/fire/etc.

Think of it more like Doom 3 Meets Time Crisis 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!