★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Special Weekend Offer - FREE Download for Limited Time!

Are You The World's Greatest Pinball Wizard? Hah!
Designed by Chicago pinball designer John A. Popadiuk, Jr., this retro game app captures the arcade essence, experience and 1970's pinball feel right on your iPhone, iPad or iPod.

Pinball Wizard! is the first customizable American-style pinball machine for the iPhone that has real playing pinball physics, bumpers, kickers, flippers, lights, bells and realistic game parts! Even tilt! Watch the digit counters fall as you go back to the arcade and get your flipper fingers tapping to become the pin wizard of the entire earth!

The pinball designer has packed gorgeous art, flipper flash, arcade ambiance and wild pinball action into an easy to play pinball game! Go into Design Mode to change the basic game pop bumpers anyway you want. Save it, and then start playing your own design! There is no other app like this.

Players Love Pinball Wizard!
the game includes everything...bumpers...kickers,
and even offers tilt.... - Macnn.com

a real throwback to 1970s pinball
- The Portable Gamer

its just a lot of fun....amazing! - Daily App Show

This is the real deal....It's a real pinball designed
by a real pinball guy - Andy, Chicago

If you have an iPhone, this is worth checking out
- ArcadeHeroes.com

create your own pinball layouts - Game App Show

Pinball Features Include
Arcade like pinball controls and playfield features
Dazzling play, real bounce and lots of game flash
2 player controlled rubber ringed flipper bats
Top to bottom real pinball action and physics
1970s style score real display and ball bonus
Authentic cabinet bells, chimes and mechanical sounds
3 balls per game for wild pinball action
Spring plunger and disappearing wire ball launcher
High Score boards for all local and Global wizards!
Facebook connect to share your scores with friends
Design Mode for easy pinball machine re-designing
Created by a real pinball designer for true playability!
Selectable arcade sounds and even a TILT feature!

Pinball Wizard comes with basic player rules and a web link to the OFFICIAL Pinball Wizard Club site for tips + tricks, pinball ware, tournament info and an inside look into the design of Pinball Maker and Pinball Kids our newest pinball games coming in 2010!

JOIN The Pinball Community at Zidware.com!
12-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Did anyone try this? Im slightly interested, because I love pinball games. But after buying Jungle Style Pinball, which I obviously still play, I would like to know how this one plays (smooth?) and how fine tuning the positions do work.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

12-23-2009, 05:02 AM
I don't know how I missed this before, but I'll pick it up and report back what it's like.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
12-23-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm a big pinball fan but can't handle disappointment, waiting for a review.

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
12-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Did I hear the word pinball? Downloading...

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
12-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Wow, that didn't take long. Let's just say I was better off before when I had missed this thread.

I definitely can't recommend this game in any way, shape, or form. First of all, the physics are just terrible. The ball stutters and actually teleports around the table frequently. When it's not stuttering it's acting oddly when engaging with the objects. The flippers are jerky and don't respond that well to taps, which is frustrating.

The graphics are pretty poor. It looks halfway decent from screenshots, but the ball has no visible motion to it, so it just looks like a paper cut-out floating around the table. The table itself is colorful and ok looking, but there's practically no animations of any kind. The 3 bumpers don't react at all when you hit them, and even any of the lights that get lit up are dull and not particularly eye catching. Everything is pretty lifeless.

The gimmick of this game is the supposed customization of the table. This consists of being able to move the 3 bumpers to wherever you like. That's it. There is not one other single change you can make. I tried a couple different variations, but wasn't able to come up with anything that dramatically altered the dull gameplay. Naturally, that boredom led me to use the three bumpers to clog all the outlanes:

This led to me maxing out the machine at 1,999,900. Seriously? You're going to have a pinball machine max out at 2 million? Apparently a couple other people got the same idea by the looks of the leaderboards:

The game has this online leaderboard and you can post scores to facebook. I didn't bother. There aren't any other options in the game except to disable sounds, which in keeping with this game's theme of failing, didn't disable the sounds. Once you start playing the game, there's no way to back out to the main menu to check scores or design more fabulous original levels. You have to exit the entire app and re-enter, which is just another irritating slap in the face.

Save your $2 and spend it on any of the other wonderful joys life can bring. A good app, a cup of coffee, 2 hours worth of parking. They are all better investments than this game. It may be shiny and colorful from the screenshots, but stay far away from this one.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
12-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Game Impressions

Well. At a first glance it does exactly what it promises in the description. You get a cute little pinball table with three balls for one coin, two flippers and a rather big orb. Pretty basic and clearly arranged layout, good physics and nice electromechanical sounds of the previous millenium. Arcade feeling.

Plunger is fix timed & not adjustable. No "ball saved" after an early loss. No accelerometer support except "Tilt!". No pause/resume. Well balanced, not too hard. Local and global scores. Stable and smooth on my iPhone 3G after playing it for ten minutes or so. Game launch (homescreen icon to playable table): Ten seconds.

In a "design" window you can move each of the three bumpers, save the new table and play it. That seems to be the special thing in this pinball simulator. They should expand this feature for other table elements.

The pinball simulator is not bad but the recently published Jungle Style Pinball by Gameprom is much better and cheaper.

Behind the "?" there is a hint for an upcoming "Pinball Maker". Promising as well as their website. As soon as this system gets additional content it could become interesting.

Here you have some more screenshots (one with replaced bumpers):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9027.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	12576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9028.PNG
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	12577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9029.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	12578  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9030.PNG
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	12579  

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 12-23-2009 at 06:52 AM.
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post
Wow, that didn't take long. Let's just say I was better off before when I had missed this thread.

I definitely can't recommend this game in any way, shape, or form. First of all, the physics are just terrible. The ball stutters and actually teleports around the table frequently. When it's not stuttering it's acting oddly when engaging with the objects. The flippers are jerky and don't respond that well to taps, which is frustrating.

The graphics are pretty poor. It looks halfway decent from screenshots, but the ball has no visible motion to it, so it just looks like a paper cut-out floating around the table. The table itself is colorful and ok looking, but there's practically no animations of any kind. The 3 bumpers don't react at all when you hit them, and even any of the lights that get lit up are dull and not particularly eye catching. Everything is pretty lifeless.

The gimmick of this game is the supposed customization of the table. This consists of being able to move the 3 bumpers to wherever you like. That's it. There is not one other single change you can make. I tried a couple different variations, but wasn't able to come up with anything that dramatically altered the dull gameplay. Naturally, that boredom led me to use the three bumpers to clog all the outlanes:

This led to me maxing out the machine at 1,999,900. Seriously? You're going to have a pinball machine max out at 2 million? Apparently a couple other people got the same idea by the looks of the leaderboards:

The game has this online leaderboard and you can post scores to facebook. I didn't bother. There aren't any other options in the game except to disable sounds, which in keeping with this game's theme of failing, didn't disable the sounds. Once you start playing the game, there's no way to back out to the main menu to check scores or design more fabulous original levels. You have to exit the entire app and re-enter, which is just another irritating slap in the face.

Save your $2 and spend it on any of the other wonderful joys life can bring. A good app, a cup of coffee, 2 hours worth of parking. They are all better investments than this game. It may be shiny and colorful from the screenshots, but stay far away from this one.
ah ****!

When I first saw this I was almost soiling myself.

I trust BOARDUMB though, thanks for the honest review.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
12-23-2009, 12:22 PM
tnx

@BOARDUMB - Thanks for the review. As a kid, I was a huge fan of Pinball Construction Set and I so wanted this to be good! Truly a TOFTT on your part.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
boardumb, you need to post your review on the user reviews section, people need to know not to get this.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat