★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Arvale: Short Tales is our highly acclaimed, lighter Role Playing Game with Varju The Druid.

Short Tales lets you leisurely explore 30 nice locations with
just the right amount of maps, characters, and menacing
(but not TOO menacing!) monsters.

Finalist for the Smartphone ane Pocket PC Awards
Best Role Playing Game of 2007!

Features:
Explore with a light, Open ended, Quest-style gameplay allowing for more of freedom

Engage lightly in hundreds of enemies using the Brand New time-based battle engine, which allows for more strategy and interaction

Relax with the Simplified Statistics System that keeps you more focused on playing and less worried about counting

Navigate mysterious territory lightly with the Improved Map feature

Encounter lightly with different Day and Night cycles which affect your Quests

Interact lightly with NPC's that react to you differently depending on your character

Travel lightly the nice areas of Arvale visiting different locales including forests, deserts, mountains, dungeons, swamps, battlefields, and many more

View Radiant, Breathtaking Illustrations and Graphical Elements

Listen to a spectacular Dynamic Musical Score which follows your actions through the game using over 90 minutes of melodies in a total of 40 Soundtracks

Experience lightly different atmospheres with weather effects like rain, fog, and snow

Feel the ambience lightly with over 130 environmental sound effects

Laugh along lightly with the hilarious story-telling and the witty dialogues that have become a signature of the Arvale series
12-22-2009, 02:46 AM
TBftw!

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Is this related to the other arvale games?
Do we need to play them in order?
12-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klako View Post
Is this related to the other arvale games?
Do we need to play them in order?

http://jaybot7.com/blog/arvale-short...ne-almost-done

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I can't get past the freaking description of the game xD, they use the word "lightly" waaaaaaaay too many times.

No Sig
12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutmike View Post
I can't get past the freaking description of the game xD, they use the word "lightly" waaaaaaaay too many times.
I think they were trying to make a point, but...POINT TAKEN!

Licensed and Certified Legacy User
12-29-2009, 10:32 PM
@klako nah, you can play them in any order.

@falloutmike+sunrise moon Lol When I put those 'lightly' descriptions in it was kindof a joke at the time when we released the game for windows mobile in the middle of a large casual game push; it convinced the bosses at the time that it was casual enough for the game to be released... somehow it stuck
01-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Is anyone playing this?

I'm completely stuck. I've managed the first part of the main quest, but now I have a number of sidequests, none of which I can progress with.

- can't find shears to cut the ice herbs
- can't find a warrior guy to ask about the shield
- can't find a way to make a cold container (I have a pot) for the desert herbs

I also think my character is nerfed: equipment maxes out pretty early, but you keep levelling, and monsters get harder. You can skip outdoor battles but you can't skip dungeon ones, so I'm probably screwed. Plus you level *really quickly and easily.

iOS RPG list - http://www.rpg-site.com
Twitter - @rpg_site
01-03-2010, 09:50 AM
@istara

- you'll get some broken shears from the old lady on the left side of the town once you get the shield for her (which you just take to the blacksmith to fix)

-the warrior guy is in the house on the very north-east part of town, he originally gives you a quest to deliver something in the piriklos mountains, when you come back to him, there is a chest with a shield handle you can use to find the other half of the shield

-once you have the shears, you can get the ice herbs from the snowfields and get your frosty beer from the pub. you get to keep the frosty cup, which you can use to get the desert herbs.

If I recall, the monsters do stay around your level (except bosses), but if you have the maxed out weapon, armor, and container, you shouldn't have too much difficulty going through the dungeons. The game can be finished around XP Lvl 21.
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybot View Post
@istara

- you'll get some broken shears from the old lady on the left side of the town once you get the shield for her (which you just take to the blacksmith to fix)

-the warrior guy is in the house on the very north-east part of town, he originally gives you a quest to deliver something in the piriklos mountains, when you come back to him, there is a chest with a shield handle you can use to find the other half of the shield

-once you have the shears, you can get the ice herbs from the snowfields and get your frosty beer from the pub. you get to keep the frosty cup, which you can use to get the desert herbs.

If I recall, the monsters do stay around your level (except bosses), but if you have the maxed out weapon, armor, and container, you shouldn't have too much difficulty going through the dungeons. The game can be finished around XP Lvl 21.
Hi Jaybot. Thanks so much for that. I'm now stuck again - on the Lifestone/wolf quest. Just got the cat form but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm struggling to like this game as much as the other Arvales. There is so much wandering around, with no teleports, and insanely high monster-encounter frequency, which really drags things slower. It's several seconds just to quit an attack.

I'm Level 31 *just from wandering around* and I think I'm going to have to start over, because as I mentioned I can't kill dungeon monsters any more, since my weapon and armour maxed out levels and levels ago.

Can I make the follow suggestions for how this game could be improved?

1. A teleport system for visited locations (maybe this comes later? I don't know, but if so it needs to come earlier)
2. Overall world mapping for visited locations. I ended up making a pen and paper map, but it took ages. Or at least put a detailed map on the official website
3. Some kind of Level Cap, *or* more armour/weapons, *or* a damage cap for high level dungeon monsters
4. Some way to switch outdoor roaming monster encounters off. Maybe an Amulet that you can't buy until Level 20 that costs loads of gold

I also find the outdoors quite a pain in terms of trees. There are some scrubby bits of bush that you can't walk through, even though it looks like there's space, and others that seem quite solid but you can pass them. I don't know if it's intentional but I don't remember Arvale being this frustrating to navigate.

I do like the game - I'm not trying to be negative - the humour is great, the shape-changing puzzles are really ingenious, but I'm finding it really hard graft overall. And given the endless references to "light" and "lighter" in the descriptions, it's a bit unsettling

iOS RPG list - http://www.rpg-site.com
Twitter - @rpg_site