★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: sLeek Games
  • Genre: Racing
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 39.6 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (6)
App description: Running With Scissors :: Pre-Season

Introducing: "Running With Scissors: Pre-Season"

It's an action-strategy racing game, with an 9+ age target, and rpg collectible aspects for the characters equipment that changes their in-game graphics. Its theme is 'stranger and stranger', with obstacles like giant eyes on stalks that wink at you, tsunamis, kittens and meteor showers.

There are scratch n' win elements at the end of every race, a bunch of different outfits for your character that change your capabilities and affect the obstacles you encounter.

The graphics are a mix of flash based vector animation and 3d graphics rendered into a series of 2d sprite sheets, which allow an incredibly lush and vibrant visual experience at high enough frame rates to be visually seamless, on the target of 2nd gen iPod touch devices & iPhone 3G. The game is still fully functional on the 1st generation devices.

Sounds have been done in-house, and are a mix of funny voiceovers and environmental effects, with custom, high quality music.

For our initial release, we are targeting single player gameplay modes with advanced, non-cheating AI, and with leaderboards (coming soon).

Upcoming:

Awards systems hooked into the ngmoco plus+ system!
<FREE> More Worlds! "Really, Really Dry", "Pond Side", and "Dark Side Of The Moon"
<FREE> More Accessories! Full outfits to unlock and buy!
<DLC> Powerful new capabilities for your runner!

Buy Today! You won't find a more unique title than this!

Thanks,
Sleek Games

psionic's comments:
Sleek Games is proud to present: "Running With Scissors: Pre-Season"

We hope that you'll enjoy this product, and we've got lots of cool stuff (like Plus+ leaderboards) coming in the next month as free updates

The lite version is here:

http://www.itunes.com/apps/runningwithscissorslitecut

I'm the main programmer, Chris, so if you've got any questions or comments, I'd love to hear 'em!
12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Oh nice it looks like the appinfo has finally shown up.

..Edited.. much better quality video (updated again for clarity)

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by psionic; 01-03-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: much better video

12-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic View Post
Oh nice it looks like the appinfo has finally shown up.
And the video we recorded a few weeks ago
Stopped at 2:30 watching a virtual figure putting on trousers and boots (such things I can watch everyday in my bedrooms). Is there something like a gameplay?

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
12-23-2009, 04:54 PM
lol absolutely.. 3:49 starts the action

This video was done at the last minute to submit to the IGF mobile indie game awards, so the picture quality is lacking, we're going to get a much more pro one done up in january sometime, 6:59 has some better color shots.
12-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Game Impressions

This game is FUN!

I just wanted to download something for my 2 yo for christmas and saw this and thought "hmmmmm, good for a 2yo?" the answer is "YES!"
Also, it's really good for adults. Super fun! I like the silly thought bubbles above the character as you get caught by cuddly kittens (and other things).
I like how it can be casual (single run) or not (world tournament).

I found the obstacle placing and avoidance to be a little challenging at first, but I didn't start with the world tournament, which it seems, is easier.

I also didn't go through the "how to play" at first.... I would definitely recommend that.

I like this because it has strategy elements and is fast paced, while not being too complex.

My two year old likes the cats.

also like that it is an indie developer. $4.99 seems like a reasonable price for hours of fun for me and my daughter.
12-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
This game is FUN!

I just wanted to download something for my 2 yo for christmas and saw this and thought "hmmmmm, good for a 2yo?" the answer is "YES!"
Also, it's really good for adults. Super fun! I like the silly thought bubbles above the character as you get caught by cuddly kittens (and other things).
I like how it can be casual (single run) or not (world tournament).

I found the obstacle placing and avoidance to be a little challenging at first, but I didn't start with the world tournament, which it seems, is easier.

I also didn't go through the "how to play" at first.... I would definitely recommend that.

I like this because it has strategy elements and is fast paced, while not being too complex.

My two year old likes the cats.

also like that it is an indie developer. $4.99 seems like a reasonable price for hours of fun for me and my daughter.
awesome thanks for the great response

and to everyone else who's interested but on the fence, from tomorrow until new year's (jan 1) we'll be having a random contest for a free download code! Stay tuned!
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic View Post
awesome thanks for the great response

and to everyone else who's interested but on the fence, from tomorrow until new year's (jan 1) we'll be having a random contest for a free download code! Stay tuned!
All for ONE code?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
All for ONE code?
nope one code every day sorry to be a bit vague on that.
12-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Game Impressions

Well so far I've been having a lot of fun with this addicting racer. For those who are uncertain as to what is going on in those screenshots, Running With Scissors is a unique racing game where you use two fingers to "run" (repetitive swiping) and as you run you build up energy to jump or even fly. On the bottom of the screen is your energy bar, a mini map of obstacles and other racers, and a selection of obstacles for you to launch on your opponents. There are actually two control modes in the game, and only one of those is shown in the screenshots. With the first mode the menus are smaller and two pedals appear on the screen. As you swipe one down the other goes up. You must quickly "run" to the finish line as fast as possible while avoiding traps. As you build energy up from running you can jump or fly over obstacles in your way. When the bar on the bottom turns blue/green (blue is enough to jump and green is enough to fly) take both pedals and swipe them up. To get into the other control mode simply take your fingers off the screen for a few seconds and the menus enlarge for you to unleash obstacles onto your competitors. You tap on the picture of the runner you want to put the obstacle in front of and drag the picture onto one of the pictures on the bottom. You can unleash all sorts of random things like cats or mountains. Another aspect of the game is customizing your runner. As you can see in the first few minutes of the video, there are a lot of different items and sets you can collect. To obtain these items you can either buy them with gold, or you have a chance to get them from a scratch card at the end of a race (you have to match 3 of the same item pictures to get it). All of the items can affect your runner by offering varying stat boosts.

Overall I think that it surely is a unique game, however it can get repetitive (though it can also be quite a challenge). There are two game modes, quick race and championship. In championship there are other levels to unlock however I haven't won many races and have yet to unlock them.
Some might be turned off by the price of $4.99, however in the big picture of things that really isn't that much money.

12-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Awesome thanks for the feedback Seishu

Just a quick FYI, I'll be posting the contest rules tomorrow before things kick off, and some of the contests will be creative ways to expand the gameplay (I'll be explaining more of why this game has the tag "Pre-Season" in the title)

Last edited by psionic; 12-23-2009 at 11:06 PM.