★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is Need for Speed: Shift better than Real Racing?

12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Is Need for Speed: Shift better than Real Racing?

I'm now considering the purchase of Shift since it went on sale, but I'm just curious if it's better than Real Racing. It seems so, and it looks like it'd have more features and more of an arcade feeling, which I enjoy. I'm not a huge racing fan, but I do like the games and I enjoyed Undercover ALOT. Is it worth the purchase?
12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
They're both worth owning, it's really hard to say which is the better of the two.

From our preview-

Quote:
With so few truly high quality 3D racing games on the App Store, comparisons are inevitable, and we've already had some heated debates on our forums regarding Need For Speed: Shift versus Real Racing [App Store]. In my opinion, both games are worth owning. Shift edges ahead of Real Racing due to the inclusion of real licensed cars instead of generic sports cars and Volkswagens as well as having a better career mode.

But, on the other hand, Real Racing seems to have better, more realistic, and much more aggressive AI opponents. Shift seems to fall victim to the same problem as many other racing games on the platform with opponents that just seem to want to follow their own little racing line and generally just ignore you entirely. Also, while I can't completely confirm the existence of irritating rubberband AI in Shift, I been in a few races where I've pulled very far ahead of my opponents only to see them zooming up behind me on the mini map from out of nowhere. I suppose it's always possible they decided to dump their nitrous tanks to catch up to me, but it does seem suspect.

12-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
I'm now considering the purchase of Shift since it went on sale, but I'm just curious if it's better than Real Racing. It seems so, and it looks like it'd have more features and more of an arcade feeling, which I enjoy. I'm not a huge racing fan, but I do like the games and I enjoyed Undercover ALOT. Is it worth the purchase?
If you like Undercover, you will likely dig Shift. Personally, I prefer the ability to manually accelerate in Real Racing, but I have to admit that NFS: Shift is pretty damn impressive, even to someone who didn't care for Underground.
12-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Hmm... They both sound good though... I'm trying to make the decision. I probably won't get Real Racing but I'm really looking at this one now and I definetly have the money to make the purchase.
12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
The only thing I didn't like about Shift was the arcade aspect; I really didn't like the whole get X amount of stars to advance, especially when it came to the drift events.

EDIT: Also, another thing I didn't like was that the AI in Shift is not as aggressive as Real Racing's AI.

memory cards

Last edited by weedeatinflyincougar; 12-22-2009 at 05:32 PM.
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I have Real Racing and it is pretty amazing. If I already own NFSU, is there no point in getting NFSS? Are they too similar?
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchgamer3g View Post
I have Real Racing and it is pretty amazing. If I already own NFSU, is there no point in getting NFSS? Are they too similar?
Deleted both RR and NFSU after 15 minutes playing Shift.
12-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I might get this for the realistic aspect. I just need a semi-realistic racer and I think that Real Racing is just too realistic for me, not enough arcade elements. Plus with a better career mode, I think I might go for it. I'm also looking at Asphalt 5 too (yes, I had to throw another one into the mix. Sorry) due to its arcade elements and Burnout-like gameplay. One question on that though, how are the takedowns? If they're hard to do or just not impressive I think I'll skip it.
12-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post

Did you try the lite version of RR?

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsamd View Post
Did you try the lite version of RR?

Yeah, I played it back when it came out. I was just curious of how much of an improvement/downgrade it was from RR to Shift, so I could have something to compare it to.