★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Staunch Defense is a tower defense game with plenty of depth and strategy. Featuring 20 different towers, 6 buildings such as cottages and walls and a large number of technologies there are many ways you can approach each map. Each of the 24 maps has its own selection from the large variety of different enemies and thus requires its own strategy.

Features:
- 20 different towers

- 6 different buildings

- 27 different maps

- 60+ technologies

- other features such as the Town Hall, Tavern, ect

Devilishly Good's comments:

there's also a Lite to try:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/staunch-defense-lite/id346418800?mt=8
12-21-2009, 11:17 PM
look interested.

12-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenPallard View Post
look interested.
Why, who's coming?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Why, who's coming?
LOL. Good one.
12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
I just tried the lite out and I was surprised at how much depth there is in Staunch Defense. It really feels more like a RTS game to me, and plays a bit like one too. There are four resources you have to manage, towers you build for defense, buildings which can get you resources or upgrades, and more. There's a large amount of available towers (20) but to use them you have to upgrade. Not to mention all of the buildings and the ton of upgrades. The game has simple graphics which can be a no factor for some people, however I find that simple art is better than having very complex art.

12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Game Impressions

I enjoyed the lite. I think I'll get the full version.

The impressions I got from the lite version (The lite has 6 maps which includes one tutorial map, 3 playable maps and 2 maps to unlock) :

- I like the look of it, the retro-esque graphics style.

- There looks to be a good variety of attack types. The maps seems to have lots of strategic possibilities.

- As said, resources to manage (build cottages for gold, mines for stone, etc), research for upgrades (e.g. adding firepower or range to your towers). I like how you can take your time setting up your defense before you press the go button for the wave to start. You can do stuff doing the attack wave too but that seems a bit difficult for me, so I'm taking the more turn based route.

- it's interesting you need to buy the piece of land you want to build stuff on. The map is divided into pieces of land which have variable costs, seems based on resources, positions and such.

- I found the controls to be ok. Objects on the map are small, but not so small that you can't make out what they are. I didn't have difficulty placing things where I want them. It's tap and tap again to confirm. Menu buttons are a good size.

- I like the sound effects and background music. Nothing annoying. You can play your own tunes in the lite version, I assume the same for the full.

A small oops --
They seemed to have missed out a letter in their title in the opening screen of the lite version (don't know if it's there in the full).
12-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
They seemed to have missed out a letter in their title in the opening screen of the lite version (don't know if it's there in the full).
Yeah I noticed that too, and it's the same in Cartoon Wars - Gunner (it says Catoon Wars lol).

I just bought the full version and I'll post some impressions in a bit.

12-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Game Impressions

The full version is great fun, and has a whole lot more to offer than the lite. There are a ton more maps, and you have access to all four types of towers. The stone towers are cause normal damage, fire towers pierce armor and amplify stone, lightning towers are slower but have long range and can stun, and finally plant towers can slow enemies with mediocre damage. Along with those 4 tower types there are 6 different buildings you can place. The cottage generates gold, the mining shed generates resources (placed on a resource patch), the fire pit and engineering hut boosts all towers in an area, and the stone/vine walls can block the road (the vine wall is weaker, but it regenerates). From the village menu you can upgrade your four tower labs to unlock new towers, and you can also purchase a few other buildings. There's a market that allows you to trade resources, a tavern that allows you to view and reroll upcoming waves, a town hall which allows you special abilities every few turns, and the research shed which allows you to buy technologies for various buildings.

As you could imagine, there are numerous strategies at your disposal as to how you are going to defend against each wave. The game offers a lot of content for the low price of $1.99 and I highly recommend it.

EDIT: I also just realized you can zoom in and out of the map.

Last edited by Seishu; 12-22-2009 at 02:04 PM.
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the comments guys I do appreciate your posts.

I think I should mention, in the lite versions, it isn't very clear, but you can scroll up when you are choosing what map to play and there are two more maps. I will have to make this more clear in an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
A small oops --
Opps, That's a bit embarrassing I will have to fix that in the first update.
12-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvert View Post
Thanks for the comments guys I do appreciate your posts.

I think I should mention, in the lite versions, it isn't very clear, but you can scroll up when you are choosing what map to play and there are two more maps. I will have to make this more clear in an update.
Oh I see. That makes more than a fair bit to play on the lite. Maybe it needs an arrow to show that you have more maps there.