★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: [Tap Jockey] is a horse racing game.
You run your horse by tapping the screen and adjusting its speed.
Each horse has values on 3 features; "speed" "stamina" and "sense".
You can create a unique horse by adjusting each value with points earned at races.
Points are awarded when you win a race, then you can adjust each features before proceeding to the next race (maximum 6 races).

Info on each race***
Race 1 ... Pawn Cup 1200m(3/4mile)
Race 2 ... Knight Cup 1200m(3/4mile)
Race 3 ... Bishop Cup 1600m(1mile)
Race 4 ... Rook Cup 1600m(1mile)
Race 5 ... Queen Cup 2400m(1 1/2mile)
Race 6 ... King Cup 2400m(1 1/2mile)
Total of the field is 8 horses including your horse.
Lead your horse to victory by distributing the features and judging other horses' types and abilities.
12-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Not surprised to see this not getting much attention, but actually this isn't at all a bad little game. Particularly if you have an interest in horse racing. Bet some people would be surprised if they actually tried this. I hear there's a "lite" on the way too.

12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I want to love this game, but I'm not sure if I have it figured out. They neglect to mention what the dark blue/red bar is. I've come in first on a few races, but I'm not sure exactly how I did it. I'm not giving up on it though. I'll play it a few more times and hope for a breakthrough.
12-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogtorch View Post
I want to love this game, but I'm not sure if I have it figured out. They neglect to mention what the dark blue/red bar is. I've come in first on a few races, but I'm not sure exactly how I did it. I'm not giving up on it though. I'll play it a few more times and hope for a breakthrough.
That is your speed bar. The bar at the bottom is stamina. When the speed bar turns red you lose stamina faster.

Basically, the strategy is in balancing your speed against your stamina. A general tip is try to keep your speed bar in the blue until the home stretch, then go all out. It varies though, as if you are riding your horse in front you can save your run until a little later. If you are coming from behind, you want to start your run from around the home turn. Experiment and see what works. The same strategy won't work every time, as in real racing.

After a couple of days with this game I'm only more impressed. Never mind the cartoony graphics, there is actually a robust racing model underneath. Different tactics work, you can win from the front or from behind, often needing to adjust your strategy on the fly.

Would love to see this more fleshed out into a real racing game with different racedays, horses to ride, etc. instead of just the current "7 races to beat the game," but the racing experience itself is definitely spot on. Pity to see this game get ignored.

Last edited by Gabrien; 12-28-2009 at 04:13 AM.
12-31-2009, 03:34 PM
I've given it a few more tries and seem to be picking up on the subtleties. I'm not giving up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
That is your speed bar. The bar at the bottom is stamina. When the speed bar turns red you lose stamina faster.
Hey thanks. So what exactly is the light blue bar on the far left?
01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Very good question - didn't figure it out myself, so I'm interested, what the other jockeys around here have to suggest
01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I love the artwork and retro simplicity in Goals! so this game looks really appealing to me. I do however not want to dish out 1.19 and find out it's not what I'm hoping it is.
Anybody got more impressions? What's the AI like, and the upgrading system? For me the most important question: is it a proper pick up and play game?

Add me on Game Center - EIIIOT
Massive Outwitters and Jetpack Joyride fan
01-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I think I'll pick it up. I'll post some impressions later.
01-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles View Post
I think I'll pick it up. I'll post some impressions later.
Let us know your impressions please

Add me on Game Center - EIIIOT
Massive Outwitters and Jetpack Joyride fan
01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
As far as I can tell, the light blue bar on the left is your speed. The dark blue/red bar is how hard you're driving the horse.