★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How afraid are Devs of making $30 iphone games? Do they need to be? U3 Engine Content

12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
How afraid are Devs of making $30 iphone games? Do they need to be? U3 Engine Content

You can charge whatever you want. In my eyes, the iPhone/iTouch is pricey enough that people who own one would drop $30+ dollars if the game was good enough.

With the new Q3 Engine, I could easily drop $30 bux on like a 40+ hour rpg... I could drop $60 bux if it was even more...

Not to mention a FPS that has a serious story and intense maps/leaderboards/online mode with CTF, King of the Hill, Deathmatch CTF (my own idea, not sure how original it is), Detonate and Disarm etc..

Do you think the Dev's are seriously afraid of dropping pricy titles? I think Apple's touch device market is pretty broad and has cash to spend (although I DO NOT want Dev's thinking that we have cash flowing out of our pockets, and I will not pay for overpriced stuff to fuel that fantasy.)

I say look to the PSP pricing of these games to test the waters. I think the market is ready and the technology is now demanding Dev's to start getting serious.

Quake 3 engine alone allows:
FPS
RPG's
RTS

Anything!

I really like the fact that the Quake 3 engine will be available because it allows Dev's time to focus on artwork, story, and content rather than their engine (although I absolutely loathe the 'roller skate' feel of many games like UT etc., this is easily adjustable IMO)
12-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Until someone makes a dual joystick control pad for the iphone that replicates how it feels to game on the Xbox 360's pad, I'll pass on $30 games.

Playing on the touchpad is while decent, just not that immersive or fun. So until they make a dual joystock, dual trigger sexy control pad attachment for the iPhone, people won't be able to justify plopping down that much on a game.

Also, the graphics would also have to be a lot better, which means that it would have to be a newer generation of iPhone. Something with...

720p Video Recording

5.0 Megapixel Camera with Flash and a much much bigger lens so that it actually takes decent photos even in very low light situations

Backlit OLED Screen with 720 x 480 Resolution

9th Gen VX Dual Core 2.0 Ghz HD Capable Processor

4G Capable

Wifi N

Bluetooth 3.0

64 GB

1 Ghz of Ram

HD Antenna and TV Tuner (There are constantly hd tv signals being broadcast by ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Why not let us tap into those signals so that we can what hdtv on our phones wherever we are)

HD Radio Tuner & FM Transmitter

HDMI TV Out/Projector Out So We Can Run High Res Movies & Slideshows Stored on Our Phone on our HDTVs.

A Low Reflective Screen Mode For When You Wish To Read Ebooks On The iPhone

Not as much real estate wasted on the front of the phone as current iPhones (The black part on the top and bottom of the iphone need to be much smaller, basically, almost all of the front of the phone should be the screen) It's ugly how much space/real estate is wasted on the current design of the front of the iPhone

Front facing camera so that we could make videocalls, atleast while connected to Wifi N

iChat Support

Flash Support (I want to access hulu from my iphone damn it!)

RFID Chip & IR Chip (So that you can use it as a universal remote)

Removable/Replacable Battery

Over the air sync with Macs, Apple TV, PC Servers etc, so that we can stream HD Videos off of our PCs to our iPhones anytime we have WiFi Access, and Can Even Stream HD Content from Our Phones to our HDTVs

Touch-sensitive places at all corners (at left and right of home button and top right and top left) (so you can use an app without blocking your view with your hands and it would be a great improvement like 'scrolling' or something like that) with easy turn on and off like double tap in corners at the same time (you won't have an 'accident double tap at two corners at the same time

Louder Dual Speakers (I'm sick of accidently covering up the speaker while playing games)

A sexy looking gamepad addon that adds dual analog sticks and dual triggers to the iPhone so that gaming on the iPhone actually becomes FUN

Last edited by wikoogle; 12-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.

12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Well looking at the PSP, the games there are $40 each, and in my eyes the Q3 engine is better than anything on there, just leaving room for content (and at 8gb minimum, there is lots of room).

I suggest comparing the games vs the PSP rather than console, because we are talking about the portable market.

I personally find that the controls on the PSP are not vastly better than the touch device (which I prefer to have zero controls because of its other purposes)

I have said that if the touch devices ever got a keyboard, there is an automatic D-pad and button layout.. (but I would rather forego the keyboard)
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post
Until someone makes a dual joystick control pad for the iphone that replicates how it feels to game on the Xbox 360's pad, I'll pass on $30 games.
I heard they were coming out with a gamepad for the iPod, or that it is already out. idk. I think that I would pay 30 easy for a good port of Half Life 2 and some other games. I have been wishing they would do this for a long time, since they began talking about bioshock. 3 Part installment and crisp graphics, I think there is a market, no doubt.

Openfeint/Plus+/Gameloft Live: craighauser
Join T.A.A.P To Help End Piracy
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
In my eyes, I hope we see new games, not just a million ports.. perhaps games that even utilize the touch device, accelerometer, and (triple?) axis... franchises that could evolve with the device
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
How about we reach the $20 mark before we talk about $30 games.

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
You guys have to take into account the size of $30 games. I dont have that much room anymore.
12-22-2009, 07:18 PM
And don't forget that if you remove your $30 game from the device you lose all your saved data.
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I think another problem with something like a $30 FPS is that to have multiplayer you need lots of players. When Eliminate first came out it had about 2,000 players online at any point in time, for a $30 game to get that it would be pretty difficult since most people are now accustomed to paying less than $9.99 for apps.

Although if it was really awesome it may have a chance.
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
You guys have to take into account the size of $30 games. I dont have that much room anymore.
What device are you using? If you have 8gb you have to realize that you cant put everything you want on your iPhone... if you have more I say its just a balance of what you want, your entire cd collection/every tv show+movie/and a bunch of apps...

I think that in the app department you could atleast replace older apps with the new stuff, as for other content..

you get what you pay for, if you drop the cash on 32gb then you have room for everything, if you dont, you need to make some decisions.. all i can say is that I doubt that even with the 8gb of content you couldn't make room for a PSP-like game, and if your just too lazy to switch them all out (understandable).. you get what you pay for

----

As for not enough players, I think the touch device market of apple's is affluent enough to populate the game

and as for losing data when you delete the game... why delete it if your not done with it? and if you dont have room (u get what you pay for) it might be nice if the dev's could make a backup system with ur iTunes

Last edited by acidshaman; 12-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.