★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: SouthPeak
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 44.5 MB
  • Version: 1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: "8.5/10...The overall integration of science and gaming is awesome." - KokuGamer Review

Set in the laboratory of world-renowned rat-scientist Paradox, Schrodinger's Rat combines an experiment in quantum physics with labyrinth-like maze challenges. Working through all the elements of the periodic table, Paradox must discover the ideal path for rescuing all of the rats that have given their lives to science throughout time.

>> 87 unique mazes + 30 additional downloadable mazes = 117 total challenges

>> Confront a wide variety of maze components, both friends & foes, including anti-gravity Quantum Fur Balls, space-shifting Transportals, Gamma Quarks, life-saving Mercury Pools!

>> Establish your own laboratory identity for sharing your progress on Twitter and Facebook

>> Worldwide leaderboards track your laboratory progress against other labs

>> Original soundtrack by Dr. Bartolomeo Cristofori and his 8-bit Calliope Device

See the game trailer and learn more at www.SchrodingersRat.com

Schrodingers Rat is a whimsical tribute to the real-world thought experiment Schrodingers Cat first introduced by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935. In it, Schrodinger illustrated the issues of quantum mechanics (according to the Copenhagen interpretation) when applied to everyday objects. Using this as the premise, Schrodingers Rat introduces concepts of the Periodic Table and all its Elements as a forum for exploring atomic science.

Jason Franzen of FORMation / www.FORMationAlliance.com

SouthPeak Games / www.SouthPeakGames.com

goiMot's comments:

12-23-2009, 09:53 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
I have been playing this one for 20 minutes now and I´m more than happy with it.
U have to save rats in accordance with the atomic weight of each element of the periodic table.Every time the chalk ball enters the maze is very important to study the maze (it has mad fur balls that can kill the chalk ball and water drops that make it move slower) and try to find the route to escape.
There are transportals, mercury pools and lead shields that can be used as protection against the fur balls.
The graphics are very good and the gameplay is very well elaborate.
I think this game is worth more than $.99 for sure.
Ill give more impressions later.

12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your impressions and hope to hear more about it.

I checked out the website and their video when it just came out. I just couldn't understand what was going on.
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
I too would like some more information since I seem a bit clueless as to the object of the game.
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
I checked out the website and their video when it just came out. I just couldn't understand what was going on.
Same here, I had no idea what the game is about even after watching the vid. More impressions would be nice.
12-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Some Notes From the Developer / FORMation

Hello all! I am the developer/designer of Schrodinger's Rat and am happy to try to answer some questions - as well as get your feedback on the game. Feel free to let me know what I can help explain...

The game is a labyrinth style gameplay with 117 total mazes to navigate. The setting for the game is a laboratory where the mazes correspond to each element of the Periodic Table. Completing each level "scores" by reanimating a number of rats that proportional to the atomic weight of the element. This is a play on Quantum Physics - all in good fun.

Attached are 3 files form the game showing the back story...

I agree that my first trailer video is a bit vague and obtuse, so I should offer a better introduction to the game. I will work on that. Feel free to ask me anything or give any suggestions - we want to make this game as fun as possible!

Jason F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rat Story 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	12593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rat Story 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	12594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rat Story 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	12595  

12-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Appreciate you popping in here and providing a backstory, Popzen.

I'm fascinated by quantum theory but I'm layman in the details about it, which was why the title caught my eye.

With the story, it is easier to make out what's going on in the video. The other thing about the video is that it seems a bit blurry due to the shaking effect added to make this look like something played from a film reel. I hope the game itself is not like this when I'm playing it, I will feel ill if the game has this slight jerking effect throughout.
12-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Game Impressions

It was only 99c, so I got it. I do like these maze games anyway.

Played a few of the early levels (up to Carbon) and peeked at the higher element levels.

The core bit of the game involves getting into a maze and then exiting it. You tilt the device to move your little chalk ball throught the maze. The game is timed -- in the form of a Geiger counter which goes to red and that would mean the end of your current chalk ball.

When you exit a maze, the number of rats rescued is the score.

There is no tutorial level, however there is a very detailed instructional manual in the game explaining all the game features, and various maze hazards (mercury pools, fatal furballs, water droplets, portals etc etc).

The levels are presented in the form of a periodic table. You can play the levels in any order you wish. You can buy an additional 30 levels through in-app purchase. (You can also buy more chalk spheres but I'm not sure why yet, because you seem to start off with quite a lot -- though I didn't manage to count how many.). As most of you might know, the elements are also classed into sets -- nobel gases, non metals, metals, etc, and so the periodic table in this game is colored in same way that you might have seen in chemistry class. If you complete all the mazes in a set, you can earn some bonuses like extra chalk balls, shields, etc.

To my relief, the game is clear and unlike in the video where it is blurry.

I'm not thrilled about the tilt controls. The chalk ball feels a little overly 'light' and floaty. I'm not good with tilts and prefer button controls. (Would be possible to implement that option?)

The menu and console seems impressive but the maze itself seems a bit plain and flat. Even the objects in the maze seem not very solid, kinda just flat spots and I guess I prefer them to be more solid and dynamic in appearance.

Maze fans who don't mind tilt controls may like this.

Other suggestions:

If possible, would be good to have a iite version with a few maze levels.
12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Better Game Trailer Video

Here is a link to the actual trailer video - the video above was a preliminary draft which contained the jerkiness that does not appear in the game.

12-24-2009, 07:57 PM
This video that you just posted in your link is definitely much better.