★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Nano - $0.99 (Jan 16th '09, by Rustcycle)

01-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Nano - $0.99 (Jan 16th '09, by Rustcycle)

Today a new game was released by rustcycle, it's called Nano.

App store link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301310346
Appshopper link (to see the additional images): http://appshopper.com/games/nano

From what I've read on the app store description and the home page (http://rustcycle.com/nano.php), it's similar to www.playauditorium.com.
You place nodes that change the electromagnetic field and the way particles move. The goal is to make the particles touch the nodes. The effect it has on the sound is also a major part of the game.

Here it's slightly different from playauditorium, in which you use nodes to change the particle movement but the particles need to be guided not to the nodes, but to other goals. Another difference is that in Nano you guide the particles yourself, while in playauditiorium the particles already come in from a certain fixed angle. At least, that's what I'm thinking after reading the description.

This game excites me, but I'm not the kind of person that takes the jump to purchase a game easily. So I'd like to know if there is anyone who (maybe after playing playauditorium) wants to try this game and share his/her opinion.

I think it all depends on how polished the game looks while playing (how the particles move, how smooth it is, etc).
Anyway, all comments are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NANO_mockup2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	806  

Stefan

Last edited by spmwinkel; 01-16-2009 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Changed 'submitted' to 'released' since the game became available today.
01-16-2009, 03:32 AM
This looks very interesting. I await to see some reviews before trying it myself though.

Already have a large enough backlog right now.

Update
Just checked out PlayAuditorium; very cool. Was fun and relaxing, all while keeping me thinking as it got harder.

If Nano really is similar, then I'd have no problem picking it up.

Update 2
Downloading now.

Update 3
The experience is somewhat similar, but the gameplay is quite different. Especially with the introduction of the malign (bad) particles that you have to keep away from the nodes.

It becomes more of a game of round-up the benign (good) particles and direct them to unactivated nodes while keeping the malign ones away.

Once activated, as more benign particles are brought to the node, it forms a shield which can protect itself from the malign particles and filter them automatically.

The music produced is not nearly as relaxing as what I experienced from PlayAuditorium, but it's not bad either.

Personally, I'm not as impressed with Nano as I was with PlayAuditorium, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

I mentioned that the PlayAuditorium game kept me thinking to solve the puzzle, this is not true with Nano. I think this is due to the player having full control of the particle movement. It's no longer a puzzle, it's more of a task to activate the nodes.

For 99 cents, if you want a similar experience, Nano is pretty awesome.

Update 4
You can return to the menu at any time and play again right where you left off as long as you don't exit the game entirely to the home screen or turn off the device. Once you leave the game, it restarts from scratch. There are no profiles or any progress tracking.

That aside, the game is well polished; what is there does seem complete. Nothing feels as if it was rushed for release and I've not run across any bugs or crashes.

Update 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
You place nodes that change the electromagnetic field and the way particles move. The goal is to make the particles touch the nodes. The effect it has on the sound is also a major part of the game.
This is where the the PlayAuditorium game and Nano game differ. It'd make sense to think the nodes are like the directional nodes from the PlayAuditorium game. But the nodes are placed automatically when the level begins, with the particles spawning from the center of the field. When the level begins, the nodes just seem to slide into place from off-screen. The placement of the nodes change from level to level.

Quote:
Here it's slightly different from playauditorium, in which you use nodes to change the particle movement...
You use your finger in a swiping motion to change the direction of the particle movement. It seems to have something to do with the gray lines in the background. As you swipe, their position/direction of those gray lines (in the area of the swipe) change and all the particles follow.

Quote:
but the particles need to be guided not to the nodes, but to other goals.
The goal is to actually guide the particles (the benign ones) to the nodes. As more good particles reach a node, it becomes closer to activating until it finally does. Any malign particles brought to the node will deactivate it and slow your progress. Once all nodes (usually 3 total, from the levels I played) are activated, the level is complete.

Activating the nodes beyond normal, until they have a shield, is optional; they just need to be activated. The shield does help a lot though, as any malign particles brought past it instantly vanish.

Unactivated nodes are grayish-blue.
Activated nodes turn yellowish in the center circle.
Shielded nodes are the ones with that blue glowing ring (rings while animated) around them.

Quote:
I think it all depends on how polished the game looks while playing (how the particles move, how smooth it is, etc).
It is very smooth, you don't be disappointed in that aspect.

Hope this helped some.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 01-16-2009 at 04:54 AM.

01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Wow! I was keeping track of my inbox for hours, hoping to get an e-mail notification about a new reply being posted to this topic. I saw your initial reply, but I obviously wasn't informed about your updates.

Thanks for your comments. The progress tracking worries me. If the game has a nice progressing difficulty, don't you think it will get annoying really easily to start from scratch every time? I mean, you need to go through the tutorial again I assume, and work your way through all older levels before you get to a difficulty that actually challenges and entertains you?

I'll wait for your/someone else's reply and send an e-mail to the developer, and probably hold off my purchase until something gives me the last push I need.

---------
Edit - here's the e-mail:

Quote:
Hello,

Today I saw that your game Nano was released in the iTunes App Store. Since I played http://www.playauditorium.com a few weeks ago I was excited to see your game appear in my "New games" list and looked it up in iTunes. I started a discussion about it on the TouchArcade forums: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...highlight=nano

There, user Donburns99 said:

You can return to the menu at any time and play again right where you left off as long as you don't exit the game entirely to the home screen or turn off the device. Once you leave the game, it restarts from scratch. There are no profiles or any progress tracking.

I wonder if this is the best design possible. In general with games I like to continue on the level I left off, and not start with the early (tutorial) levels again and spend quite some time before I get to the levels that really challenge and entertain me at that point. How do you feel about this, and if you agree that Nano actually should have saving of progress, would you be willing to add it in an update?

Looking forward to your reply, and have a great weekend,

Stefan

p.s. My username on the TouchArcade forums is spmwinkel. If you'd like, feel free to join the forums. Developer presence is highly valued and it's a great way of getting in contact with (potential) customers. But a simple reply by e-mail would be greatly appreciated already as well.

Stefan

Last edited by spmwinkel; 01-16-2009 at 09:15 AM.
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Wow this is my first time trying playauditorium and it's an amazing game! Why didn't they just port that straight onto the iphone, I sure as hell would buy it.
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I also asked the playauditorium devs to port it and I believe many others have. I even believe that there's a topic about it here.

Stefan
01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I too was really excited when i saw this come out last night... but i was about to sleep and i figured.. ehh it can wait.. for the morning.. however i did spend last night listening to the music on the rustcycle myspace....
still waiting on auditorium...
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I just downloaded this a minute ago. I was curious about it last night, but decided to wait for someone to try it first. I just tried www.playauditorium.com and really liked it. Thanks for that link.
01-16-2009, 11:14 AM
No problem, everyone should give it a try. I also just purchased Nano after the dev replied to my e-mail. He's waiting for his TouchArcade account to be activated so he can join the discussion here.

Stefan
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
yeah there have been several people pushing them to port auditorium over.. i'd pay probably $5 for it.. the music is the best part, and is very relaxing!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
If you know any video about this game please post it here! Thanks.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8